2003 wolverine 350 problem?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03wolverine

Reaction score
hey guys....got a question....cannot figure it out....its killing me....im having a problem with the engine cutting out after about half throttle....starts up perfect idles great....revs up good....once you take off and give more than half throttle...it almost like it hits the rev limiter is what it sounds like and its not the e brake....ive cleaned the carb....checked everything.....the crazy thing is it just started doing it out of the blue...never had a problem ever with this wheeler....ive checked spark plug...the coil...gets great spark....fuel is good....could the stator cause this problem....battery is brand new.....how about the cdi? valves? i just dont know what to do next...dont want to keep changing parts that are not bad....anyone have an issue like this before?

thanks any help would be great

Check the slide diaphragm in your carb for any tears or holes, if u can't see any noticiable ones hold it up to a light n you'd be able to see any holes if there are any!

ok so i checked that diaphram and did find a very small tear about 1/16 of an inch....so i patched it just to see if that was it....seemed to make no difference....did the same thing.....but there may be more holes....or may not be sealing right......so i think i will order a new one and hope this works.....im about to just take it up to the dealer....but im sure it will cost a fortune.....we will see what happens.....Wolvyrida have you had this kind of problem in the past?

check the parking brake switch , if the parking brake switch is on the rev limiter will engage .

Yeah I'm actually dealin with this problem right now lol my diaphragm had a 1/2 in tear and a hole in it, I took a plastic baggy that the bolts to my trucks ball joints came in (plastic was thicker than most) and cut a small strip and a tiny piece for the little hole and krazy glued them on the top side over the tear n hole and it fixed the problem, not sure how long it will last but so far its running great and hopefully it holds out till I can afford a new diaphragm!!

check the parking brake switch , if the parking brake switch is on the rev limiter will engage .

Not likely, the parking brake safety would kill it right off the bat and you would not get anything above an idle. I would lean towards WolvyRida's point on the diaphragm issue. Also, is there any possible restriction to airflow? I tried putting a piece of cloth over the airbox opening just to act as a pre-filter and the machine would fall on its face when I tried taking off. This was a piece of plain cloth stretched out, I never would have thought it would offer that much restriction.

i think there maybe tiny pin holes in mine....or starting to dry rot....so im just waiting on the new one to get here.....funny how its the most expensive part of the carb you can replace.....i got it cheaper on ebay though....brand new.....as for the parking brake....i think its good i cleaned up the connections....it seems to be ok....unless something internaly is bad on it

One other question though....i have a jet kit on the carb now...and had to drill the hole bigger on the metal slide on the diaphram......you think i should drill out the new one or just put stock jet and needle back in and see what happens??

thanks again for all the info guys...

well got the new diaphram today....put it in and back to stock jet and needle....runs great now....fixed it!!! i just did not remember which slot the c-clip went on the factory needle....i just put it in the middle....it seems to be ok.....once again thanks for the tip wolvyrida....saved me a buch of money!! i love the internet!

No problem man, really glad I was able to help!! Did u get the one on ebay for $84 plus $2 shipping? I've been watchin it n nows there one less lol hopefully the other 2 don't get sold before I get the money to get mine lol I'm jus glad my rig job is holding up till I'm able to afford one, mine has a 1/2 tear and a hole in it, its pretty bad but at least its runnin at the moment an actually better than before the problem arose so I'm sure its really gonna run good when I get a new diaphragm cus I'm sure the tight spot from my rig job is hindering it some. I jus started runnin that startron fuel additive too, it will help to avoid these kind of problems from the ethanol in the gas nowadays, I definately reccomend it!!

I've been dealing with this same problem on my 2003 wolverine. Is ebay the best place to find a diaphragm or is there a better spot to look?

I pulled the diaphragm again and inspected it with a light and I can't see any pinholes or anything. Is it possible that it is just defective? Do you know of any other things that could be causing this problem before I buy a new diaphragm? Because this fits my problem to a "T".

Latest posts

Back