1987 Warrior replacement CDI box?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetFuelBurner

Reaction score
The saga continues still...

I've done some more research on my charging/electrical issues. The new stator is in. Cranks but won't fire.

The CDI Flywheel's magnetism is very weak. I've found that there are some that can re-magnetize "Magneto Flywheels". Guys that rebuild old tractors have this done from time to time as do those who rebuild antique aircraft/warbirds. They have very large magnetos.

My father-in-law who has rebuilt everything from cars/trucks to farm combines to CSX locomotives made a point. The flywheel won't get de-magnetized in one shot. It takes a long time. While pouring over the Clymer manual, the Yamaha service manual and looking at the old stator (is was in fact bad), he thinks the CDI box or the voltage regulator may be the culprit.

Well...good luck finding either of those.

Soooo, anyone know where I can find either of these?

It's been suggested that I upgrade the electrical/charging system. If I upgrade the electrical/charging system to a newer series, what all is involved in parts and cost?

A lot of big questions but I'm about done throwing good money after bad with part after part after part.

It would involve swapping out the cdi, wiring harness, possibly voltage reg, stator and flywheel. I've been doing some research, and there is a POSSIBLITY that a 97-01 cdi can be made to work. Haven't gotten one so I can try it yet. It MAY be able to be made work with the 1st gen stator and flywheel.

I've been doing some research, and there is a POSSIBLITY that a 97-01 cdi can be made to work. Haven't gotten one so I can try it yet. It MAY be able to be made work with the 1st gen stator and flywheel.

Although it might be over my head, with help from my father-in-law, if it can be done...he can get it done.

Keep me in the loop if you find that it can in fact be done. I'm about done sinking money into this thing but I'd also hate to have to part it out.

In theory it should work. I just need to get my hands on one, and the pig tails that plug into it. If anyone has an extra and would like to "lend a hand" please feel free. I'll even send it back to you if you don't want to get rid of it.

^^^ There ya go Pat!! now you just have to sweet talk it off bronc3buster

I wont lie, they sell for quite a bit new. Used seem to be around 60. I don't NEED it, but would like to try it out. I'll pay shipping both ways. Just need a unit to prove right or wrong.

Let me see if I can come up with some cash. Im really wanting the one beastly has. So usally i have to start selling spare parts.

ill get ya informed..

No prob. I know how it is. If I didn't still need parts for the stroker, I'd buy it off you. But, it's not a must have on my list.

I have had all kinds of problems with my electrical system as well and was also thinking of upgrading to a newer setup. I was looking at some newer wiring harnesses on ebay. If I was to do this what would be the best year setup to get and what all would be needed. I have an 87. I have even gone as far as unwrapping the entire harness and checking every wire for bad wires and connectors. The biggest problem I currently have is if I turn off the bike with the key it continues to run and just kills the lights so I have to then kill the engine with the kill switch. The other problem I have is that it will only start in neutral and when I connect the 2 wires from the clutch safety switch I can not shut it off at all. It is a real mess but as long as I ride it its not a big problem because I know how to make everything work. It would be nice to have everything work correctly though.

Once again, look at the remale end of the ignition switch plug. Good chance that they are spread to far apart, and you have a poor contact. Happened to me, and I see it all too often being a mechanic. Take a pick or small pocket screw driver, and bent the female connectors in a little to make it tight. That is the most likely "simple" problem with your ignition switch not shutting the bike off.

Thread resurrection. I'm selling it/parting it out. Thanks for the suggestions/help guys.

Back