2 shock questions...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dte825

Reaction score
Gettin ready to buy some new works and I'm wondering how I should tell them to set them up. I mainly trail ride but I do hit the occasional 4 or 5 foot jump. Will they set them up for somewhere between trail and mx? A little stiffer than mx but a little softer then trail. Will they even do that? Or should I just set them up for trail because I dont hit big jumps. Second question. Should I spend the money on a works rear shock or should I try to find an '01 rappy rear shock? Is a works rear a lot better than the rappy shock. I dont mind spending the $400-500 on the works but if the rappy is close, I'd rather save $300-400. Sorry for such a long question. :-/

I already bought a banshee rear shock but then I read from a bunch of different people on here that they weren't much of an improvement over the warrior's. not true?

If you have one then put it on and be the judge.. i felt it was a major improvment over stock.

And if it were me id have the works set-up for supercross or moto.

the raptor 660 rear shock is a better shock than the banshee rear, the big reason people get the banshee shock is they are a great deal better than the stock warrior shock, and the rappy shock has a resovoir that cant be mounted where the stock resivoir used to be, you have to get creative and mount it on your frame, to your airbox, etc. the banshee shock im pretty sure bolts right on without any extra work.

an 01 rappy shock resovior will mount where the warrior does..but for the banshee it is like a piggyback ..You will have to cut your airbox or heat the airbox up and and have somebody sit on the grab bar, this forms the plastic for the resovoir to fit.but the banshee is a better shock!! its more adjustable!!

As far as adjusting the banshee shock, I know the collars around the top adjust the spring preload but on the side or the piggyback there is a dial that says hard and soft. Is that a rebound adjustment? And at the bottom of the shock just above the eye there is another wheel that spins and clicks. Is that another adjustment and if so, what does it do?

me and my dad went through this when we were building are bansee to be mx ready. he was going to spend all kinds of money on a rear shock but someone told him the showa ( makes yamaha shocks) is not a bad shock at all. yeah elkas, works, pep, axis there all wicked good shocks but the stock yamaha rear shock is not that far behind. i'd just get an 01 rapy shock. i've heard nothing but good things about it.

if you do go with the raptor shock, the resivoir does not mount where the stock shock resivoir mounts. the line to the resivoir is shorter on the rappy, requiring a little ingenuity to get it mounted on the bike.

On the banshee shock the threaded collars are the preload adjustment the dial on the side of the resavoir is the compression adjustment and the dial on the bottom of the shock is the rebound adjustment. I love the banshee rear shock on my warrior. It works great and has good adjustablility and it only costs like 70 bucks off ebay.

Coming from an ex warrior rider. banshee shocks are shittier in my opinion. i rode severaly banshees,05+, and I thought how could anyone ever ride this piece of ****. Full after market suspension is SO worth it. I feel a huge difference between my yellow z witn only front elkas, then my grey z with all around elkas. If anything I would just get a rappy shock and get a gt thunder revalve.

While I think the Banshee rear shock is a huge improvement over stock, in no way is it comparable or even pretty damn close to an aftermarket rear shock. But for the money it's a nice improvement.

Back