3rd ride and I lost my rear brakes!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsxguy77

Reaction score
So, last weekend I went riding with my buddies. Taking the Wolverine out for its 2nd "real" ride but 3rd in total. Anyway, I was about to go down a steep hill and I hear a very loud bang and then my rear brake lever was complete mush. I got off the quad and looked and I saw this...

IMG_5909.jpg

Actuallym this picture was taken a little later after I removed the brake line and the caliper. The caliper was just sitting in the wheel well and messing up the rotor and eventually was making it hard for the wheel to turn so we had to remove the tire and take it off so I can get out of the woods. I continued to ride on it for a little more but I had to call the ride short because I needed to rush it to the dealership before they closed for Sunday and Monday.

What we think what happened is a colt fell out of the brake assembly and when I applied the brakes, it grabbed onto the rotor and began to move with it causing the caliper to drive up through the aluminum plate covering the rotor which ripped it apart, and the stress also made some tears in the break line.

Now, I decided to take this to the closest Yamaha dealership because my cousins shop where I bought it was over an hour away and since its a warranty issue, I could go anywhere. After a few days, they call me up and said Yamaha declined to cover it and it looks like an issue with the dealer not properly inspecting the bike before I got it so I should take it back to the place I bought it. I had to also pay them $65 for looking at it.

I took it back to my cousins shop and they are going to get it fixed. I think Xtreme machines on Rt 33 in NJ screwed me over big time for not taking care of this.

Anyway, Im hoping the wolverine will be back soon. They have to order parts for it so I hope Ill have her by this weekend.

Yhea they should not have charged you they should have just fixed it and got paid by Yamaha for the warrenty work on the quad. They must be complete idiots to not want to take the easy money from yamaha and just charge you with 65 inspection fee. I think I woulda said you just fix it and charge yamaha and not even have picked it up until it was done.

Yeah, this is brand new. Only 4 weeks old tomorrow. My cousins shop said they were surprised they didnt want the money from Yamaha too, and they are more than happy to take it. I was pissed and I wanted it out of there so I hope the parts will be in soon so I can have it back before the long weekend coming up.

Very strange for a dealership treating a new owner like that, not sure why they would have charged you. I worked for a company called Racers Edge that was a dealer for Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Seedoo and Skidoo and we would have happily ordered what need to be ordered and done the repair. Don't know what else to say.

ctateusa1 said:
Yhea they should not have charged you they should have just fixed it and got paid by Yamaha for the warrenty work on the quad. They must be complete idiots to not want to take the easy money from yamaha and just charge you with 65 inspection fee. I think I woulda said you just fix it and charge yamaha and not even have picked it up until it was done.

And to top it off, they said I should see about getting my dealer to reimburse me for the $65 they cahrged me. I know what you mean about forcing them to fix it, but Im not a patient person. Im in no shape to be wasting $65 either, but I just got the thing and I want it back so I paid, took it and brought it back to my cosuins dealership where I bought it. I learned the hard way to just bring it there regardless. I just hate the hour trip each way to get there.

The Parts are on order though, so I hope she will be ready for pickup by this weekend since I have a 3 day weekend, but I wont hold my breath.

That's really strange the first dealer wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe Yamaha will kick you back the $65 you had to shell out. I take it that's the one hour of labor they charged to look at it?

Here is what I would do, contact yamaha corporate.Tell them you took your wolvy in for a warrenty concern the first dealer looked at it and charged you 65.00 and told you to take it back to the selling dealer.

Probably within 4-6 weeks you will recieve a check from yamaha and within 24hrs of your call the first dealer will recieve an @$$ chewing from the man upstairs on why a valued customer was charged to look at a bike under warrenty and then told to take it somewhere else.

I have seen this done before on a honda car and a dealer dreads the call from upstairs.

Latest posts

Back