400ex ticking?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptor_350_racer

Reaction score
I picked up a pretty nice 08 400ex last night, got it cheap but its ticking.
every once in a while when I turn it off it will make a small "clunk".
I thought timing chain but why would that clunk?
also I will be adjusting the valves soon, just gotta get to doing it.

also gonna be building it up slowly, ordered a few things it needs but once the funds start coming together ill be doing a frame down build.

the clunk when shutting it off is the starter clutch going as for the ticking it could possibly have a Hot cam and stock springs or there's valve train problem in the head
Have you pulled the cam chain tensioner to see how far out it is a stretched cam chain will cause a lot of rattle and ticking

the clunk when shutting it off is the starter clutch going as for the ticking it could possibly have a Hot cam and stock springs or there's valve train problem in the head
Have you pulled the cam chain tensioner to see how far out it is a stretched cam chain will cause a lot of rattle and ticking

Haven't done anything yet. So starter clutch is going out?

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

if you take the center bolt out of the tensioner along with the spring behind it then loosen the other 2 bolts and take the tensioner out and see how far out the arm on the tensioner is if it's out all the way or close to then the timing chain is ready to be replaced

or you can take the valve cover or cam cover off and see if the chain is loose before you pull the tensioner not sure what an 08 400ex head looks like now going off of 99-02

if you take the center bolt out of the tensioner along with the spring behind it then loosen the other 2 bolts and take the tensioner out and see how far out the arm on the tensioner is if it's out all the way or close to then the timing chain is ready to be replaced

or you can take the valve cover or cam cover off and see if the chain is loose before you pull the tensioner not sure what an 08 400ex head looks like now going off of 99-02
OK.I'll be looking at it tomorrow,here's some pics.
ypadyra5.jpg
a8a5u3ab.jpg

9e9upyhy.jpg

Before you remove the timing chain tensionor, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS put the piston at TDC of the compression stroke. As for the valve noise, adjust the valves and see what happens. Those bikes are super quiet, engine wise. Check the timing chain slack, adjust the valves and see what happens. Like Ed said, could have a Hotcam with stock springs, and if that is the case then it is going to tic.

Before you remove the timing chain tensionor, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS put the piston at TDC of the compression stroke. As for the valve noise, adjust the valves and see what happens. Those bikes are super quiet, engine wise. Check the timing chain slack, adjust the valves and see what happens. Like Ed said, could have a Hotcam with stock springs, and if that is the case then it is going to tic.

If it's hotcam an stock springs should I buy different valve springs it just let it be?

you don't have to but if it does have a HC and the reason for the ticking you can get HD springs to quiet it

One other thing it could be is this; someone installed a cam other then a Hotcam (Web, Megacycle, or custom ground unit), and although they would have installed HD springs for any of those cams (they NEED them), they may no have had the rocker arms hardwelded. Hondas have thin cam lobe pads on their rockers, and they wear out fast with a real cam. the hotcam is made of softer metal, and allows you to get away with using the stock rockers. Still don't think I would run it without hardwelding them regardless.

One other thing it could be is this; someone installed a cam other then a Hotcam (Web, Megacycle, or custom ground unit), and although they would have installed HD springs for any of those cams (they NEED them), they may no have had the rocker arms hardwelded. Hondas have thin cam lobe pads on their rockers, and they wear out fast with a real cam. the hotcam is made of softer metal, and allows you to get away with using the stock rockers. Still don't think I would run it without hardwelding them regardless.

whats hard welding?
sorry for so many questions, I can do a full rebuild on a two stroke but 4 bangers are a little more confusing!

Hardwelding is the process of tig welding extra material to the cam lobe pads on the rockers, then regrinding them. It adds some material to the pad, but, it's main purpose is to add harder material to the pad so it lasts longer.

Nice man I have a modded 07 400ex too. All 400ex motors have a slight tick to them.How's that yoshi exhaust sound? Is it the full system? I'm thinking about getting it.

Nice man I have a modded 07 400ex too. All 400ex motors have a slight tick to them.How's that yoshi exhaust sound? Is it the full system? I'm thinking about getting it.
The Yoshi is a slip on, but it sounds very good.
It has such a nice tone and isn't overly loud or anything,I absolutely love it.
But I also heard they all tick, idk if this is normal or not, its not too loud of a tick but is noticeable

Te valves might need to be adjusted a little bit. But both mine And my 2 buddies 400ex all have noisy engines

Yea they're awesome quads man. I have my 400ex build thread going on here if u wanna check it out

Latest posts

Back