2002 wolverine prob

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithbinwv

Reaction score
have a 2002 wolverine that backfires thru exhaust and carb no matter what i do to it pulling choke in and out realy has no effect on it though sometimes it wont start and run unless u have the choke on
here is what i done to it to date

took fuel tank off and completley cleaned,flushed,blownout and took off fuel shut off cleaned and blown out
installed new coil, spark plug cap, and plug
took carb apart and cleaned letting soak for four days (cleaned a total of four times)
replaced the diaphrams the large one on top had a split in it and the cap on top of the needle set was missing could not find any where
tried adjusting the fuel/air mixture screw can turn all the way to both sides made no difference in how it ran
cleaned grounds to coil and checked all wires for nicks or cracks
unhooked connections to brake sensor
checked and cleaned all conector plugs
changed fuel line and filter
and put dynojet kit in

any body have any ideas

4-27-10
getting ready to test stator and pickup coils

Last edited by a moderator:
dude im having the same problem if either u r me figure it out contact me and ill do the same thanx man

Jeez, exhaust leak would cause backfires in the exhaust, but not the intake. Chaeck your chain tensioner. Sounds like it could be a timing problem, maybe a jumped link. Check engine compression first, if it's no good, uh oh. If compression is good, Check your timing. Pull of the cam cover and the little plstic plug on top of the pull start side trans cover. look in the hole and you should see a 'T'. Mine actually only had an 'F', so an F is ok, there should be a groove or a notch inside the hole in the threads, align the letter as close to this line as possible. look at your cam sproket, there is a line on it that should align directy up, there should be a line or mark at the top of the opening. chain should not be loose. While your at it check your valve gap. Pull off the two valve covers, find your TDC by aligning the cam sproket with the mark. Use a feeler gauge, the gap should be between .002 and .004 for intake, and .006 and .008 exhaust, check the valves cold. Lots of checking, but could save you a trip to the shop, unless your compression is no good. Hope this helps.

When its running and you try and gas it, does the slide in the carb move up and down freely or does it sputter. If it sputters then check your diaphram again. I had to seal the base of mine cause it wasnt sealed properly, use a gas resistant glue.

well its bone stock idk what to do anymore i been having problems with this thing from the day i got it bout time for and arctic cat are a honda lol anyone want to buy a 99 wolvy

I went through the same thing with the same year bike about 6 months ago and Im telling you its your Diaphram, Take the carb apart and hold the slide with the diaphram attached to it and see if you can spin/turn the rubber bowl which is sandwiched between the 2 white disks. I bet that it will, if it does then thats your problem, thats where its sucking air from. You can buy a new 1 for 100 bucks or use a gas resistant silicon or glue to seal around the base of it for now.

Latest posts

Back