92 build.. (More of a log/history record realy)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ordered a new rear sprocket.. 40 tooth.. thats whats on it already so i just stayed the same, so it'll be 14 front, 40 rear, 20inch tires...

yeah, i just couldnt help myself n got em thrown on today.. hehehe

played with it a lil bit, did a couple mild burnouts with her just.. well because I could, and i was puting new tires on her anyways.. lol

some pickies...

201005100746.jpg

201005101525-1.jpg

201005101525.jpg

much better!!! lol

what do you guys torque your wheels to? manual say like 36ft/lbs... thats less than the cam bolt!! lol

re-adjusted my clutch linkage, tweaked my chain and re-tightend the axle carrier nuts/bolts, and fixed the thumb throttle, it had alot of sloppiness to it.. little nut inside wasnt tight enough.. I suspect I was missing the top 2/3 - 3/4 or so of my throttle.. now Im worried I may not have been running it nearly as high as I should have been during the break in... lol..

I wish this thing had a tach so I knew better what things are.. im just not familiar enough with these engines.. I think i've still yet to be close to topping it/revving it out.. kinda a shame with this new cam realy.. hehe

hmm.. apparently I didnt have enough to do at work today.

rode her home from the shop tonight, think im gona pretty much leave her parked for the week, then this weekend I'll change sprockets, and take her out to the trails and play with the jets/carb.

Need someplace I can actualy open her up and such and see what shes realy doing.. living in town kinda sucks.. wouldnt be too bad if I had a plate and such on her already.. lol it wouldnt be such a big deal to come in and out to the trail..

they'll leave me be if im not a dink n all and just head straight for the trail and to home.. besides.. I fix all their cop cars.. lol
(Not in any way intended as a threat, taunt, subtle anything, jokingly or otherwise.. just saying I know em and if im behaving they they arent concerned.. not that I dont behave either... )

Same here, I just tighten them down as tight as I can. Glad to see it looking good again. That stage 1 will wake up the engine a lil bit for yah.

yeah i just take my impact wrench to em and tighten em up, and nice skid plate, dont want to wreck that new rear sprocket and chain do ya?

hawkster0001 said:
yeah i just take my impact wrench to em and tighten em up, and nice skid plate, dont want to wreck that new rear sprocket and chain do ya?

I havent put the new sprockets on yet... hehe..

but yeah, at the least a rear skidplate was inthe back off my mind.. I was sneaking it across the four post hoist and the tire slipped off the side n thunk... there it rested on the sprocket and brake disc.. i was like "oh yeah.. I see how that is.. "

lol

the new rear sprocket should be here tommorrow, if not then the next day. Interstingly enough, I argued for two days with the old journeyman about how a 14 tooth sprocket would affect it over the 13.. I dunno what he was thinking.. something about more teeth, but same size.. ??? is that even possible...?? (aside from maybe changing pitch etc and chain on both kinda thing??)

in the end, I won.. lol

I didnt get a new tho.. prolly should, I know, I may wait and order one so it shows up for next payday, (Friday after this) or if they have one in sock, just grab it then, in which case I'll just wait and do the sprockets then.

now a question for eveyone...

on the bottom side of the where the chain runs, on the frame, up near the front, shold there be a roller/guid or something there? (Im assuming there is, as theres one up top, kinda a round roller sorta thing.)

On mine theres nothing, and I wouldnt have known any different aside from yesterday when adjusting the chain, I noticed it dang near rubs on a threaded hole/bolt mount.

hmm.. maybe I should go take a pic of it all...

I dont plan on doing any riding realy till this weekend, wich will be mostly to test n tune the carb/jets..

Im so anxious!! I just went out n stared at her and such and wanted to go for a rip.

Edit:
As for wheel torque, being as I work in a mechanical shop, that also has a tire store and shop on the other side of things, I find its best if I torque em properly and all, all though I did bump it up after torqing to 36lbs.. I was like screw that! lol

So you can see along the bottom of the frame theres a little stub/mount/bolt hole.. I think theres actualy the remains of something inthere as well.. soo, whats supposed to go in there? Im assuming a sorta roller dealy like the black one up above it in the pick?

201005111715.jpg

In this one you can see whats left of the chain guide or whatever it used to be. I dont know what those other tabs with holes between the guide ad the shock in the picture, are for.

201005111716.jpg

As you can see, I cant afford another misshap with the chain..
(This was how it was when I bought it...)
201005111716-1.jpg

hopefully someone can let me know what I need to fix these things. The pics in the manual just arent clear enough for me to realy know what im looking at, and I havent come across much in picks n such on the forum.

And just a bonus pick, for your answers and help! ;)

201005111717.jpg

There is supposed to be a top and bottom roller for the chain and the chain does go through the guide,you are missing about half of it.
Those tabs are for a rear skid plate,a good investment.Just be sure to keep your chain aligned and adjusted.Lookin good too!

^ Yupp, what He said. The lower roller is actually more important then the top roller. I'm thinking that they sell the rollers and guard as a combo set, I forget who sells them but you should be able to find them. Common brake on that case too. Watch you chain slak and carrier bolts often and you'll never thorw a chain again.

Also, I'm lovin the AMC. I always wanted one of those to offroad in.

baddawg said:
There is supposed to be a top and bottom roller for the chain and the chain does go through the guide,you are missing about half of it.
Those tabs are for a rear skid plate,a good investment.Just be sure to keep your chain aligned and adjusted.Lookin good too!

okay, cool.. I thought maybe there was suposed to a sorta idler/tensioner sprocket linda thing there, but that would take more than one bolt hole... now tha I look at it, im not sure how its suposed to attach.. if it WAS a bolt hole, then somebodies gon n welded the bolt in there from the outside... = drilling out, retapping etc etc... ugh

I'll just have to get one and see how its suposed to be.

and as for chain alignment/tension, and carrier bolts as you both mentioned, for sure, thats actualy what I was doing when I noticed that roller missing. ;)

(I loosened it off when re-installing the engine assay to get the chain back on.. just to make luife easier cuz I just couldnt quite get the link back in.. lol)

deadlastracing said:
^ Yupp, what He said. The lower roller is actually more important then the top roller. I'm thinking that they sell the rollers and guard as a combo set, I forget who sells them but you should be able to find them. Common brake on that case too. Watch you chain slak and carrier bolts often and you'll never thorw a chain again.

Also, I'm lovin the AMC. I always wanted one of those to offroad in.

haha.. I got that car for free in exchange for some work on the inlaws vehicles.. he got it for 300$ after I tried for a couple mnths to buy it off the old lady.
Im about 4000$ into it, and just a coulple weekends ago knocked reverse outta it when I decided I wanted to 4x4 my way throught he snow drift in our driver during a freak snow storm!!!
I didnt even make it to the drift! *Pouts*

but, I have 2 more cars lined up for a flat of beer.. hehe.. just need a place to store em.. soo, got a couple trannies lined up.

I dont expect em to be great for offroading, I mean they will do it and all, but you need to go all out on em and realy mod em with solid front axles and stuff to realy get into it..

I got a fair amount f things I wanna do/ fix/alter with her yet.. HEI, 2100 carb, etc etc. a few customizationss and all, but meh.

Its supposed to be the car to tow my quad with for away riding trips etc.. had a trailor lined up for 500$..

now i cant use it at the time being, cant tow my tent trailor or nothing!!!!

on a side note, I found an SX/4 for 800$, but needs the rockers repaired.. I REALY REALY want one of those!!! (Think the 4x4 eagle wagon, but shorter 2 door version, more of a muscle looking car.. god I want one!! just cant afford it and the 5-6 one way trip to pick it up n trailor it back home.. lol.. but Im still thinking.. almost did it instead of the quad.. but I wanted a toy I didnt have to fix.. <--- FAILED, and something fun etc etc.

I think tho I wanna get like a little ford ranger.. small, cheap on gas, can haul the quad, and the tent trailor...

and I have a couple 2.3L turbo engines if I wanted to make the ranger all fast n stuff.. hehe

But if you want, heres a link to my build/project thread for the eagle... for the quick n short version, just skim through the picks.. hehe. alot of little things n such,
but dont stop till you at least check out the ps2 action on the 14" flatscreen.. take note of the image on screen... I've always loved quads.. (not sure what that particular one is, and nothing special, but meh.. a little atv love, from back in the day.. lol

But anyways, thanks everyone again for the help and assistance with everything.. Im sooo close to having this thing good to go in its original glory, only better!!!

EDIT:
HAHA.. forgot the link..
My 82 AMC eagle wagon Limited project thread:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=21724.0

also, if you click on the big bird/site logo, then on the ROTM link, it will pop up a page with kickin pics af various eagles form the site.. a nice quick way to see some variations/modded ones.. :D

anyways, sorry.. the eagles get me a bit excited as well.. hehe..

back on topic now...

I love my quad.

gona figure out what draws the headlamps pull, and prolly convert to H4 style lights.. brighter with the same power draw.. prolly get away with 55-75watt ones. (The rating on those are wierd. IE: a 65watt light will only draw 35watts, but puts out 65watts equivelant light. (Just an example, not neccesarily accurate..))

Or I may just add an extra set on the side.
got see what everything draws, and how much the stator or whaterver charges n runs things puts out and can spare towards lights etc.
meh.. all in good time!!!

That bottom roller is identical to the top and is bolted the same way.I run two 55 watt lights on one of the warriors with no problems.I had the two as high beams and a single small one as a low beam.

September of 2007 is awesome! Having an exo cage on an eagle. Cool stuff!

The two rollers are actually different in diameter, but they down mount the same. The rubber is around a metal slide/barring case, that slide over the shaft that is sticking out from the swingarm, then a bolt goes into the end of that.

How much of a differance in diameter?I've only replaced them once but they were the same.

deadlast, should hit that forum and do a search for "Strike eagle"

realy something to see for sure!
also theres a ... erm.. cant memebr the name of it, but someone built a dual rear axle one.. looks pretty kickin though!! lol

baddawg:
were those 55watt halogens or sealed beam style?

good to know on the rollers.. if theres suposed to be a little shaft sticking out to mount it onto then I may be okay, if the PO didnt chew it up already.

be pretty simple to lop it off and weld on a new small threaded pipe kinda thing if i need to.
I dont think the diameter would make a whole lot of difference aside from the speed the roller spins at..

does the chain go over top, or underneath of the roller? I suspect overtop.. yeah... that would make the most sense..

crud.. wonder how much those are gonna cost to now.. lol
prolly pretty cheap-ish I'd imagine, since they are kinda disposable/expected to wear out over time.

I'll have to phone tommorrow and get em orderd up for next friday. already borrowed 50$ of the boss today for the rear sprocket hehehe... it prolly came in today, but maybe not till tommorrow.. was too busy at work to phone and see.. they're sposed to call me when stuff comes in, but I dont think they ever do.. maybe once.. lol bet they get tired of me buggin em for silly little parts for a mere warrior.. lol

nah, they seem kewl about it, and havent said anything bad or turned thier nose up or anything, but i can just imagine what they're thinking since they all run banshees, YFZs, and ltrs etc, and then theres the whole 4x4 crowd.. lol

I could care less either way,and this frickin thing flys, and I havent even got the carb tuned yet... dont realy wanna go out and test n tune until I get the chain stuff fixed up.. think that will be about the end of "Whats needed"

and then the whats wanted and desired begins!!!

OOOOOooooo goody goody gum drops!!!! :D

(Did I just think that out loud and transfer it to my fingies..? )

my wish list for now (mostly asthetic):

-new front bumper,

- maybe one of those oil cooler guards, thos kinda look hawt! (Maybe make my own i I can get ahold of a plasma cutter, or if my cuzin can get use of a cnc.. prolly just plasma it though, I like doing stuff lke that. make it all nice and custom!)

-hand guards

-swing arm and maybe undercarriage guards

-upgrade the lights for sure.. ( you should see my eagle, its got 10 lights on the front of it, and far from done, those are only temp till I get the skid plate, bush guard etc on it, then she'll have 4-6 hi powered (IE daylighters, although theres better ones now-a-days) lights across the bumper, and the same amount across the roof. (I found some nice 1XX/195watt H3 bulbs.. hehe "Fatboys") combination of spot, driving, and pencil beam lights, and Headlight conversion to go from sealed beam to H3 (or was it H4?) bulbs.

so I've learned plenty about lighting to help me along the way with the warriors lights.. hehe

-contemplating picking up some little LED lights to tuck away on the warrior somewhere.. just to give it a little bit of something special n extra.. maybe get a UFO effect going for vehicles on the highway while I rip along the main trail. or something.. lol

-some beadlock rims... preferably white rims, with blue beadlocks.

-new handlebars. I realized the other day my toe/bars may not be off, and I think my handlebars are subtly bent...

and I dunno.. I sat out in the garage and stared at it for a few hours last night daydreaming.. Im sure theres more things I'd like to do to her, but generaly I perfer a lightly modded machine.. lol

thanks for help and answers once again everyone!

OMG! its supoosed to be like plus 23 or 27 or something this weekend.. I deff want to be out riding!! or at least tuning, weekend after this is the big camping/quading trip thingy..

soo excited!!! but i only got this weekend to get the rest of the bugs worked out. lol

cant search the forum unless I'm a member but it sounds cool.

The roller goes under the chain. Seeing a custom CNC'd front frame gueard would be cool. I wanted a custom one, but DG is the only company that makes them so I had to go with that.

You talking your temp in °C right? Weird Canadians. Hahahah

Those 55 watts were H3,like I said never had a problem with them ,only ran the pair when I was travelling with the revs up.

Yeah, celcius, hehe. its been great weather all weekend.
as for lights, gonna look around and see what I can find. I may try to find some suitable housings and parts from a vehicle that would look wicked on her.

so friday I ran the warrior over to my shop. it ran like utter crap, i thought holy hell, i gotta get this carb tuned.
but somehow, i knew it had to be more than that. seriously it wouldnt even get moving hardly, then died on me and just about wouldnt start.

I managed to limp her to the shop and i scratched my head.
i only took her there to make it easier to load and pick up the next day.

so the next day i go get her, and she didnt even hardly have enough power to get up on the trailor.

I brought her to the inlaws, the idea being, lots of places to ride it n all, and no worry about cops and pissing off the nieghbours, so I could get down to tunning the carb.

got her here, unloaded her, and she wouldnt even start!!

in the end, i found the little orange wire going to the coil had pretty much fallen right off. I squeezed the prongs shut, forced her on, nice n tight, and shes runs better than ever!!

I took her for a few test rides, checked the plug n all, and as far as \i can tell, the jettings just fine.
she does run a little bit rough, and not the smoothest throughout the throttle ranges, but i just cant quite pinpoint what she needs. I cant tell the diff between a hard stumble or a soft stumble etc. she backfires a hair when i let off sometimes.

then I noticed a light leak from the carb.
behind the black side cover. so pulling that out, inside theres a little pin/needle thingy that an arm thingy presses down on, and it seems to be leaking slightly from there, comming from the float bowl.

but anyways, took her for a good ride yesterday. after about half hr, we stopped. i shut her off, and then she wouldnt start.

no starter action..

so we gave her a tow start n off we went.

a bit of riding later, I passed a truck going down a dirt road... hehe
we finaly got to the good trails, and at one spot there was a tree felled over.
when i went around I had decidede to moe down a little tree.
damn thing showed me! up n over we went, I kinda bailed/flew off, and knew the thing was comming my way, rolled to teh side, and it stop right behind me.

I musta rebuilt the engine rather well, cause it stayed idling perfectly even upside down!! *Hits killswitch*

interestingly enough, my starter started working again!!
but then later on about 4 starts later, It decided to quit, but this time, i noticed a slight hint of smoke comming from underneath everytime I hit the switch... :-/

So anyways guess i got some wiring to attend to, but other than that the machines running great!!! goes like snot.. smokes the inlaws sportsman 500.. passed him, then grabbed another gear.. haha and I still gotta change sprockets, put that 14 tooth on the front and a new 40 tooth on the rear.

anyways. yeah.

201005151746.jpg

about 5mins after she rolled over and bucked me off.. just waiting for fluids to settle and spilt gas to evaporate.. lol

201005151805.jpg

we rode out to check out the group campsite we reserved like 4mnths ago for this comming weekend. god I cant wait!!

anyways, gonna go double check the plug to see how she is, and maybe tear into the wiring.. lol

I was just thinking and if you only buy from the dealer how do you get aftermarket parts? JW

I dunno, but they got my hotcam for me... lol

im not so sure they're your typical dealer. more of an outlet for whatever they wanna sell.

they have yamys, zukis and kawis there for sale, plus probably a few other things as well.. dont know, never paid too much attention.

T&T or TnT powersports I belive is the name.

plenty of pipes and bars and graphic kits and such hanging on their walls n shelves. :D

so I ripped apart the wiring harrness, tested some stuff...

I dont think I knew what I was doing... I couldnt get a reading otta the start switch.. lol

but seems to me like shes just not charging the batt anymore..

either that or my batt is cooked.. which would realy suck it seemed like it was brand new when I bought the quad and it was good and strong even with prolly close to a good 150-200 attempts to start it when figuring out the cam problem, it still had a good 12.xx volts in her. meh.. I'll load test it when I get it back home.

I suspect it may have something to do with that fuse issue.
digging into the wiring I didnt find anything too outta whack, or odd, cept where someone sodderd in some extra grounds, and connected some other wires. lol

Back