2 or 4

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillclimbingrecon

Reaction score
Okay, i need help, a dirt bike or sport quad? im not getting anything RIGHT now im just saying when the time comes..2 or 4?

Also, right now, would i be too small for a 2003 rm 85? im 5-7, 5-8ish, and 120lbs.... or should i get a 125? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say stick with a quad. Iv'e only ridden a dirtbike once but i like quads 10 times more. You can do more trail riding with a quad on difficult trails.

idk, reason's i want a dirtbike
1- they can jump WAY better than a quad
2- they dont bottom out like a quad, and dirtbikes are pretty much race ready stock and a quad cost's 10's of thousands of dollars to become remotley race ready
3- dirt bikes can go up steeper hills( can they?)

but
quads
1- ride in snow/mud
2- better in trails

so....HELP!!

Just test both and see what you like more it all depends on your taste. 2 or 4 wheels.
I have a used kawasaki 250 and bought a new 2006 raptor 350 to enjoy both, I see alot of dirt bikes on ebay that aren't that expensive so you can always buy a used dirt bike. But this is just my opinion but like I said it's what you like more.
For your other question, don't go with a bike that is to small I think the 125 is better and you will enjoy it longer even now I still enjoy the 125 bikes there great.

All I rode were dirt bikes through the 80s and early 90s, then I got on a quad and never looked back. I just think quads are more fun, a dirt bike requires a lot more skill.

I race b-class on my quad, And I cant ride a dirtbike for ****, and im positive that Im a better rider then you nathan, unless youre just a natural with two wheels, and I also use to ride bmx so Its not like im new on two wheels.

Ya I ride bmx a lot and do some crazy stuff from time to time but when I hop on a dirtbike I cant ride it for ****.

dirtbikes simply jump "better" because you can take it off of a sideways ramp and track straight..... obviously the only way you correct this with a quad is via body english and lean. however, dirtbikes arent the easiest to jump. it takes way more skill than a quad to maneuver a bike over and through tough woods, or simply around a rutted motocross track. where have you jumped on a moto track that the lips are cockeyed any??

second is that you go down easy if you can't correct yourself quickly on a bike. with a quad, 4 wheels keep you planted. for all those that say quads are easy to take on a track is horseshit. that 350 pound bike is a load after 20 laps and really tests your shape just as a dirtbike does so your equal there. you have to constantly work with a dirtbike though- something i found to be not that fun but others love.

third- where on earth did you get the idea that modern race bikes take tens of thousands of dollars to build up for racing. you weigh 120.... stock shocks are set up for 150-160 pounders and modern bikes have a lot of adjustability. until you begin racing b class i cant see how the stock shocks and suspension on a 450 or z400 isnt sufficent enough for you when they worked to take my 240 pound ass over some big stuff and wanted more.

once you get off that recon you'll be hooked. i always found it hard to restart everything youve learned about something. restarting a riding career when your allready decent at what you do on a recon is totally not worth it in my eyes.

i would kill to be able to keep my quad. hopefully i pull some good grades out of my ass and sell the breeze because i sure do miss riding that thing and quads in general.

anyway.. good luck with whatever you choose. a 125 would suit you better because you will move up quick with an 85 or 100 cc two stroke. if i was you, i would keep the quad dream alive. why not when you allready know your okay at it.

-ant

If you can ride a dirtbike it can go through rougher trails, muddier trails and way steeper hills.

It just takes skill.

What you want is up to you... id stick to quads though.. a 125 would throw you all over the place.

bikes and quads alike are much fun, i'm good on both, i had a bike before my quad and ride my friends all the time.... a bike sucks if you don't know how to ride it cuz it will kick your ass... especially a 2 stroker... but if you knwo how to ride em they rock.... quads are quads, they can't make it through really tight stuff and cost more to repair/ buy stuff for, if you were to get a bike i'd say get a 250 4stroker cuz you can grow into that but if you can only either get the 85 or 125 rm i'd go 125, it'l kick your ass for a while i bet cuz 2 strokers take lotsa skill... its all up to you man i'd test each one first

hmmmm.....what -ant said really hit core, i think i just need to save up for a REAL quad, and i'll be hooked, but dirtbikes just are like mocking me! lol idk, lol

If you can find a 125 2 stroker for a cheap price get it and give it a try, you can't lose, just don't ride with the balls you ride your recon with, otherwise you'll be in a body cast.

Dirt bikes are a lot of fun, but they will kick your ass through the whoops if you don't do it right, that and learning how to deal with a twist throttle ;D lol. With a bike you get access to more trails, cause lets face it quads are pretty wide, but that's only if you are into doing tight trails. I'd say go for a quad, but a bike is fun too.

HCR, I had a YZ 125 and a KX 125, and I gotta say that bikes sure are bitchin'....... if I was buying a new toy it would be a bike not a quad simply because around here there are alot of singletrack trails in the crown lands that are legal for dirtbikes to ride but quads are not allowed. You would be able to go more places on the bike but you could also get into more trouble. In the end its your choice what you wanna ride, make the choice and be sensible about it. Don't try to ride like RC on your first day at the track.

AS most have already said there's UP&DOWN'S to both if you are one of those people that's worried about out running everyone get a dirt bike because as most of us know a 125 2 stroke will out run 85% of the atv's and a 250 with a good rider will kill most all atv's so for speed it a clear choice but i for one like going fast sometime and then i like to mess around and just lug my atv were as that dont work to well for a 2 stroke bike. But with all this being said just try and get some seat time on a nice bike and sport atv before you decide..

well, i LOVE powersliding my quad, and i LOVE, LOVE snowridng, and mud it's okay till i get stuck, but it's either raining, or dry here..and i ride trails.... and jumps,lol and hills, but the nearest track(10mins away) is only for dirtbikes and the nearest quad track is over a hours drive..... so dirt bikes or quads? most people round here have quads...but idk what to do lol

I had both of them but i was **** all at dirtbike (and like you i think drove quad first)
If you do get a dirtbike rm 125 is the way to go , fast as hell my friend got one

I don't think we should have to suggest anything to you cause you should know what you want. But I can tell you that an 85 will be way too small you will want a bigger one really quick. But dirtbikes will kick your ass depending on where and how you ride. I picked buying a quad over a dirtbike cause I wanted to try something different and I love quads more than bikes. I mountain bike a lot and jump stuff and love biking. dirtbiking is cool but I just think fourwheeling is better cause well one reason you said you ride in mud and if you decided to go crazy you could easily fall over or loose traction and slide off on the dirtbike. on a fourwheeler you could slide then catch traction and flip but on a dirtbike you would be more likely to slide and fall. hmm, and I'm thinking a 125 would be too powerful but i dno I haven't rode one but friend has one and says it's a ****** beast. But you come from a fourwheeling background with your recon so you could probly jump right on a new quad and feel more comfortable than a dirtbike i'm thinking.

Back