06 450 rear brake squeek

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...this is yet another problem that I fixed a long time ago... my end solution was to put a bevel on the leading edge of the pad - basically a chamfer on the initial contact poing where the pad meets the rotor.

I did these photos to an old set of pads for demonstration purposes only - here, you can see the chamfer isn't that harsh - but effective.
dsc016763ke7.jpg

Here you can see that you need to do the same edge on both pads - the arrow shows rotor rotation in the forward direction.
dsc016762pj8.jpg

I'd like for someone with squeaky brakes to give this a try and see if it solves there problems too.

I had a mechanic who used to do this to brakes pads on cars as well. He said it was pretty effective with stopping the squeak.

I have heard of people having good luck using the Tusk brand carbon pads, and getting rid of the squeak.

thanks for the advice, i painted my wheels yesterday and while i had them off i took the rear brake apart and beveled the leading edge of the pad and also put lithum greas on the slide pins when going back together, all i have rode was in the field behind my firestation since i have been here going on 48 hours now but no squeek....we are going down on the river tomorrow so im sure ill find out for sure if it is going to be a permanate fix or not....

Just wondering if you need a "high temperature" grease on the slide pins???

I just replaced the rears w/ the Tusk carbon one today. I didn't have any high temp grease around so just used lithium grease. Also I sprayed the slide pins with a dry lube first before the lithium.

I won't have it out until the weekend of May 18th.

well cant say if it was a good fix or not.....they were quiet for a long time but then they began sqeeking again, but not near as loud...keep in mind we were riding in sand so that may have been the cause of the noise.....wont be sure till she gets a bath and some more ride time

In my opinion, anything that stays "wet" or "sticky" is a no no for the caliper slide pins - the reason why is that it attracts dust and debris....all of which gunk up the slide holes in the pads.

If you feel the need to lube them I'd recommend a dry lubricant such as graphite or the like.

Now that I sit here thinking about it, I think it might be a good idea to take the pads and do a slight countersink on the slide pin holes in the pads - this would aleviate some of the "binding" that happens to them if they get canted ever so slightly - that's when you get the sharp edge of the pad grabbing the pin itself...... Might have to experiment with this idea.

Great idea, 95Wolverine. I am putting on my shoes now (on my feet, not on the bike) and will try your idea of a slight counter sink to the pads' backing plate.

well the bevel on the pads is a no go, at least on the stock pads......still getting the constant squeal.....so any long term fixes that have been found..the carbon pads maybe.....my pads are good, but if you have the solution to the squeal....they'll be changed tomorrow!!!!!!!

Carbon pads may wear quicker than sintered metal. From what I've read, sintered metal pads are made for stainless rotors...which is what we all have on our machines. Stainless is a harder metal and thus needs a beefier pad. If you do go carbon, make sure you check them regulary for wear.

I installed Tusk pads and the problem went away. Just keep an extra set laying around.

Just put the Tusk carbon pads on and ohhhhhhhhhh its like heaven no more annoying SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKK. Wish I would have changed them sooner. Dont know which one was worse the squeek or everyone saying "about time for new breaks, yours sound pretty bad."

I put the ebc brakes on my 450 and it is so much nicer, after 100 miles with no sqeaking (dusty and wet rides both)

carbon pads

After 8-10 rides the Tusk carbon pads are worthless if you do some serious ATV'n. Going back to the stock they squeek but at least I can use my breaks.

You might try the ebc pads, mine work great and I have over a 100 miles on them with no problems yet.

Stainless Steel rotors will eat carbon pads up in no time. You'll want a sintered metal pad.

I have the same problem with my cruiser, except its alot more embarrassing on the street. I did the chamfer to the leading edges a couple years ago, it helped, but what alot of it was was the discs getting a light coat of road dust and grime on them, then when I'd apply the brakes they would glaze, and therefor sqeal. Its probably just due to the factory using the most economical/ adequate pads, and I probably should change them out soon anyhow, but what I tend to do is take them off and rub them on some fine sandpaper ( lay the paper down flat on a table/ bench and rub the pad on it ), just enough to remove the glaze and the annoying sqeak.

Latest posts

Back