1988 warrior HELP MECHANICAL

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich9046

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum as of a few minutes ago I used forums for my mustang and bikes and had a lot of help from people with a lot of knowledge about the machine that being said I been through the topics and some I can relate and some I cannot so I'm going to post in hopes that I find my warrior guru lol here's the issue I just picked this quad up because it was cheap 200.00 and I been wanting to ride with my buddy so as I go look at this quad I notice a few things such as stArter is missing I don't see a solenoid or a battery but the kid says it runs he supposably pop started it I seen it had a pull start but it wouldent retract the rope so I said ugh **** it I'll buy it anywYs it's worth it well lol I finally got some time to start trying to run it I was just going to cover the starter hole and pop start it to play a little but I didn't instead I pulled off the pull start and fixed the rope I put it back on and it was extremely hard to pull it didn't seem like there was enough rope and then the whole cover ripped right off because of wrong bolts ... Out of frustration I figured he said he popped started it but oil spits out of starter hole so I just topped off oil and had my buddy pull me a few times up and down the road it would start but shut right off every time I released clutch and it was popping and just sounded awful like there was a war so I said **** it again and parked it I lost all ambition that day so after a few days of thinking I came up with maybe it just needs a battery so I'm getting a new battery and starter and solnoid and ignition switch because there's no key and maybe then it will start but it's also missing the air box and filter.... There's no doubt this might of been a parts quad and it's bugging me I might of got ripped but I will ride this quad.... So as I am waiting on parts I have carb off strangest carb I seen in awhile but I'm just doing the basics and cleaning the Jets and the choke slide but Ic post on here about a parking brake ? I don't see this on mine but I think ic what's left of it can that be a prob? Also does anyone have a 88 that they can take pics of where the solnoid is and the wires that go to it because I don't c no terminals for a battery let alone the solnoid only plugs I can c is to the cdi and s few plugs there ummm and please any advice or mods or tricks that can help get this quad running good again I'm just waiting to get a smaller screwdriver for jets so please any advice or pics of a complete 88 wiring would be great and if someone could explain y It would just pop and shut off like that other then the carb because I have a gut feeling ill get this carb done and still won't run

The battery hooks to the solenoid and then the solenoid has a cable going to the starter. The solenoid should also have a wire coming from the start button. Does your carb have 2 cables? Some of the first gens had dual cable carbs. You could buy a zoom zoom carb off ebay and the newer style cable and should be able to bolt on and go. Sould also be able to get an airbox on ebay too. Hope this helps a bit.

If you don't have one already, get one of the clymer manuals, I think you can find free ones online. Those will have all the blown up diagrams of carb, wiring, etc.

Hi I'm new to this forum as of a few minutes ago I used forums for my mustang and bikes and had a lot of help from people with a lot of knowledge about the machine that being said I been through the topics and some I can relate and some I cannot so I'm going to post in hopes that I find my warrior guru lol here's the issue I just picked this quad up because it was cheap 200.00 and I been wanting to ride with my buddy so as I go look at this quad I notice a few things such as stArter is missing I don't see a solenoid or a battery but the kid says it runs he supposably pop started it I seen it had a pull start but it wouldent retract the rope so I said ugh **** it I'll buy it anywYs it's worth it well lol I finally got some time to start trying to run it I was just going to cover the starter hole and pop start it to play a little but I didn't instead I pulled off the pull start and fixed the rope I put it back on and it was extremely hard to pull it didn't seem like there was enough rope and then the whole cover ripped right off because of wrong bolts ... Out of frustration I figured he said he popped started it but oil spits out of starter hole so I just topped off oil and had my buddy pull me a few times up and down the road it would start but shut right off every time I released clutch and it was popping and just sounded awful like there was a war so I said **** it again and parked it I lost all ambition that day so after a few days of thinking I came up with maybe it just needs a battery so I'm getting a new battery and starter and solnoid and ignition switch because there's no key and maybe then it will start but it's also missing the air box and filter.... There's no doubt this might of been a parts quad and it's bugging me I might of got ripped but I will ride this quad.... So as I am waiting on parts I have carb off strangest carb I seen in awhile but I'm just doing the basics and cleaning the Jets and the choke slide but Ic post on here about a parking brake ? I don't see this on mine but I think ic what's left of it can that be a prob? Also does anyone have a 88 that they can take pics of where the solnoid is and the wires that go to it because I don't c no terminals for a battery let alone the solnoid only plugs I can c is to the cdi and s few plugs there ummm and please any advice or mods or tricks that can help get this quad running good again I'm just waiting to get a smaller screwdriver for jets so please any advice or pics of a complete 88 wiring would be great and if someone could explain y It would just pop and shut off like that other then the carb because I have a gut feeling ill get this carb done and still won't run

You didn't get ripped of at all! You probably have atleast it's $400 in parts, maybe even $500. Like others said get a shop manual and a new carb wouldn't be a bad idea, check for spark, and make sure you are using the compression release (the lever at the top of the motor)

Compression release? Don't want to sound retarded but wth lol and thanks guys but no there's only one cable that runs to the carb it's a mikuni I think that's how it spelt and I download a manual just figured seeing the actual wiring would be easier then reading the diagram

Ok nm just got told what the compression release is but would that stop it from running or that's probably y it was so hard to pull start and pop start

Ok so here's what I got take a look any obvious issues lol umm I don't see a compression release valve on motor but the bolt I'm pointing at on the side what goes there? And the wires off the clutch lever ?

The bolt you are pointing at on the side is the reverse shifter. Should have a rod up to a lever on the right side below fuel tank.

Ok so here's what I got take a look any obvious issues lol umm I don't see a compression release valve on motor but the bolt I'm pointing at on the side what goes there? And the wires off the clutch lever ?

You need a compression release to make it easy to pull start it. The compression release would be found on the exhaust valve cover. if it doesn't have one you could buy one on ebay. The clutch wire are probably for the clutch safty sensor or parking brake.

Ok thanks guys so don't need reverse for now but I should fix them wires prob could affect it I wonder if that's y it shut off when I pop start it and released clutch?

Let me get the starter on it and solenoid I plan on just deleting the pull start and putting a nicer cover on there but if for some reason I do decide I need it I'll get back to u if u still have it

With no air box it could be so lean that it won't stay running and I would squirt some fuel in the motor and see if she fires up for a minute.

Alright well I still have the carb off waiting to get time to get a small flat head for jets so i can be sure it's clean I also started to tear it down and go over everything and paint the frame but I noticed the wiring I don't even c cables for a battery but nothing looks cut idk driving me nuts then I was going to paint my hubs and the right side wheel fell right off ugh it's hard keeping ambition lol now it needs a hub and the spindle someone put the wrong nut on the spindle and stripped the threads but I won't give up just taking a lot of money

Back