03' wolverine light amounts of black smoke from exhaust

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazed1

Reaction score
My wolverine is a 03' but the previous owner got very sick and in 03 he kept it in his climate controlled garage and never rode it again . he got it fixed to sell it a few months back and from sitting so long the battery went dead of course and the carb was in the on fuel position so the carb had to be cleaned to and new oil and filter too .

Assuming that the gas was sitting in the carb had to be the culprit from being in there 7yrs i assumed to get it running perfect again and I "ASSUMED" the mechanic drained that gas too but i have ran it almost out finally and let me remind you this atv is still haven to be brocken in because he never even got to run a full tank of gas through it before he put it up with plans to hopefully ride later.

I know I might have rambled on too much but trying to get a idea what the culprit might be and the idle screw average measurement is

ON ANOTHER NOTE TOO BUT PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN . IF anyone on here has a stock 350 4x4 wolverine setup could you PLEASE give me a measurement of how much your idle spring /screw is at distance between cause I tweaked it some and want to be in the right ball park and dont own a tach meter !

Its running fine and literally the atv is so new looking for a 03' ! I have got about 15 miles on it , but I am still on the same tank of gas that was in there when i got it and is suspect it could be the original with fuel stabalizer but not sure the smell is kind of faint imo.

The Wolvy seems to be running fine but if i look closely there is a small amount black smoke coming out of the exhaust when giving it throttle taps and the outside temp is not cold either . It is not burning oil to my knowledge , and the air filter is good too but not sure if that could have anything to do with it but I checked it anyways . Is this possible its the fuel or the fact that this quad is still so new it could be burning of stuff in the pipe since it has only 3 hours on it total is my guess .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to adjust my idle based on temp...and at times, where I'm riding. I find there's no set idle that works everywhere. I'm a also a little OCD...but that's another story. HA!

I wouldn't worry about the black smoke. It's probably just some "stuff" blowing out from sitting for so long. After you break it in, run it out a bit and I'm sure it'll go away.

If it runs fine run a carb cleaner in the next tank and check after the next tank after that. Mechanic might have just topped off the tank and left the old gas. I only have carb specs up to 2001. Idle speed is 1500rpm and the ajuster screw is bottom it and 2 turns out. I don`t know if this will work for yours, but it might give you a start point. Black smoke usually means rich running, I`d run the cleaner and make sure the carb is properly adjusted.

Thanks guys i will try to get a tachometer somehow and adjust it ro stock settings again my city elevation of Raleigh,NC isnt high so stock settings should do . I think the gas is a mixture of old and new I might run some 93 through and see what happens incew the tank is almost empty and the smoke is very faint too.

Hey Binky you have any specific brand names you would use to drop it in tank of gas for the Carb cleaner ???? I dont want to mess anything up so i might just use a cunt hair of it and do the math on the mix

I ran a whole bottle of just the cheap carb cleaner (not injector cleaner)through in 2 fillings. I put it in my 5 gallon gas can. Helped dissolve some crud.

I ran a whole bottle of just the cheap carb cleaner (not injector cleaner)through in 2 fillings. I put it in my 5 gallon gas can. Helped dissolve some crud.

yup ^^^^, I usually use stp, but any carb cleaner will do

I have to adjust my idle based on temp...and at times, where I'm riding. I find there's no set idle that works everywhere. I'm a also a little OCD...but that's another story. HA!

I wouldn't worry about the black smoke. It's probably just some "stuff" blowing out from sitting for so long. After you break it in, run it out a bit and I'm sure it'll go away.

I think thats what it is 4sure

Latest posts

Back