4x4 what would you buy....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveoclockpimp

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 4x4....I would like to stay Yamaha true.....is that a good idea??? Looking to spend around 2500....350-660 cc 4x4 I dont care what year...I want locking diffs....I am thinking Big Bear or Early Grizz 600........What else is out there comprable that you would consider or own??? I plan on putting some monstrous gorilla tires on it.......

I always thought of honda as being a better 4x4, their only real shortcoming is the models with drum brakes. Hondas are by far the most indestructible machines out there.

Regardless of what brand you go with, i'd go no lower than 600cc with big tires if you have any concerns about performance. My buddy has a suzuki eiger 400 with the semi-auto trans, and with 28" ams swamp foxes the thing is a total dog. Not even as fast as a honda recon now. It takes every bit of steam it has to clear a jump that i can clear starting right at the base of the jump from a dead stop. The bigger machines also handle the extra stress of the big tires better, they're generally built a little more robust and can handle more forces.

Belive it or not I still want a Wolverine 4X4. FST makes a manuel clutch conversion kit for it and it would be awsome. Plus everything you can do to a Warrior you can do to a Wolvey like a 446. A 446 Wolverine and manuel clutch would be a pretty sick 4X4 as it only weighs 480 lbs and with 45HP would spank all 4X4s out there.

yea I was thinking about the WOLVERINe....This is in my research stage right now while saving up for it.....The bigger the better, but the price goes up as well, thats my only concern...Anyone have experience with Polaris Sportsmans??? or the Hondas?? It will break my pride to ride ride.....so I would prefer anything else lol

screw polaris, the newer ones turn to crap real quick if you abuse them or take them away from stock form and put more stress on the stock parts. Now, back in the day, like the late 80's and early 90's, those will take a beating like no other, the new ones just don't have the durabilty or reliability they should from what i've seen. At the local shop nearly half the quads i see there for service are polaris, and they probably only account for about a tenth of the quads around here.

I'd stay away from suzuki too, i've seen too many design flaws in them as well. They're generally good machines except they're not as refined as a yamaha or honda, and usually have a lot of little stuff that needs redesigned or modifed to make them work right, even stock.

You could make a pretty badass ride out of one of the 4x4 350 wolverines, the pre-automatic models. I can't stand to look at the new ones, they're an embarrassment to the yamaha name in my opinion.

YamaRider said:
You could make a pretty badass ride out of one of the 4x4 350 wolverines, the pre-automatic models. I can't stand to look at the new ones, they're an embarrassment to the yamaha name in my opinion.
Perfectly said bro. The new Wolvey is a joke.

dave76 said:
YamaRider said:

haha I totally agree on that one...its like something from another land.....but the wolvy is a pretty solid machine otherwise?? Anything 4x4 will go through pretty much anything anyway......I just want to make it a little more mud worthy than most...

If you want a big Utility, you can't go wrong with Honda. My dad has a 89 Honda 300 and that thing has been an absolute tank (for almost 20 years!!). My girlfriends dad has an Artic Cat, and it goes good, but he's had all kinds of problems.

TwelveOclockpimp said:
dave76 said:

haha I totally agree on that one...its like something from another land.....but the wolvy is a pretty solid machine otherwise?? Anything 4x4 will go through pretty much anything anyway......I just want to make it a little more mud worthy than most...

Yeah, the wolvy is a pretty tough machine, there aren't really any weaknesses i know of other than those that plague any 4x4 - heavy, underpowered, and top heavy. I'd say the wolvy is a little better handling than most, not as heavy as most 4x4's, and it has the benefit of good aftermarket support.

I personally wouldn't go any larger than 26" tires on it, that should be a pretty good balance of weight to traction, and avoid clearance issues. The 28's on my buddy's eiger caused all kinds of clearance issues, we had to cut the fenders to keep them from hitting, modify the floorboards and mudflaps with a sawzall and an old fire extinguisher (hammer wasn't big enough lol). Turned it into a real beast of a machine, but we had to bump up the power and put aftermarket shocks on it to keep it ridable, and it's still sort of a turd. Fun as hell to ride though, and there's nothing else that looks quite like it.

dads got a polaris scrambler 500 4x4.....that thing kick ass.....it had some issued when we got it but a few hours tinkering on it and the runs like no other and has yet to let us down.

If you need a true 4x4 I wouldn't get a Honda.
They are a dead reliable machine but Honda is still too stupid to put a locking front diff in them like all the competition has.
Kodiak or grizzly are really nice, I also like the Suzuki King Quads.

TwelveOclockpimp said:
Looking to buy a 4x4....I would like to stay Yamaha true.....is that a good idea??? Looking to spend around 2500....350-660 cc 4x4 I dont care what year...I want locking diffs....I am thinking Big Bear or Early Grizz 600........What else is out there comprable that you would consider or own??? I plan on putting some monstrous gorilla tires on it.......

32 inches, 30 or 28 inches? If you want those 32 to turn you better have a wallet and a half. I used to be a pretty hard core mudder. Right now the Canned Ham ( Can-Am) is pretty popular and then its the Brute force. Either way no honda is going to turn 32 in any bit of mud.

The can am still has the damn visco lock, I'd go with a brute force, that kawisaki v-twin is pretty damn robust.

Latest posts

Back