Got it running, now new problem.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know how you feel about not wantin to just throw parts at it
there should be a small ground wire that comes off of the main and goes into the harness that the one i had issues with.it connects with what i call a quick connect when i went to take mine apart it fell apart. i believe that one goes to the coil to ensure a good ground to it. ya the only fuse is the main one. if that ground and the connectors are good that would tell me your down to coil and cdi.

In the rear of the bike or front ? I checked the ground on the coil but the thing is I am not getting anything from the orange wire that goes to the coil. and why intermitant ? doesnt a CDI just go or does it fluctuate ?

i have heard of them just going, but i have also heard of them sending very little spark. thats from 2 friends that had 660 raptors that had cdis go bad. here is a pic of the small gound coming off of the main ground that i had issues with.

warriorground.jpg

the quik connect is right beside the air box so might not be able to see it. the way it stops flashing the test light could be ground the cdi. have you tryed the coil off of the other quad yet? if that ground is good and all the stuff in the stator check out i would say cdi box

Well I pulled the coil off the warrior and put it on the bruin, the bruin fired right up and I drove it around just to make sure. I put the bruin coil on the warrior but the plug wire wasnt long enough even if I only used one bolt hole. but you would think the coil is good since I put it on the bruin and it drove fine. I didnt see that wire your speaking of but I am going out there now and check for it. I'll let you know, but thank you again for your help. I appriciate it.

Just went and looked, I am hoping this is what your talking about, I thought about cutting it out and just solder it or butt connector it to eliminate it being a problem. the battery end looks good from what I can see.
100_1242.jpg

100_1243.jpg

on the second pic the little wire that comes off of the ground was my problem wire if that end is hooked to it pull it apart and check to make sure its good after that i would say the cdi is bad

I checked with a test light both side of the connection and both lite up strong. I am looking for someone in my area with a warrior I could try my cdi on, if not maybe I can ship it to someone and have them test it on their bike.

well if it comes to shipping it to someone let me know. it will be the same one as mine. i hope thats it, so you can get riding.

I will take a pic of the CDI but I am sure its correct. I am checking around here but noone as of yet, I will look into how much shipping and such is going to be because for 50$ I can buy one of ebay so I dunno. wish there was an easier way to see if its bad though. I really appriciate you though !

anyone from 97 to 01 will work for sure. it should only be a couple bucks to ship. i shipped a computer mouse to the east coast and with insurance and delivery conformation it only cost like 3 dollars. i was in the same boat as u with the cdi but luckily i found out what my true prob was before because i was gunna drop 175 for a dynatek.

it was doing the same thing til you completely lost your spark. i had a no start with a weak spark wired that together after the connector broke and she fired right up on like the first crank. i had replaced the pickup coil cause it was bad and the ignition coil cause it tested like double what it was supposed. i never tried it with it disconnected to see what happened to see if it would cause no spark.

psycho, did you re-test the stator specs after you lost spark? It's possible that it was a bad stator or pickup out of the box, or something came loose inside or made contact with the stator after it turned over the first time.

Yeah I went back and checked it again and even a 3rd and 4th time after I got tired of messing with it, it was right on. I had nice spark to like it jumped atleast a half inch to the screw driver and then all the sudden nothing, checked right then the power to the coil and it was gone. what does that ground wire do, does that ground the coil ?

And now all I did was take the screw driver out and put the plug in the boot and spark is gone, even tried taking the boot apart and go directly in the wire and nothing, nothing to the coil either now. before when it was sparking the continuity tester would flash green as the motor cranked over. now it has nothing. whats going on here.

Well after messing with it some more I decide to check the exact numbers of the coil, I could only get the secondary reading from the spade where the orange wire connects and the spark plug wire end, I have 15.66. book calls for 6.32-9.48 so its out of spec from those numbers, but why can I put this coil on the bruin and it fires right up and runs fine ??

edit took the coil off and got the primary reading, it was 7.5 ohms and spec is 0.18 - 0.28.

wow how long did it take you to get picture of that spark?! hahaha i know if i tried it would have been forever.... if it was jumping that far i'd say your coil is good but dont qoute me... sometimes it is hard to get an accurate reading off od the coil it seems

Actually it took the pic almost on the first shot. I ordered a new coil, hopefully be here friday. if it dont work then I have a spare coil to sell off lol. lets keep the fingers crossed lol

Ok well here we go again, I ordered a replacement coil and still nothing, I took the new coil and put it on the bruin and it fired right up, just like the OEM one did. so I have not a clue of what it could be. when I check the specs to the service manual it says the primary is under the specified numbers, but yet it still fires the bruin up no problem. I have spark one minuete and then next its gone. I am clueless and frustrated now. any ideas or it is time for the scrapper ?

HOT DAM ! it was the polarity on the pickup, red goes to white and white to red, who would have thought !!!!! time to get some gas and see whats up ! thanks all who helped ! IM not out of the heat yet but its a start !

Back