1987 yamaha warrior motor help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The1Hero

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a 1987 yamaha warrior, I have had my share of figuring this thing out. I finaly got it wired all up and got it running. Well i had no starter so i bought a new one along with a new battery. Installed all that, But the warrior will not start with the starter. It starts fine with the pull start, Some times with the pull start the start catches so im pulling over the starter and the motor. i have a video at youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNQyN0vLaU ) where u can hear it clunk. i dont know maybe the battery is not fully charged or if its something else. If you all would be kind enough to listen to the motor in the youtube video and give me some ideas on what it could be.
Thank you all

okay i will try that now and report back if it fires up or not. Thank you.

i let the atv run for like 30 minutes, battery had 11.8 volts pull started it, jumped to 12.8 so its charging, let it run and the battery went to 13.6 i shut it down and it started right up with the starter, did not hear any clunking really, i will check it tomorrow on a cold start with the starter and see if it will start it or clunk more. if it keeps clunking u think i need to replace the starter clutch?

i let the atv run for like 30 minutes, battery had 11.8 volts pull started it, jumped to 12.8 so its charging, let it run and the battery went to 13.6 i shut it down and it started right up with the starter, did not hear any clunking really, i will check it tomorrow on a cold start with the starter and see if it will start it or clunk more. if it keeps clunking u think i need to replace the starter clutch?
yerp.

okay, thank you guys so much. I will let you all know how i make out tomorrow. While i have the fly wheel side off, Is there anything else i should change? Ill get a new starter clutch anyways to be on the safe side just in case it is going or if it is bad. If there is anything else that i could replace while i have it open and fixing it please let me know.

well you have to pull the flywheel with the special tool, and while you are in there i would change the timing chain. thats bout it!

yeah ill have to buy the puller when i buy the starter clutch, i have pullers but prob wont fit the warriors lol... Yeah thats a good idea with the timing chain. Thanks Alex. Btw i like ur warrior... Im building another 87 just waiting on ordering a motor for it. then i can put it all together.

sweet dude! and thanks its a work in progress. next thing on the list is custom arms, or a set of pats arms. we will see! but yeah first gen warriors are awesome! only problem we have is there is no aftermarket a-arm avalible to us lol.

yeah i know, but thats fine, im putting new bearings and ball joints in mine soon. Gotta fit my fenders b/c they are broke but nothing plastic welding rods cant fix lol.

Dude you can get plastic fenders on ebay or i think one of the guys on here had a full set of red ones in pritty good shape,, id do that before plastic weld, it maybe good for motorcycles but atvs bounce bang and tke a beating, i would think it would brake again..

Dude you can get plastic fenders on ebay or i think one of the guys on here had a full set of red ones in pritty good shape,, id do that before plastic weld, it maybe good for motorcycles but atvs bounce bang and tke a beating, i would think it would brake again..
naww, ive done it to my blasty fenders b4 the bedliner got on there and its still holdin fine!

ive done it on a 98 warrior, still holding.. and trust me my buddy dont give it any mercy lol.

i was gonna replace mine too, but i said hell with it i still got like 50 plastic rods left so im gonna use them and fix mine.

Hell yeah, ive never had any or did any plastic welding so i just got some used ones, hope i never need it..

Latest posts

Back