06 Recon

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave76

Reaction score
Hey I bought my wife a 06 Honda Recon, and all I can say is this thing is a POS, Anyone with experience with Hondas, I need help. This thing just hates to idle, especially when cold, and it stalls constintly when shifting from reverse to first or vice versa. Plus if you don't ride the hell out of it the battery goes dead. Whats the deal, they got a bogus cold starting system too, nothing like a Yamaha, had I known this I would of waited for the yami dealer to get the Big Bear 250 in the color she wanted.

I had a 99 recon, had it for 5 years with no problems other than brakes. Did you buy it brand new? I'd just take it back to the dealer and let them handle it under warranty.

They are a little cold blooded, and yeah, the choke isn't very useful. You just have to crack the throttle open to keep the rpms up a few seconds before it's ready to idle. Maybe you just need to turn the idle up to keep it from stalling, if I remember correctly there's a screw on the side of the carb where the cable goes into it.

I'd take that little honda over the yamaha any day. Mine was bulletproof reliable, fun as hell to ride, and they hold their resale value very well. The only complaints I had about it were that the drum brakes were a pain to keep working properly (but I rode it hard) and that it HATED to be started in cold weather, like every other honda.

my yz426 is a bitch to start in the winter and ive worked on a few recons they are bullit proof adn how i fixed the cold starting prolbum just like i do to my rc trucks i takea heat gun and warm the head and cyclinder walls up it makes for a warmer start

yeah bro recons are tanks, i had an 01 for 3 years with zero problems except a jet clog. take it to the dealer.

We'll see guys, I called the dealer and he told me that Hondas have really weak stators and just letting them idle won't charge the battery, meaning buy a battery tender or ride it hard, his exact words. He said his Honda is the same way. And yeah the cold starting does suck, so mabe I will turn up the idle.

True, the stator is a little on the weak side. I guess either you get a strong stator that burns out frequently like yamahas, or you get a weaker one that'll last forever with the hondas.

Latest posts

Back