2000 warrior BURNING oil

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldskoolracer

Reaction score
OK,

on the last trip to the dunes we ride pretty hard at night.
but we were riding for almost two hours solid, when we stop you could
smell burning oil, smoking some but not leaking any out.
i just changed the oil prior to trip, new filter and always run YAMALUBE.

anyway, i checked it in the morning and i burned up a quart of oil.

any thoughts?

To burn that much oil, and burn it while continually running, it is rings. If it only smoked some on a cold start, it would most likely be valve seals.

thats what i was thinking, but wanted to be sure.

guess it will be a winter tear down, maybe send the head in to refresh the valve seats etc.

probably stay with sock piston or would it be worth it to upgade
the piston?

warrior has intake and exhaust already, dont know how much more power id really get from ging o a higher compression piston.

she does awsome in the trailsbut in theopen sand the guys run aways from me way to easily.

A higher compression piston can increase bottom end but if you go with a High comp piston I would get the 366 high comp pistion from JE

Yea more compression is going to make the bottom end hit harder. If you want to keep it on pump gas keep it between 10.5 and 11:1. Another plus is pistons from wiseco and je are forged aluminum, unlike the stocker which is cast.

I just put a 10.25:1 Arias in my Warrior and it helped tremendously. The only problem I have now is I have to add octane boost or mix race fuel. Last ride it was pinging some. Most engines will like more compression as long as you run the right octane fuel to compensate.

Wierd... 10.25 doesn't usually do that. All engines are diff though ofcourse. I have about 11:1 total with the est gaskets and .015 decked head, and a vito's key. Run it on 93 oct and it's been fine.

It was a pretty warm day and I was lugging it pretty hard in the trails. We are headed to the dunes June 22 and I am going to get some Phillips 110 and mix it 50/50 with some 91 octane. I always try to run better fuel at the dunes since they get lugged a lot getting moving.

Last edited:
True, sand is hard on an engine. I run the piss outta mine on the trails. Gets freakin hot!

being that i have the stock motor right now but im either adding a better piston high compression or putting new rings on a stock piston.

i dont want to go crazy on the motor so it's more fun but still reliable. wiesco, JE etc? 10:25 10:50 11:00 etc?

i dont have a bigger carb so i'm limited on that also.

I would ditch the stock piston. I personally don't care to reuse pistons, especially the stock cast units. Just get yourself the 10.25:1 wiseco. It's forged, and will give a nice little bump in compression and give a stronger feel in the bottom end. You can buy wisecos on ebay for $100-$110. There are some that come as kits with top end gaskets for $135. Can't go wrong.

Back