2001 warrior no start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordman

Reaction score
Ive had the bike for a while and its always run great. recently though it has been starting hard and now it wont start at all. ive replaced the cdi box at the rear and still nothing. it has gas and spark too. when i tested for power at the stator at the front there was no power at the orange wire that is next to the ground under the lights. im not sure what to do next plz help, thanks!

Well if it has spark at the spark plug wire then you know the stator is good. Are you sure the engine is getting fuel, and not just the float bowl? Inspect the condition of your spark plug, it could be something as simple as that. Double check your air filter as well, could need cleaning or replacement. These things are simple and I'd rather cover the simple things first. If all is good there I would atleast try starting fluid, just for kicks. If it starts you know it's fuel related. If not you have other issues. All engines need 3 things to start and run. Fuel, ignition, and compression. If you indeed have fuel, and you have spark, and it still doesn't start, I would do a compression test and see what that has to say.

ok so i retested everything and i have no spark so that would mean i have a bad coil BUT when i test for power going to the coil from the cdi box there is none. the bike still cranks just wont start. i unplugged the cdi box and tested where each of the prongs go and only got power on one of the prong slots if that means anything. the only thing i can think of is that there is an issue in the harness somewhere but i thought it wouldnt crank if that was the case.

I would probe the stator with an ohm meter and make sure it has the proper resistance. The power that you are getting at the cdi plug may just be from the battery, but, without a wiring diagram to look at I can't be certain. Don't assume you need a coil until you eleminate the other ignition componants first.

where abouts would you hook up an ohm meter at on the stator? by the blug or the stator itself?

Should just be able to test it at it's plug. Some bikes you have to test at the stator itself.

What is it doing exactly? Turning over well but not starting right away? Difficult to turn over?

it turns over like it always did before just doesnt have spark at the spark plug. i traced the spark plug to the cylinder thing at the front of the bike then from there traced it all the way to the cdi box and it doesnt have any breaks or rubs in it. the cdi box is new too.

If your stator is indeed working properly, and the cdi is new, and the plug is good, you haven't found and damaged for broken wires, the last thing in the system is the coil. They aren't known to go bad on these bikes, as far as I now. I would check for power going into the coil. If you have power going in and not coming out, then you need a coil.

Back