yz490

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id say its gonna take some work getting everything lined up....cool project but its going to be some time

yeah..i havent done it yet but i hear that alot of peaple do it with warrior frames so must be the warrior frame is the easiet to mount it in..i heard the hardest part was routing a pipe..

i guess i grew out of the warrior stages but i cant see why to put a 490 motor in a warrior frame. the frame imo cant keep up with the newer tech stuff.

daves bike is still a warrior motor....imo it still complements the frame with where the power rolls on. to put a high revving dirtbike motor thats bored out in the frame seems a little too extreme for me but im sure it will turn out sick if you do it.

just not sure if you'll be happy with the long term fact of having a warrior frame to corner and pound on.

again- im not putting you down or anything... i would love to see this done. just make sure your goin to be happy for a while ;)

yeah im talking about a yz490 two-stroke..alot of people that have done hybrid warrior's have put that engine in it...so it cant be to bad..it would be an awesome wheelie machine

If your going hybrid just gusset the frame and you should have no problems. guys build super high hp motors in banshees all the time and banshee frames aren't much stronger than a warrior.

yeah routing a pipe is gunna be a bitch..you have to cut the front fender so that bug ass 2-stroke pipe will fit..i have seen rm250 engines in them to...but thats just like having a 250r warrior..so i would rather have a yz490..i really wanna try to do once i get another quad so i can still ride..

Yeah it's a good choice because your not obligated to fit the radiator and cooling system in. It would be awsome to see someone put a CR500 motor in a Warrior though.

I saw a 400ex chassy with a CR500 motor go for sale on ebay. It was a sweet looking quad and I bet it had a ton of power, only sold for like 2,500 too!

Keep in mind that the 490 is not a counterbalanced engine. I dont know what it will be like in a warrior frame but in a blaster frame it vibrates the hell out of you and your hands start to fall asleep after 10 minutes or so of riding. As for frames that the 490 fits into the easiest, Blaster frames are almost a direct drop in. you just have to relocate 2 engine mounts. Personally I would look into dropping in a R5-350twin, RD350twin, or a RD400twin. They are aircooled so no radiator, all have **** loads of power, very little vibration, and the exhaut ports are down low so it easy to run exhaust. I had the R5-350twin in my old Blaster and that thing screamed like a raped ape.
Just my $0.02

Keep in mind that the 490 is not a counterbalanced engine. I dont know what it will be like in a warrior frame but in a blaster frame it vibrates the hell out of you and your hands start to fall asleep after 10 minutes or so of riding. As for frames that the 490 fits into the easiest, Blaster frames are almost a direct drop in. you just have to relocate 2 engine mounts. Personally I would look into dropping in a R5-350twin, RD350twin, or a RD400twin. They are aircooled so no radiator, all have **** loads of power, very little vibration, and the exhaut ports are down low so it easy to run exhaust. I had the R5-350twin in my old Blaster and that thing screamed like a raped ape.
Just my $0.02

490 is a much more friendly atv motor..

All the RD motors have no bottom end what so ever and you have to rev the hell out of them to get them to move.

The 490 on the other hand has gobs of torque. It would be a much better motor IMO

[quote:tp2z2q27]Keep in mind that the 490 is not a counterbalanced engine. I dont know what it will be like in a warrior frame but in a blaster frame it vibrates the hell out of you and your hands start to fall asleep after 10 minutes or so of riding. As for frames that the 490 fits into the easiest, Blaster frames are almost a direct drop in. you just have to relocate 2 engine mounts. Personally I would look into dropping in a R5-350twin, RD350twin, or a RD400twin. They are aircooled so no radiator, all have **** loads of power, very little vibration, and the exhaut ports are down low so it easy to run exhaust. I had the R5-350twin in my old Blaster and that thing screamed like a raped ape.
Just my $0.02

490 is a much more friendly atv motor..

All the RD motors have no bottom end what so ever and you have to rev the hell out of them to get them to move.

The 490 on the other hand has gobs of torque. It would be a much better motor IMO[/quote:tp2z2q27]

My R5-350twin that I had in my blaster, which was the non reed father engine to the RD, had gobs of bottom end. It all depends on the pipes you use. If you use the stock pipes from the motorcycle you have no power except on the top. If you use the race pipes that had those tiny expansion chambers you still had no low end but gained mid-top end. My pipe was a 2 into 1 that I made out of a FMF fatty. The 2 into 1 gave me a **** load of low end power, great mid and decent top end. It never dropped off on the top just evened out.
The 490 is a good engine, its just a vibrating son of a gun in a quad frame. Every quad I have ridden that had a 490 in it was like that. Thats why I went with the 350 twin instead.
just my $0.03

Yes they were known for vibration. But my dad owned one and it wasnt bad enough that you couldnt ride it all day.

Back