400 wolverine?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolvyRider

Reaction score
anyone know if its possible to put a 400cc big bear motor/trans on a wolverine? my buddys sellin his bear and i would love to have the 400's power and lower gears on the wolvy. i was lookin at them side by side and everything looks similar, but he wont let me try before i buy!Anyone ever try this? thanks, scott

This is really a question for a yammy tech, or someone who has tried/looked into trying it before. I too would be all about sneaking a larger engine in there, maybe something watercooled, but I have to find something cheap enough to experiment with...

If you give it a go, let us know how it works out.

If nothing else, buy it try it, and if it doesn't work, clean the bike when reassembling it and hopefully sell it for a small profit :D

Yes im dyin to try it, for 2 grand it will be worth it either way!! Now i just got to save up a bit. If it dont work ill just keep both anyway!! Someones had to have tried it before?

Alright, I am considering this now myself. Did you ever try it or does anyone else have any experience or info on a larger motor swao into a 350 Wolvy?

I have read that others have done it befor but have not seen one first hand. Im curious, is the BB faster, I know it has lower gearing but what about top end. Im impressed with my top end, I keep up with the bigger bikes no problem. Also is the gearing in the engine or in the diffs.

Yup, done it. Bolts right in the only thing you have to modify is upper motor mount bracket. It has to be drilled out a little because the cylinder on the 400 is 8mm taller than the 350 cylinder. (Longer Stroke) Then once you throw a high compression piston (warrior/ wolverine) in it the motor is a beast. Mine will pick the front end up in second gear and I'm rolling 28" tires.

As far as gearing. The gearing is different only in the motor. The diffs in almost all Yamaha's are 3.67:1. All five gears in the BB are lower because the secondary reduction gear is lower. (The gear that comes out of the transmission) On top of that 1st gear is lower too which is why it has such a low first gear. I love the BB gearing but I also ride mostly mud and don't care for top end when I'm on 28" tall tires. If your liking your top end I would think about just using the cylinder and crank/rod out of the 400 to make yours a 400 yet keep your wolvy gearing.

2K isn't too bad for a BB but you can find a motor alone for much cheaper. I found someone parting one out on Highlifter and got the motor for $400.

Latest posts

Back