400ex and 660 raptor

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswwarrior350

Reaction score
So today i just happened to stumble upon a piped 400ex and 660 raptor. Well the 400ex asked me to race in a cocky, ill eat you alive sorda way.... Me having a blown head gasket, extremely out of adjustment valves, off jetting, and a dirty airfilter. I wasnt really up for racing anyone, but i said to hell with it and lined em up.

Well off the line it was a good even start untill i banged 3rd from my second gear holeshot, from there i cant tell you how much i pulled on him, because i couldnt see him , all i could hear was his extremley loud HMF fading back... Im not saying a smoked him but i wasnt impressed much

Next was the raptor which was all stock besides a graphics kit, so basically it was like he had an R1 motor in it because of the graphics, but anyway. To start it was dead even, around about 4th and 5th gear i edged about a full quad length and in 6th it stayed about the same untill i hit my max speed at that point he pulled on me slightly and passed because i was out of speed. However i feel if i had a 15 tooth front on instead of my more trail friendly 14 i would have edged the win in both acceleration and top speed..

Im quite impressed with the warrior this weekend, it showed me most of motor work has paid off. If i had everything all straightened out then i would even have a little more power.. Another thing, my clutch is a little slippy right now. But lets give a toast to the warrior today, since it was just about its last run before some major revamping again.

Lol what a coincidence. Just yesterday this happened to me, my neighbor just recently bought an 06 400ex and has been bragging on how good it runs. So one thing led to another and next thing you know we're lined up.

We decided on 300ft as always we didnt have a flag guy so he counted to 3 and then we went. I dont like racing like that but it was our only option.

We take off, he shifts into second and comes up on a wheelie as i blow past him and end up beating him by 2 bike lengths. The following races yielded the same results he would catch 2nd wheely and he would hear my HMF all the way to the finish. He would always sit really far forward but it still wheelied, i would always sit way back, rev it about 1/4 close to 1/2 throttle and drag out the clutch in 2nd gear and when i shift into 3rd i would be ahead of him till the end.

If we switched quads i honestly could have probably beat my own quad, maybe, it would be close. But drag racing is'nt just about how much hp its also about how you ride.

some guy on a 400 won't race me on a track but wants to drag me.... so i was like wth, i have hardly no mods yet tho, so idk how it will turn out....

why are some people scared to race? If you lose.. well you lose, big deal. I don't have anyone to race :( I know there are i think a kid with a warrior like mine down the road ( this kid with liek a 97 big bear said his friend had one and it looked like a warrior ) and a blaster but I haven't seen them up close, just from a distance ( can hear the ennoying 2 stroke! ). Next time I see them should I go challenge them!?

400 ex's don't impress me much at all. The first time I raced one I was sure I would lose with the raptor's 50cc disadvantage. All I had done was removed the baffle, airbox lid and rejetted, but I beat him by about a half a length. I don't remember what if anything he had done to the ex. I'd say weight difference but it's only 11 lbs, (that's the raptor and the new 400's, this guy had the last body style and i don't know what they weighed) and me and the other guy were about the same size.

I've dumped 600 into my motor and i still can't touch my friends 400ex all he has it a procircuit pipe a jet kit and k&N. He walks all over me all the time . He'll even let me get to 6th tappe out and he'll still beat me. I've rode his 400 and it pulls hard all the through enough to pull the wheels stright up in 5th and still go by me and i clocked mine at 70 with al my mods. I'm impressed with his honda anyway makes me think twice about the warrior

revoer:: Maybe your jetting is off. Or the mods you have just don't work well together, some high, and some low in the powerband? I dunno. List what you have, and where your from. Maybe we could help a bit. You should be able to walk all over him with $600 in motor work. With My work, My Warrior is quicker than my friends 400ex he has a two brothers pipe, and K&N, jetted nicely too. and that's with us alternating quads, so it's the machines, not the rider. My warrior wins regardless of rider.
~Bill

I have a stage one hot cam, all new valve train with polished head, 0.40 over 10:1 wiseco piston, 14 tooth front sprocket, 148 main jet,K&N filter,Cobra Pipe, modified airbox lid, i'm in illinois

and you only go 70??? i got just a filter and i go about 64-68 i think, thats what my friend had in his car one time

I have a stage one hot cam, all new valve train with polished head, 0.40 over 10:1 wiseco piston, 14 tooth front sprocket, 148 main jet,K&N filter,Cobra Pipe, modified airbox lid, i'm in illinois

ok well the 148 sounds a little light, and the hotcam is basically the Mildest aftermarket cam you can buy. As far as the Cobra pipe, I'm personally not too sure about it, some people on here said it can actually rob power from the machine.

Aside from those things, with just considering the bore, piston, filter. you should be able to atleast keep up with a 400ex. Though i think changing the pipe, and checking out your jetting would yield you the best results you'd be able to find for the money.

If you were to switch pipes, Any of the higher end ones are a good buy. Yoshi, FMF, White Bros, to name a few. They are all Quality pipes, and each person has their own likes and dislikes. On top of that different pipes place the power in different parts of the power band, depending on the canister length, longer pipe, higher up towards the top end.

(you should make a thread in general asking for some input from the board about making more power, and any options they can offer.)

Again, sorry for jacking your thread.
~Bill

i'm in the process of buying a stage 3 DG excellerator from bbbthreat. and i've got the complete jet kit so i'll try the 150. thats the biggest it has.

I've dumped 600 into my motor and i still can't touch my friends 400ex all he has it a procircuit pipe a jet kit and k&N. He walks all over me all the time . He'll even let me get to 6th tappe out and he'll still beat me. I've rode his 400 and it pulls hard all the through enough to pull the wheels stright up in 5th and still go by me and i clocked mine at 70 with al my mods. I'm impressed with his honda anyway makes me think twice about the warrior

That's odd.. my friends 400EX has a hot cam T4 muffler headwork, and changed frnt sprocket. My Raptor only has a debaffled muffler jet kit, K&N, and me on it.. it smoked the 400 before I ever finished 5th gear, then I hit 6th and left him.

Latest posts

Back