1997 wolverine 350 new top end still smoking

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matbandit

Reaction score
Hello . I'm glad to have found this forum. I own a 1997 yamaha wolverine, I just rebuilt the top end, new wiseco piston first oversize, have the cylinder bored by a reputable shop, have the head checked and valves seal replaced. I installed the piston carefully, stagerred the rings per manual. I have about 4 hours of running time, and it still smoke, it has burned about 1/2 quart of oil. I used dino oil 10w40. What can be wrong?

One of your rings could be upside down. they have a slight / angle to them,wrong way it will smoke.

Veggieman said:
One of your rings could be upside down. they have a slight / angle to them,wrong way it will smoke.

That was my problem, I installed the second ring upside down. I missed the mark on top of the ring. I will slighty hone the cylinder an order new ring, I hope it will fix it.

Wow...good call Veggieman!

Matbandit - please let us know how this all ends up for you.

I have installed new rings, started the engine, no smoke ! I will break in the new rings this week end, but it seems to be ok.

That's awesome....let us know if anything changes but it sounds like Veggieman was right on!

The engine is ok now, no smoke. Now I have a carburetor problem, it act like if it run rich at idle, and it's slow to return to idle. I have cleaned the carb carefully, pilot jet is 42.5, 2 turns out on pilot screw. What can cause it to run rich except pilot jet and screw? Float height is set at 13mm. It do not idle better with air filter removed. What is the purpose of the spring loaded diaphragm on the side of the carburetor?

Bad news!! My engine has started to smoke like a train on cold startup. I have about 5 hours on new rings, I had never saw smoke, until yesterday morning. The bike sat for 3 days. I have started it yesterday, and got a lot of smoke for a minute, then it quit and no smoke?? I have started it again several time during the rest of the day, no more smoke. I let it sat all the night, and this morning, bam! Lot of smoke. It do not seems to be the valves, it start with no smoke for 3-4 seconds, then the smoke begin. It's worst if I give throttle. Compression is still good at 145 psi. WTF?&?

this might work but im not sure, try turning the fuel off after you turn your wolvy off. i know someone who had gas leak down in the pistons over the winter and the gas ate the rings but that is a different problem

Back