Rear Banshee shock installation

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I,m hopen not...........I own a 87. The from end seems heavier on them than later model.
I'm hopen to beable to smooth out the ass end more with it. It gets bouncy quite easily.

sweet, 660 rears are selling for around $100 or so, give or take $20. And you were able to grab an Ohlins for $151, Very nice. It should fit just as the stock banshee shock fit. But don't forget one big thing... It's an Ohlins! lol gratz man, hope it works out well for you.

Which would you rather do, spend $110 for a STOCK rear shock or for $40-90 more get an Ohlins, Elka, Pep. Think about it, there is Lot more available if your just willing to be a little patient now...
~Bill

Heres a question.........Does the banshee shock change your ride hieght?
Or is it the same lenght as the warriors?

ok, no one yell here, but what is the diffrence between the warrior shock and the banshee / 660 shock. on paper its all the same or am i missing something (the only diffrence i see is the resevoir is mounted on the shock, not on frame). please some one fill me in iv been watching the forum for a while and dont get it.

steve

The 660 shock is valved differently, and is a little longer, but it offers a Much smoother ride, and is Much more resistant to bottoming out.
The Banshee shock I Believe is the same length (not definate) But it's rebound, and compression are both adjustable, along with the threaded collar to adjust the ride stiffness, for heavier/lighter riders. With the banshee shock, there is also Many more available, so they should be cheaper. And going back to the compression, and rebound adj. you can make it tailor fit for your riding style/conditions. Set them both a touch slower, and it should make traversing whoops easier, since the rear won't want to expand fast enough to make the rear tires lose contact with the ground. Along those lines, if you carry enough speed to skitter across the top of the whoops, the rear axle won't have a quick enough rebound to dip into the valley's and then compress on the crest of a whoop and kick you over the front end.
Other than what I listed for the 660 shock, I don't know of any other benefits to that one over the bashee shock. If i'm not stating something about the 660 rear, please tell me.
~Bill

OK I put my shock on today..........I didnt finish the air box mod yet.

But I had to bounce it around to see if the adjustments worked.........LOL
Ok , the rebound works really well. As for the compression adjustment......U can tell it does a little somthin but it isnt no where near as drastic as the compression adjustment.
It's almost hard to tell if its doing much at all.
Is this normal for the Banshee compression adjsutment ?

if you are talking about the knob near the rezzie, i notice a HUGE difference between all the way soft and all the way hard.

Hmmmmmmmmm ...............I'm going to check it again.
Its not as huge as the bottom knob is it?

Mine seems to make a total differance as if ya adjust the lower knob from nothing to a few clicks.......

What settings ar eyou running as for clicks? Do they effect each other?

Now I'm wondering if mine is broken.

the knob on the bottom of my shock is adjusted out quite a bit. i thought that i screwed it all the way in and then i went out 10 and the rebound was extremely slow. did another 10 and was still slow. then i went out about another 7 and is just right. on the smaller knob on the side of the shock, i have it set right in the middle at 10. you can only get 20 clicks on that one.

Ya i have mine out on rebound quite a bit also...........

It seems as though I can only adjust my compression to be about the same as the rebound.
Maybe a hair stiffer............ I dunno about on a high rebound setting

Theres really a huge diffeance on the compression knob........Alot more thna I described?
Can you adjust your compression to be way mopre than your rebound ? ( not that ya'd wanna )

Right now i have my compression right on the full, although i was running it fully soft, never bottomed it but it was a little to mooshy for my tastes haha. The rebound im not sure im maybe like 5-10 clicks more never kept track.

i started out with my compression totally soft. i'm not sure if it bottomed out or not, but i went over a log and it felt like i broke my spine whenever the rear wheels hit the ground. i was sitting when the ass end hit the ground though. that was when i changed it to 10 clicks. i've only ridden on it once so i'm gonna try and tweak it tomorrow morning when we go riding. hopefully i'll be able to hit some jumps to really test it out.

Well i assume if you can run compression on full.........it doesnt get wayyyyyyyyy stiff?
I'm just talken when ya grab the pull bar and push.........it does get stifferr Just not a whole lot.

I just wanna make sure mine is ok, I dont know anyone who has one to compare it to.
So any description ya can give on the changes the knob makes is greatly appreciated!

you were the one that got an ohlins right? look at it this way, even if it is shot, you could get it rebuilt and would still be way ahead. i dont know if this would be able to tell you anything, but i could adjust mine all the way both ways and push down on it and have my dad watching a tape measure to see the difference. if anyone out there has some sort of a test that we could both do to compare the two, let us know.

yeah its the ohlins...........

I dont think pushing on it and measureing it would work.........
The compression adjustment just slows the travel of the shock like the rebound I would assume?

The shock itself looks just liked the guy described...........Mint. Supposently had 15 easy hours on it..................who knows. I never blew out aa rear shock...........all else seems fine with it.
By the way,I have 21 clicks on my compression adjustment .

I have to go from 21 to none to notice not a whole lot of differance wwhile pushing the rear up and down.........but there is a differance. Just know where near as drastic as the rebound adjsutment................maybe as much as the first 4 to 5 clicks that actuall start to do anyhting. On the rebound as a comparison...........

Maybew it'll be differant when i get to ride it?

Do you feel a great differance when bouncing the rear of your quad?

I'm wishwn I had one to compare it toooo LOL

If the shock was blown it would have a pogostick effect haha. The comp adjustment on soft lets the shock compress faster, on hard it cant compress as fast, and i can feel a diffrence between fully hard and fully soft.

sounds like mine is just the opposite. i have to adjust my rebound way out to notice anything and with the compression i can tell a pretty big difference just between a few clicks.

i wasnt sure if pushing down on it with it set both ways would be a way to tell or not. i just know when i have mine to the hardest setting, when i run through the gears, the ass end hardly goes down and when set to soft, it crouches down like somethin fierce. i have never messed with rear shocks until now because my old one was shot.

If the shock was blown it would have a pogostick effect haha. The comp adjustment on soft lets the shock compress faster, on hard it cant compress as fast, and i can feel a diffrence between fully hard and fully soft.

Exactly, sorry it took me so long to get back in here, had a long day...

The compression adjustment won't make it harder to compress, it will make it compress more slowly. If you want it harder to compress you have to thread the collar further down the shock itself and compress the coil more. The rebound will make it expand faster/slower, and shouldn't have any bearing on the compression. If you want to see your compression adjustment working, set it to fully slowed, compress the rear shock, then let go of the rear end completely, you should see it rise to it's normal rest height slower then when it's at Fully open.

The easiest way I can describe how it works is think of the pupil in someones eye, when it's brighter out the pupil closes, therefore allowing Less light in, and when it's darker, the pupil get's larger allowing more available light to pass. Same basic thing with the suspension, with the compression adj knob dialed stiffer, it makes the oriface inside smaller so the fluid can pass through at a much slower rate, therefore slowing down the compression stroke. But since there are one-way valve's inside the lines into the ressie the fluid is directional. Which forces the fluid then through the rebound oriface which is controlled by the rebound adj knob, which works in similiar fashion.

Hope that helps a little. If you have any more Q's I'll be here. If I can help I'll do so.

Warrior 350x: Normally we take short stints in Pic. If we travel, then we either head to chatsworth for the OHV park, and some other places. We're thinking of heading out to a new place to see what it's like soon, get in touch via PM, so no lurkers get info on the places, and they don't get blown out :p
~Bill

imtarnished, thanks for explaining that for me. makes more sense now that i know the mechanics behind the effect.

Latest posts

Back