92 build.. (More of a log/history record realy)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynxgen

Reaction score
So, everything should have a "build thread."
But thats just me. Wether its from a complete teardown and rebuild from scratch, or as simple as removing the plastics and tossin in a filter.

Forr me, a build thread is a nice and great way to keep track of everything done on a particular machine. And a great way to show it off, show off your own skills and innovations, etc etc.

Also, if ever I sold the machine, I could just be like "...here. go home, type that link into ur puter, and you'll know pretty much everything I do about it, everything I've done, and all the answers to all the questions along the way."

I mean seriously, id be tickled pink if that had come with my machine.

at any rate, enough of that... lets get on with her shall we!

For those that read my welcome/introductory post, you already know where im at during this point in time... ugh...
A big fat standstill.

For those that dont know, the scoops here, along with my first few pics of it:
http://www.trx450rforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10557

the gist of it is, what i know about the machine, is this:
I talked the guy down from 1750 to 1450 for my 92 warrior.
I got about 15-20mins riding on it, (Including the test ride before I bought it,) and then she sputtered to a halt. just up and died.

It came with a supertrapp exhaust, and a K&N air filter.
The engines sitting at my work covered up with the head pulled off of it. The rest of the machine has been brought back and put in my garage.

This following week, the parts should be in, and by next weekend, I should be able to go ride her!!!

On order is stage 1 Hot cam, new sprocket, dowelpin and bolt for cam/sprocket, and upper and lower gaskets. (I have the upper set already, the local yama dealer had those in stock, the ones they gav me are Cometic.)

405$ for all the parts and everything.
Ironically, i just bought a new torque wrench off the mac tool truck 2 days ago as well, which cost awefully too close to the cost of the parts as well!! (320$) ish.

But I'll need it. Im an automotive mechanic aprentice, and its something that wont hurt to have. I have a bigger one, mostly for tires and such, but it doesnt have a suitable range for these engines.. lol

At any rate, I think the biggest thing Im gonna be dissapointed about is that iwont know what she runs like stock, so i wont know how much better it is than stock. I fear i may be less than impressed with the mods because of this. The only thing I can do after is go bigger... buuut its gonna be a while before i go all drastic with her.

once shes running properly, the first thing to do is get rid of that dang thumb throttle... seems as how I got tapped for cash rather quick, it may be this comming payday, but if not probably the next and I'll order up the twist throttle kit. (was quoted 98$ from the yammy dealer.)

the other thing I need is a jet kit. i imagine with that cam it'll need a bit of tweaking.. thing is, i dont know where its at now with the exhaust and filter... It came this way.. maybe they never even touched the jets.

Ahh well... hopefully next week I'll be ripping along the trails on her!

Well just saying this if money is an issue DO NOT buy from the dealer they are 4x what you can get stuff for online.

when i bought my 97 warrior for $800 a few months ago.it had a full toomey exhaust and a k&n filter its a solid runner pulls hard for what it is im happy with it and i hope the same for you.good luck

id say look for a twist throtle in ebay, or just go to a motorcycle salvage yard and look for one that fits

Tyler said:
Well just saying this if money is an issue DO NOT buy from the dealer they are 4x what you can get stuff for online.

I have issues with buying stuff online...

for one, I dont have and never have, and never will own a credit card.. I have a paypal account, but im not patient enough to wait like 8days for the money to go in, clear, etc etc etc from my account.

beyond that, I have tried buying a few things online... I have a 110% fail ratio for trying to buy stuff online. I have a guy that could do it for me, no probs n all, but I figure, for example the Hotcam,
I found it for 135-165$ on ebay.

by the time I pay shipping, 25$, convert the currency to US funds, and get dinged 40$ for customs fees, (Which I cant pay for cuz I dont have a credit card, and havent seen my check blanks in like 10 years, and ups etc wouldnt take cash,) in the end, its the same cost give or take 10$. And this way, If anythings wrong, or its wrong, or no good/deffect, I can walk across the street and slap it down on thier counter be like "Hey, no good, fix this issue."

as oppose to weeks of trying to correct it online, waiting for more shipping, etc etc etc.

I'll just pay the bit extra to keep things nice and simple... hehe

as for the twist throttle, its only 98$ for the whole kit, whatever that is, specificaly for the warrior, (And who knows what else, lol) and brand new.

I have 5 cars sitting in my driveway... all are constant long term projects.. some longer than others... lol, in comparission, even overpriced quad parts from the dealership are dirt cheap!!!

not that im opposed to saving money, or getting good deals and all, but you get what you pay for, and im impatient.. hehe...

I can see your point of view, espesh being outta the states and all. Main problem with that and the warriors, is that not to many people make of have new parts for them, so Its not like you can go to your "dealer" and get the latest aftermarket part. Plus Buying online allows you to finds deals.....steal deals sometimes. I swear by it, I woulden't have 80% of the stuff for my quad if it weren't for online shopping and deal hunting. Tires, oils, filters (most commonly maintenanced stuff) I will always buy locally.

the only thing i HAVE NOT bought online for mine is the front sprocket washer and nut, because the dealership had it on stock and i had to have it that day. And of coarse oil gas and that stuff.

Aye, I totaly see your guys point, and I know how much more bang for buck I could get and how many other options it would open up.

Eventualy I will get the whole online buying stuff figured out, but for now, this does me just fine. :D

so, for a quick update:

Step one, Get all comfy and cozy and set up for a nice relaxing engine tear down and rebuild lol:
201004241317.jpg

201004241319.jpg

Using one of the four post hoists at work as a bench worked out quite nice. I could set it at a perfectly comfortable working hieght, adjust the hieght of the stool, pulled my tool... box over to where it was close at hand. Grabbed the pinball machine.. erm.. I mean allignment machine, which just happens to have a copy of the YFM350 manual in .pdf frm on it, and set up camp.

all the parts and pieces Id gatherd over the last week or so were already stashed locked up in my tool box.

and then today, it took about 5 trips to get the rest of the stuff I needed... feeler gauges, assembly grease/compound, 4mm wrench (never did find one, and I called the Mac guy, but he was out of town, wont be back till around monday.. *pout*) and then again for cumbustion chamber cleaner, and then again for a new oil filter...

So finaly i get around to actualy working on her...

Pullin her apart Im confident I got all the little chips and chunks of the cam out.

Everything went smooth for the most part... however...

to the guy that wrote in the manual in the tips/notes box where it says, "Install the cylinder with one hand while compressing the piston rings with the other..."
I'd like to choke him out!!! THAT SUCKED!!!

the other problem I encountered, after everything was all said and done, torqued the head down, went to put the cam sprocket on... I dont know when or at what point it happend... but the stupid timming chain apparently isnt on the bottom sprocket anymore...

*Sighs*

thats the point I realized it was now 10 O'clock at night and I should walk away and go home...

so.. didnt get the engine back in the machine today as planned
tommorrow I'll gowiggle and shake and poke and pursuad and do everything I can to get that chain back on without pulling anything apart.. lol.

Ironicaly when I had it all apart etc I just kinda jiggled the chain and on it was.. but now with the chain guides in, i doubt I'll get that lucky again...

oh well.. that dang engine will be in that machine tommorrow one way or another... lol

*Crosses fingers*

hehe.. yeah, well, not mine, its at my work lol
but the perks of working there are often great.. I wouldnt ever get any work done if I had to do it in my own garage, which amounts to an oversized tin shed with a car door.. lol

at any rate, went and got the engine back together. Had to pull the case/cover open over the stator.

I dont know how I got so lucky last time, but this time, when I pulled the cover, that little shaft with the sprockets, right near the starter gear popped out.... aparrently, theres a little washer/shim that goes on back behind those gears... which dropped out and rested onthe bottom of the case.... *Sighs*

In the end, using a bit of 18 gauge wire, stripping it down, cutting all but 2 strands, tied the washer to em, then dangled it down from behind, wiggled, jiggled, got it back there, put a small flatblade through the gears and washer into the hole for the dowl/shaft, ripped off the wire, pulled the rest of the 2 strands out with small needle nose pliers, lined everything back up, while keeping the screw driver in thier to prevent the washer forom falling back out. once lined up, pressed the gear etc tight to the back, re-inserted shaft and VOILA!!!

And I thought I'd have to try and rip everything else apart again... lol

so once I got that on, got my timing chain back on the lower sprocket with a bit of fiddling, wired it up nice and tight, and re-assembled.

did all the gibbly gookly stuff with setting the timming and all that and went about adjusting the valves.

however...

When I went to adjust the exhaust valves, the end of the tappet and where the tappet hits against is sort of rounded/divited and Im not sure on how to get a proper reading.. I suspect its one of those things I should be replacing... ?? *Sighs*

I figured something was wrong when the intake side I had to turn like maybe 1/4 to a half, and after like 2-3 turns on the exhaust side, the feeler gauge still wouldnt fit between there.

so.. I got the engine back together, but wont bother putting it back in the machine till I decide what to do with the adjustment/tappets/etc.
*Sighs*

grrr.. I hate waiting for parts.. adjustors should be in any day now.. maybe even before the weekend if Im lucky!!!
*Crosses fingers*

Im gettin soooooooo ansy!!!

On a side note, since I had the piston head/chamber and everything off, do I basicaly have to re-brake in the engine kinda thing?

I have to break in the cam anyways, but I dunno...

Meh, guess I'll just wing it... *Cringe*

Hey man I think it is awesome that you are doing a log/build. The best advice I can give you on a project like this is just don't get in a hurry. The more research you do the more you can learn what all is out there and weigh the options of hundreds of setups and mods.
As for your credit card spill, I think that you need to rethink your credit card theory, a good credit card can actually make you money if you manage it rite. **** you can't hardy get a hotel or rent a car without a credit card. This day and times cash doesn't sleek as loud as you might think in the retail end of anything. I know some people that get hundreds of dollars money back a month just for using there card. Buying online is easier, safer and you can keep a log on a card just like a checking acount. Best rule is treat the card just like a checking acount. If you don't have it don't swipe it.
Anyways good luck with the build take more pics.

Aye, ya, its more of a "No body in there right mind" would probably give me a credit card.. hehe.

I'll get it worked out. would be nice to help build up soe credit to boot.

As for ordering parts and looking around and not getting into a rush, I pretty much go with gut instinct.

If I see something I like, and know I like it and just instantly want it, then its probably the part/piece I truely do want.

If Im skeptical and unsure, then for sure, I do my homework till I come to a solid decision on it. :D

Its kinda like a taking a women dress shoppin ya know?
They see a dress they realy like, try it on, and then try on about 8-10 other dresses... chances are in the end, they end up with the very first one they liked that struck their fancy!! (Or maybe thats just my ole lady... lol)

I wont rush it by any means. I just wish the parts would get here!!!

I just called about half hour ago.. the front sprocket is in, but the adjusters wont be in till next week sometime.. *Sighs*

Im contemplating if I should get the machine to the shop where the engine is and put her back together, but meh.

Be easier to put the adjusters in and do the initial valve adjusting with it out of the bike.. sooo... sit pretty and wait I guess...

I'll hold off on anymore picks till I get the engine back in and all.. nothing else has realy changed since the last picks, aside from the engines back together and covered up sittin on a shelf at work.. lol

Soo.. next weekend.. next weekend.. relaxe, just one more week.. one more short quick week... she'll be running next weekend... yes, yes she will... muaahahaha!!

on a side note to insure it, with theft, is almost as much as my car insurance.. WTF???

my car insurance is about 320$/yr..
the machine is like 198$... wtf? I can only ride it about 6-8mnths here... *Sighs*

AIGHT!!!

Got the adjusters and front sprocket yesterday finaly.

So today I got her all back together, (minus the front plastics for the moment,) and jsut finished the cam break-in ordeal..

ride for about 30 mins, keeping her above 3000rpm, refraining from any heavy engine loads...

sooo, just spent the last 30-ish minuts riding around in big circles and figure 8s etc out back of the shop... just tripled the amount of time I've gotten to ride this thing.. lmao!

this thing boots along pretty good in first gear!!! lol

So I bring her back in the shop and shut her down..

SHE IS HOT!!! HOT HOT SMOKIN HOT!! *Cringe* :eek:

I mean literaly smokin hot.. the exhaust didnt quite seem to be glowing yet at least... ;D
Im sure theres just a bit of film from cleaners and lubricants and such all over her just from manhandling her back into the machine and from everything else, but still.. just smelled like super heated metals and such as well..

guess if the paint didnt burn right off, then shes fine right ?? lol

so now I'm just waiting for her to cool down so I can re-check the valve clearances, change the oil, and likely change jets in the carb.
I figured she'd run a bit lean with the new cam n all, even if she wasnt before... and the more I tear into this thing, the more I decide the previous person to work on it shouldnt be allowed to work on anything... :mad:

At any rate, just eyeing up a set of ITP Holeshots sitting out front on the showroom floor, 20x11-9 muaahahaha!!! not that I realy NEED new tires... but the one rear tire looks a just a hair low.. cant risk a faulty tire out on the trail now can I.. ??? lol

Anyways, hope to be able to load up a pick or two of her out on trail ride tommorrow... weather pending... lol

EDIT: ahh what teh heck.. I know people love pics...
here is right after the break in of the cam...

201005081640.jpg

I dont know what the yellow paint stuff is.. cant see when the plastics on tho... and the yellow right near the front of the air box is the arm of the hoist seen through the space there.. lol

Yupp, looks like a warrior. Hahahah. Good work man. Check you plug and watch the pipe when it idles for a while, lets you kinda know your jetting situation. U always post a good read.

deadlastracing said:
Yupp, looks like a warrior. Hahahah. Good work man. Check you plug and watch the pipe when it idles for a while, lets you kinda know your jetting situation. U always post a good read.

:D

yeah the plug was a bit black, but dry, so I dont think shes runnin too bad, but perhaps a bit lean.

on a side note, I fixed up the exhaust... who tries to weld steel pipe to aluminum anyways..?? Im not a welder by any means, but i dnt think that you're suposed to be able to do that..?? so seems as how it was all screwd anyways, I figured when in rome.. lol

aparently I can kinda weld aluminum to steel with a mig.. sorta, but not realy..

then made up a sleeve to connect the two halves of the pipe together since there was a massive leak at the hack job connection... shes all nice and tight and sealed now, but I think I'll be needing a new complete exhaust in the next months/weeks/days/ couple hours.. lol

so cheked the valve clearances and the exhaust side stayed put, but the intake side opened up some.. I think Im gona leave the plastics off and run her a bit and re-check it a few times to be sure shes good... besides, make it easier to piddle with the carb...

Intake: .13mm
exhaust: .15mm
adjuster jam nut torqued to 14ft/lbs(20Nm)

and checked my timming and such again, its bang dead perfectly on :D
and plenty of oil made it to the top.. always a good thing!! lol

BeastlyWarrior228 said:
good job, i never cared for holeshots but go for it

hehe, well, they're at my shop already, and they look more or less like the stock ones, the tread pattern is fairly similar, just a hair wider, and a few hairs smaller around overall.

putting them side by side they dont even look noticeably different than the originals size wise.

but I've read that with a 14 tooth sprocket, and 20" tires will place it close to original output ratio/speed at the wheels kinda thing..

Realy just a fluke.. i was thinkin about tires, but wasnt likely to order any, but then these showed up and landed in stock, sooo.. what the hey.. lol

anyways, I think im off to change my oil and go for a ride.. buddies good to go, so I'll have back-up/ride home at least if anything goes amiss.

its gona take me a bit to be comfortable with this thing and not be worried abot it blowing up on me.. lol

dont trust it enough to head out on my own.. but then again, the only way to know is to head on out!!

As promissed.. one pic from out on the trails.. lol

201005091343.jpg

She runs!! And once I got her out n going she doesnt seem to be too overly hot.. I put some premium fuel in her.. dnt know if thats a good or bad idea, but figured it couldnt hurt too much.. lol

so i was going along in 6th, cruising away, and then gave her some more gas.. holy hell!! i was far from maxed out.. lol

however, she stumbles n sputters pretty heavily in the upper rpms.. gonna have to playwith the carb some I suppose...

that, and the bolt for my positive cable fell out... shoulda seen my face when I went to start her back up... at least it was an easy nice simple fix.. lol

gona re-check valves, hopefully they should be good now, change the oil one more time, and put her back togehter in full.. lol

hit a puddle crossing the ditch... aparently, those fenders arent just for looks!!!

BeastlyWarrior228 said:
sweet good job, sounds like your a bit lean though

ya, logicaly thas what I was expecting.. but from what I've read on the jetting/carb threads, it seems to be acting like its rich..

I think Im just gonna put a larger main in, see what it does.. step it up step by step kinda thing.. or maybe I should just jump to the largest and step backwards.. might be safer kinda thing.. lol

apparently as I discovered today, I still have an exhaust leak to deal with before I go nuts with the carb... gona try n just hillbilly patch it for the time being and start hunting for a pipe and header.. thos things near beyond repair aside form rebuilding the whole thing from the canister to the exuast port...

but anyways, the end of the day brings me to this!

201005092008.jpg

wooowhoo!! bout damn time!!!
now its gonna be another day or two before I actualy get a chance to ride her.

still a few things to attend to.. some miniscual wiring issues, my toe/handlebar straightness.. looks like theres suposed to be a lower chain guide where there isnt one.. and maybe a slight re-inforcment of worn motor mount holes on the frame... looks like a new rear sprocket would be a good idea as well.. and heck, since both sprockets will be new, may as well get a chain..

*Sighs*

but for now, shes rideable at least..

and OH!!! my kids Nintendo DS headphones - little cheapy ones that came in a lil kit with screen protectors and stylus's n etc etc.. they fit PERFECT in the little pockets in the helmat.. cant even tell they're there at all! wire tucked up behind the lining and slips out a little gap in the foam.. works perfect!!

so yeah, I ganked my six year olds headphones.. but meh, I bought em for him, he never uses em, and theres like 8 other pairs kicking around he can use.. lol

Back