1989 Warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 89 Warrior. I just got the stater fixed last week. I hadn't got a chance to ride it yet, so, the other day, I got it started, and it was running pretty good. My wife started down thru the yard on it, and when she went to 2nd gear, she let it die. My battery was really low, so I hotshotted it off, and it ran like ****. Sounded like it was going all to hell. It had been running fine a few minutes earlier. Then, later I was trying to start it back up, and it started twice, and died. I tried to start it again, and it the starter started free spinning, like ther was nothing holding it back. What could be my problem? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at my wits end

First things first, get that battery fully charged. That could be a bunch of the issue and it will help figure out what the true issue is.

I'm having a hard time following you. Dead battery? Starter clutch went out? Intake rip? (died in 2nd and ran like crap after)

My battery was already dead, from where it had set before I got the stator fixed. And I think the selinoid hung in my starter. The intake is just fine, I had already checked that

My wife had never really rode a 4 wheeler before, just dirt bikes years ago. That's why she let it die in 2nd. She wasnt used to it, and popped the clutch, I think is what happened

if the starter is spining freely and not cranking the motor over, is either your starter clutch or the starter one way assy. my dad has a dirt bike that did the same thing and we ripped it apart thinking the starter clutch gear was shot. when we got down to it the gears were all good. it turned out to be the starter one way assy. the starter one way assy engauges small bearings to the shaft when you hit the button. most times the spring like wire that hold the bearings in streches out and does not allow the bearing to engauge to the shaft. i dont know if this is your problem but best bet would be to rip it down and check the gears first. if gears are all intacked it could be the starter one way assy. and that part is pretty pricey.

Damn, that could suck. And I've not gotten to even ride it yet. I think, the way things are going, that I'm just gonna sell that sob, and never buy another Yamaha again. Just get a good Honda, and piss on Yamaha

partimage.gifx
#10 is the starter one way assy. i said it engauges to the shaft and i was wrong it engauges to the #7 IDLER gear which turns the shaft. i know someone would have corrected me so i corrected myself.lol good luck​

Damn, that could suck. And I've not gotten to even ride it yet. I think, the way things are going, that I'm just gonna sell that sob, and never buy another Yamaha again. Just get a good Honda, and piss on Yamaha
NO dont do that yamahas are awesome. dont give up on the warrior. because once you get it fixed the warrior wont give up on you. trust me i have a few buddies with hondas and they end up watchin me ride and i refuse to work on their bikes. if it has a motor, it could at any time break down. i know for a fact warriors are way more reliable.

Last edited:
I've got an 89 Blaster too. I've had to do all kinds of stuff to it to. The guy I got the Blaster off of, had put a brand new piston and rings in it. A 66 standard. Well, the dunce forgot to check how big the cylinder really was. It was miked at 66.50. I was like, damn, he spent all that money for nothing, when he should of checked it out first

I've got an 89 Blaster too. I've had to do all kinds of stuff to it to. The guy I got the Blaster off of, had put a brand new piston and rings in it. A 66 standard. Well, the dunce forgot to check how big the cylinder really was. It was miked at 66.50. I was like, damn, he spent all that money for nothing, when he should of checked it out first
love how everyones a mechanic til they go to work on something and mess things up more. did you ever fix the blaster. thats all i ever owned til i landed the warrior. blasters are fun and peppy but i love the revers and reliability of the warriors once running right.

Man we will get you threw this, its just matter of eliminating things threw testing. Once you get everything figured out you will love the warrior.

Thanks to you guys. I'm just trying to learn all I can. I have been studying, and reading, and watching all the videos and such that I can. I dont want to work on them for money, just able to fix my own, you know? I have mechaniced on my own vehicles for quite a few years, I've just always been fascinated with 4 wheelers and bikes. Don't know much about them, but I'm willing to learn

Its like with every used bike you have to spend the first couple months working the bugs out after you get those bugs out it won't give you a minits trouble untill you break it from riding tohard

well your on the right site. there are alot of good members on this site that have more than enough knowledge on warriors. just about any member will help you out on here. i love this site and with enough time you will too. if these guys cant help fix it no one can. ive learned alot on here and ive only been a member for a few months. some of these guys have been on here for years. really great people make this site what it is.:tup:

I don't have a regular battery charger. I was hoping, when it was running good, that I could get it charged up while I was riding it, but, that never got to happen

Latest posts

Back