Rear Banshee shock installation

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries bud, it's what we're here for, and that's what makes this forum such a good one. Everyone is open to new info, and always willing to share what they do know. I honestly haven't been on any other board, other than a gaming board for the guild I was in while I played Everquest, where Everyone was this cool/open about stuff, and able to find exactly what your looking for in a relatively short time span. Even if people on here don't know, if they can help in any way they still will try to do so.
~Bill

Thanks for al the replies guys................
The knob does seem to make a somewhat of a differance its just doesnt see m to be that much of one...........

I can hear more of a differance than I can feel..........

Is it possible that someone evertightened that knob and hurt it somehow?(compression)

IT does feel Liek its doing somthing when ya twist it........It gets progressivly stiffer to turn as ya tighten it.........but i do have 21 clicks intead of 20.

Imtarnished...........So you r saying if the compression knob is doing its job it will slow the decompression a little?

Well I just got down buttoning everything up.....................Then the rains came!!!!
Then the tornado warning..............LOL.

I jsut wanna ride it to see the differance!!!!!!!!!!! : )

sucks about the weather. looks like we are about to get some storms too. got up early and did some morning riding. shock worked great. had to go over some small trees that crossed the trail and went over pretty smooth. hit some jumps and the shock felt great. a few times i was trying to hit a jump and keep the ass end down and ride a wheelie over the top. kept my ass on the seat and accidentally jumped it and didnt even realize it except for the rpms revving up when the wheels came off the ground. if it wasnt for that, i would have thought i stayed on the ground the whole time. all in all, i'm pleased with the shock. i hope yours works out for you.

It seems like it going to be dandy.................

I just wish I knew if the comression knob was completly doing its job.

So you r saying if the compression knob is doing its job it will slow the decompression a little?

Nope, The Compression adj should only work on the compression stroke of the shock shaft. and the Rebound adj should only effect the rebound.
The shock is basically built like a small piston with rings and such. On the compression stroke, it pushes the fluid out of the shock body at a rate which is moderated by the compression adj. knob. the more open you have the knob set, the faster it will compress, but it will not effect the rebound (the decompression).
To effect the rebound (decompression) is by adjusting the rebound knob. which will make it set back to it's rest state or normal ride height with you on it.

If the compression, and rebound isn't working as well as you feel it should, especially with an aftermarket shock, then have it rebuilt.
I suggest you bring your quad to a shop that DOESN'T rebuild shocks, so you don't get a biased oppinion, and so they aren't just trying to sell you the rebuild. Have them check it out with the adjustments, If you bring it to someone who deals with a decent amount of yamaha's they should be able to compare it by feel to a banshee's stock rear, and let you know if it needs a rebuild based off of that.

On a side note, if you have any bicycle shops near you that have any relatively high end full suspension mountain bikes. go in there,and ask them if you can feel how the rebound, and compression of the rear shock work seperately. adjust one to fully closed then push down on the seat with your ribcage/stomach with your hand over the seat. using your body weight like that you can feel it a lot easier then sitting on it then trying to get off to feel it come back up. With the bike being smaller, and easier to adjust, you should be able to get a good feel for compress, and rebound working at different levels of adjustment.
~Bill

It seems like it going to be dandy.................

I just wish I knew if the comression knob was completly doing its job.
the only way you'll be able to see that is if you set it to fully open (compression knob at it's proverbial "0") and push it down by the grab bar, you shouldn't hear the squish, or shoosh sound you do when it's closed for the most part. Other than the sound, it should, when open, compress at a regular/fast pace. And with the knob turned to mostly closed, you should hear that sound, and if should compress much slower, you should be able to hold your weight on the rear grab bar for a little bit longer while trying to bottom out the shock. Or it shouldn't bottom out while you jurch forward on the rear grab bar by the time your feet hit the ground if youput all your weight on it.
~Bill

Well from what you described its all working well.

The compression knob does do somthing ,,,,but its no where near as radical as the decopression.............you can adjust that to the point of almost no return.........Well really slow return.

It may just be that I ever played with one of these shocks..........I know the compression does a little somthin...........But it just doesnt seem to be doin as much as it should for a 20 click adjustment........It does add more force to a quick push. I just dont feel its making that much of a differance..........

Some one stated earlier it makes a huge diff. . I just dont feel a huge differance so I'm concerned.........

If this compression knob adjusts like the decompression knob in a 20 click range.........Mines broke. Are your adjustmentss comparable to each other in clicks?

WHen I get a chance I think I'll swing by the dealer and bounce on some quads with an compression adjustment,,,,,,,,,,,, : )

I'm not going to be able to help you out as far as how my shock acts, considering I still have stock suspension. I was giving you that info on what I know about suspension, and how they act/react to input and adjustments made to effect the output. If I had a bashee rear shock, I'd be able to walk you through the, how it feels part. But since I don't I can't.
If you would like to send me your ohlins, and you can pick up a stock one I'll be just fine with that, Hell send me a stock banshee one, then we can continue the evaluation about it ;D j/p.

Sorry I can't help you out with what it's supposed to feel like seeing as how I haven't handled a banshee rear shock yet.
But since you don't have anything to compare it to, call around see hwo has a left over banshee in stock, and go check that one out since the rear shock you bought is supposed to be an upgrade from that specific shock.
~Bill

Well I was just out playen again...............I was feeling the adjustment know more closely.

I figured if someone already over tightened and hurt it what more can I do to it if I do it.
So I gave it a little more effort than maybe I should have, But no t to much and low and behold..........It has a total adjustment of 24 positions. It stops dead on the last one.
To get it to move took a little more than all the rest but it feels fine and normal and it has a deffinate stopper ya can feel , so I didnt hurt it.............

The couple extras at the end really made it more noticable..............

It's still not a huge differance. But then again when ya ride it it might be..............If the rain here ever stops!!!!!!!!

I guess really pushen on the bar isnt like hit a bump at 30 or even 20 MPH ......It does way 400 plus rider ,plus an impact that probabbly pushes it up to god only knows how much force.........

So I guess I'm sayen is how much compression can ya actually feel? I mean if its huge ( by pushen on bar) It probbably be enough to toss ya over the bars...... ? Or basically maje it feel like there is no shock.

I'm still welcome to input on this...........I still wanna know for sure : )

Well there are 2 points that are raised in that comment you left:
A: what was the shock valved for rider weight wise?
B: pushing on the rear shock is a slower more gradual compression then hitting a whoop, or landing on a jump.

So It may be valved for a lighter rider, or it may be in need of a rebuild since it is only really noticable at the very end of the adj. spectrum.
If it doesn't need one, then try hitting some rolling whoops in your woods, I know there are some, they are ALL over the place, just hit them a little quicker them normal, and see if it wants to ride across the top.
**Important**
Don't just go nail the first set you see, try them at your normal pace, or a little slower, then build up a little speed, and get used to it, and try messing around w/ the shock. It will feel differently then your old one going over stuff like that because it's a newer/completely different shock, and not set the same as your stocker. How it may feel differentely is dependant on how the shock is set when you hit them. It may feel completely off,an you may lose your feel for your quad, that's why you don't want to just nail them, try it slow, then adjust the shock as you see fit. Try to feel how it compresses, to follow the face of the whoop, and how it rebounds/decompresses to track along the ground in the middle of 2 crests of the whoops. If it doesn't drop all the way down into the trough as you are carrying decent speed, then you should be able to skitter across the top. (ohh btw, a steering stabalizer will make doing this Much easier.)

Keep this in mind, it's from 20Warrior01's post in another thread:

Quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS, here is what the guy that i bought the shock had to say about the settings. i thought i would pass it along.........

SORRY FOR THE DELY..........took kids to carnival.... The rebound is the star wheel at the base of the shock. turn wheel clockwise till it stops then back it out 12 clicks for standard setting there will be two marks(arrows) that will line up when standard is set . yOU CAN GO +/- ABOUT 6 CLICKS FROM THERE FOR PERSONAL PREFERENCE. clockwise will increase the damping. never more than 20 clicks out from fully in. I got info from the banshee bible... If you don't have a service manual It will be one of your better investments to maintaining your quad. They are very informative and even tell you which bolts to remove first when maintaining the shock to ease its removal... Hope that helps and e-mail me if you need more info..................Paul

i havent tried to tweak mine yet. i'll do that once i'm able to hit the trails. the only thing i have messed with is the knob on the side of the piggyback. let me know if any of that info helps.

Judging by that I think you may need a rebuild since your adjustments seem to make the most changes at the Very end of the turn, not in the middle. With yours it sounds like it's not doing much at all there.
~Bill

Well the decompression is as normal as my stock shock was. It may even go to a stronger decompress......... Even on that one the few tightest clicks always seemed to make more of a differance tha all the rest. So I dunno.......... i thought I read somewhere the compression settings on a Ohlins has 25 clicks but I'm not sure I'll look more later.

I'm hopen to get it out tommorrow..........

No problem man.

For whoever else, there's a banshee rear shock selling for $88 on ebay If your interested don't forget to ask him a bunch of questions about it's condition, remember it's used...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yamaha-350-banshee-stock-rear-shock-works-great-97_W0QQitemZ150014458106QQihZ005QQcategoryZ43972QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
And the current bid on this (when I posted it) is $26.00.
Though I don't like the look of it being ground away on the one corner of the ressie.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YZF350-BANSHEE-1998-PARTING-OUT-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER_W0QQitemZ220009943796QQihZ012QQcategoryZ43974QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AH HA, I found it, there is a High Speed, and a Low Speed compression damping settings on your shock, and they are set independantly. check this out for tuning.
http://www.damper.se/Portals/0/documents/manuals/07235-01.pdf
That should help a bit, I'll keep reading see if anything about trouble shooting shows up.
~Bill

thanks for posting that link. even though i dont have the ohlins, it is still useful.

Ya that a interesting doc.

My shock doesnt have the dual adjustment,just the knob..........

I'm gonna get out for a ride today and see how it does.

hmm, it looks like on the stock shocks, the high speed, and low speed adj.'s are on the bottom of the ressie. check yours out around there see if anything is there.
~Bill

I'll check it now...............I really wanted to get out today on it , but it didtn happen.
Between the rain and the migrane from hell its been a BAD day.

Latest posts

Back