my new project

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the head was ran out of oil and ruined prettty muchevery thing in it. The exhaust valve is practically welded open. What besides running it low on oil would do that? Oil pump?

Well the head was ran out of oil and ruined prettty muchevery thing in it. The exhaust valve is practically welded open. What besides running it low on oil would do that? Oil pump?

Blocked oil passage, the drain plug strainer being clogged will do it also. I havent heard of many oil pump failures on the warrior.

Do a search for my posts on this subject. Lazy people simply run the crap out of these machines and fail to change the oil, simple as that. Filter gets clogged and sucked shut, starves the top end and eats the cam, rockers, rocker shafts, cam bearings, rings...

Mine had the same problem. Pump was fine.

Thanks guys. Guess I'm on the search for a good used head. I don't have the money for a full head rebuild right now.

EDIT: ordered a head from tt warrior

Last edited:
the previous owner should be ashamed.
20120227174529.jpg

Holy ****! The previous owner deserves a huge kick in the nuts for that. I mean really, how hard is it to change the dang oil?!

Some people swear they changed the oil regularly. Then you ask about the filter. There is a filter?? You just want to slap them for not doing a little reading and understanding of the toy.

I couldn't believe it. Its no wonder why the top end was getting no oil. Some people just dont care about their machines.

Refer to post #43.

Yup, it's that simple.
Be sure to take the clutch cover off and flush the crankcase with something like an aerosol degreaser or brake cleaner. It is full of the same crap on the bottom of the transmission.
Do NOT let solvent get on the clutches.

Why Yamaha ran the crankcase breather to the snorkel without filtration is beyond me. All of that shizz that is in the airbox pic finds its way into the breather...along with clutch and gear chunks...

Last edited:
Refer to post #43.

Yup, it's that simple.
Be sure to take the clutch cover off and flush the crankcase with something like an aerosol degreaser or brake cleaner. It is full of the same crap on the bottom of the transmission.
Do NOT let solvent get on the clutches.

Why Yamaha ran the crankcase breather to the snorkel without filtration is beyond me. All of that shizz that is in the airbox pic finds its way into the breather...along with clutch and gear chunks...

Haha yea good call on that. And i def plan on doing some kind of flush to get the old crud out of there.

So i got a new top end gasket kit, yet when i was tearing down the top end the only gasket was a metal head gasket and bottom jug gasket. The kit also has like 10 orings and i only see 3that can be used. Am i just confused or am i not seeing things correctly?

edit: Now that i look at the kit i wonder if some are meant to be used in the head. Like valve seals.

Last edited:
You're waaaay far away from needing the gaskets.

You should pull the cam, valves and rocker shafts and inspect them for heat damage and galling from being run dry. You'll be very, very lucky if they are ok... You already said the exhaust valve was stuck...as in galled to the guide (metal exchanged from guide to valve stem).

Yes, all of those parts are used. Rocker cover o-rings, valve seals, cylinder oil passage, etc.

Get a repair manual, downloadable or otherwise. It shows where each part goes.
This will give you an idea:
http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/...L_TERRAIN_VEHICLE)/CYLINDER_(YFM350XL_-_1999)

You're waaaay far away from needing the gaskets.

You should pull the cam, valves and rocker shafts and inspect them for heat damage and galling from being run dry. You'll be very, very lucky if they are ok... You already said the exhaust valve was stuck...as in galled to the guide (metal exchanged from guide to valve stem).

Yes, all of those parts are used. Rocker cover o-rings, valve seals, cylinder oil passage, etc.

Get a repair manual, downloadable or otherwise. It shows where each part goes.
This will give you an idea:
http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/...L_TERRAIN_VEHICLE)/CYLINDER_(YFM350XL_-_1999)
Way ahead of you brother. I ordered a good working head of off TTwarrior. I already have the piston and jug on. just waiting for the head to come in next week sometime.

Sweet.
Make sure the o-rings and rubber "bushing" looking thing get installed in the proper order, on the right rear cylinder bolt.
That's the passage that carries the dinosaur sauce upstairs to the head. It'll probably leak like a SOB if they're not right.

I had to ask to be sure when I did mine.

The cam and rocker cover o-rings will be obvious, as well as the valve seals. There aren't any others in the head, so to speak. Just the one between the head and cylinder, and cylinder and case.
Follow the link above and this one: http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/...RAIN_VEHICLE)/CYLINDER_HEAD_(YFM350XL_-_1999)
and you'll be fine.
Good luck.

Sweet.
Make sure the o-rings and rubber "bushing" looking thing get installed in the proper order, on the right rear cylinder bolt.
That's the passage that carries the dinosaur sauce upstairs to the head. It'll probably leak like a SOB if they're not right.

Hmmm maybe i should pull my jug and recheck it. It set in there right but it did seem to move around a little more than i thought it should. I didnt replace the oring on it becuase it looked good. but i think i will go ahead and change it out now that you mention it.

Back