400ex ?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97warrior_rider

Reaction score
Hey guys this is not my favorite thing to ask but does anyone know reasons for an ex honda not starting?
Had a ba coil swapped it out now we have spark and fuel is not an issue but for some reason it seems to turn over and holds compression but will not start I need opinions guys my buddy saw the close nit family type of Forum we are, and asked for help. Any ideas would be appreciated .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure that fuel is getting into the cylinder? Sure that the spark is strong enough? What did it do before it shut down?

I started to slowly lose power which was from the coil giving out the spark is adequate and the plug indicated flooding which doesn't make any sense to me if it jumped a tooth on time would it act this way

Did you install a new spark plug? Plug may be fouled, and I'm sorry, but, there is no cleaning a fouled plug. Also, crank it with the plug removed. Clear out as much unburnt fuel that's trapped in the cylinder.

We bought a few plugs first one flooded cleared the system of excess fuel can't seem to get it cleared of all excess fuel though so tryed the 2nd plug and figured it would burn it off that turned out to be short lived same result with no start I'm stuck pat I have no clue what's going on

Plus the neutral light worked before and now it's intermittent it comes in and out nearly by chance

did you try shutting the fuel off and try starting maybe the float is stuck or something thus flooding it right away

I'll give it a try and see it made a racket when it first happened and he was 3 miles from our trucks he said it sounded like the chain slapped the plastic timing guide or rubbed it but further inspection has yet to occure do to work

I don't understand how every thing started actin weird all at once

I would start by checking the timing first then compression test it might have jumped a tooth or the chain may have snapped

That's kinda were I'm at at this point he just called and said carb mellowed out not dumpin fuel the float did get stuck I guess but still won't start I'll check timing and report back

Real weak now it's a pain in my ass I don't understand this bike it's in time fuels good rectifiers good stators good sparks still semi weak

Now I'm good on spark and fuel idk it's weird it was so sudden just shut down

It could even be a cdi issue. Is there another ex around you can borrow the cdi from? But, I would also do a compression test. It could be that it did jump timing and has low compression because of it. Either valves are not opening and closing at the proper time in relation to the piston, or, a valve(s) is bent. Confirm everything mechanically and go from there. You don't have to remove the rocker box to inspect timing. Although it is a much more accurate way to inspect.

Ya we inspected time pat it's right on time I'm with you on Cdi I have another ex I'm going to pull it from and see

Only other thing it could be is the stator assembly. Far as the ignition system goes. How id you conclude that the ignition coil was bad?

Oh, and also, you may want to make sure that the flywheel's woodruff key did not sheer. If it did, the flywheel would have spun freely from the crank and the ignition timing would be drastically out of whack. And, when you attempt to start it, the sudden force on the crank will actually spin the crank's spindle inside of the flywheel. Doing that may allow the flywheel to get close enough to it's proper spot to provide good spark.

Latest posts

Back