Your thoughts?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamexileracing

Reaction score
K well im rebuilding my 1999 engine and i was wondering if i should do a .20 overbore and high compression piston. Or just go stock. If i do that what kind of gas would i have to run, someone said i would have to run race fuel, and how much more would it be then regular gas? Also how much HP would i be looking at if i get that piston?
Thanks

I have the Wiseco 10.25:1 piston. I paid 99 bucks(cdn), and it makes a nice difference. Engine revs up quicker and is more responsive. I use Premium 91 or Sunoco 94 fuel with no issues. Generally you only need race fuel if you are running 14:1 and up. Even the stroked rappy guys from bluetraxx are only running premium fuel with compression ratios in the 12's.

As long as you stay at or under 11:1 compression you can run 93 octane pump gas. When the ratio gets to 12:1 or higher you'll have to start mixing higher octane gas which is a pain in the ass and can get expensive.

It's hard to say how much of an overbore you should do until you have it apart, but .20 over sounds like a good plan. With 8 years on that build, you wouldn't want to try re-using the stock bore.

Getting the gas shouldnt be a problem for me i can get 93 anywhere around here.

Now heres the thing about the engine. It is a 99 and it broke 2 years ago, the guy never loosend the timing chain from when he did somthing and it was way too tight. Anyways he ran it up and down the street a couple of times and when he turned it off all he herd was a big snap. He took apart the top end and found the sproket from the cam riped off and sitting down in the engine. Its been stitting for two years and i havent torn into it yet. Im going to tomarrow, so really i dont no whats wrong with it yet. There might be more.

But im getting that piston and rings and stuff. I also need a new cam what should i get webcam, hotcams, ?.
Thanks

K all i can find on ebay for a warrior is a white brothers cam and a bunch of hotcam. I herd hotcams are a joke, and i herd webcams are good, i havent herd anything about the white bros cam. I can get it for $88 is that a good price for a white brothers cam? What are the pros and cons of the white brothers cam, better then hotcams and webcams?

Trying to get into racing xc and im looking for that extra push of power to beat out the other 350's, How is this set up going to treat me, will i be able to beat out some 400's? O this may sound retarded but if i do the .20 over bore will they make me go up a class for being over the 350 mark, or could i just go by with out them knowing?

Thanks

I believe the White Brothers cam is just a re-branded Webcam. I'm not sure what grind it would be though, that's where the big difference lies. It's probably just a .390, which will give you torque, but that's not what you need for racing, you'd be better off with a .430. Keep in mind though that on top of whatever you pay for the cam, you'll also have to get stiffer valve springs too for anything other than a hotcam, which is a mild piece of crap.

And with a .20 overbore, that puts you to like 2 - 4 cc's bigger than stock. They're not going to put you in a different class for being 2 cc's over the 350 mark.

With the right cam, a high compression piston, a good exhaust, open airbox with a clamp-on filter, and the jetting dialed in good you should be able to take a 400ex, at least a stock or piped one. Not sure about the z400 with that, it would probably be close enough that it would come down to rider skill.

I've said this once before and I'll say it again. I DNF at a local race and a guy with a Z400 broke a tie rod and was gonna DNF also. He asked if he could use my bike to finish the race on. He ran two laps with mine and turned in much better times per lap than he did on his bike. Take it for what it's worth, but in the woods it's all the same. If you're a good rider, you're going to do well no matter what you're on. In other words, those mods will make it that much easier to keep up with the 400s and 450s or be ahead of them if you can ride.

Weisco 10:25.1 is the cheapest higher compression piston to go with. If you have a good exhaust, and jet it properly it should make 26HP "RW", a good cam will put you around 28. Def go with a .5mm overbore at least just to clean things up, unless your bore is way outa round, then go the full 1mm.

i already decided im going with the weisco .20 10.25:1 compression piston becuase its cheap and i dont want to go too high becuase how i ride i will most likly **** it up and have to bore it out higher, and i dont want to have to buy a new head. I think i might be getting the white bros cam, what else do i need to get with it? I have a hmf slip on and im getting a power bomb header. I might also be getting a white brothers carb or a edlebrock it depends if i have the money or not. I know im not going to be able go with no lid, i have to have one for my riding, i love the mud and the water you cant keep me out of it. Do i have to take off my lid with all of this stuff, is there a way around it?

What do you ride in that you think you absolutely need the airbox lid? I ride in my share of water and mud with an open airbox. All you need is a good clamp-on k&n with an outerwears unless you're going through water so high that it is actually going to flood the airbox and not just splash in. You will get a big difference running with the lid off. With the other mods your getting you'll probably get another 3-4 hp out of it simply because the stock airbox setup is a really poor design. It's a lot more restrictive than it may appear. It also makes your throttle response that much quicker when you get rid of the lid and snorkel tube. The same subject got brought up in 98warrior's post down in the "other quads" section if you want to read through it.
http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=photosimages&action=display&thread=1172183044

o ok well i guess i dont need it then.

I still have the question of what else will i need to get if i get that white brothers cam to get the best performance out of it?

k well im going to take apart the engine and lets hope its nothing more then a broken cam and a new top end. Beucae i dont have the money for this **** right now :mad:. But i got the backup engine on the bike which if for sale at the time if anyone is interested. Wish me luck :)

If that cam broke while the engine was running you might as well order some new valves and guides too. You'd have to be REAL lucky to get away without bent valves.

o ok well i guess i dont need it then.

I still have the question of what else will i need to get if i get that white brothers cam to get the best performance out of it?

I'd kinda recommend you get a web or megacycle cam, I got the megacycle 252X1 and it's big. A web is just as good, but also upgrade to kibble white valve springs, and if you don't have em yet get HD clutch springs. I recommed the edelbrock but if money is an issue just stay with the stocker until you have the money. Sounds to me like you broke the little tit offf the cam and the sproket spun, hopefully you don't have any valve/pistion issues. You could get new valves for like $34 each from Web cams. Nows a good time to have the seats cut and new guides installed also. Have fun.

Also, Something I notice that others haven't hit on yet. You mention you'd like to pick up the FMF Head pipe, If you don't buy that, since the stock head pipe actually flows pretty well, you should have the scratch for the edelbrock, which will yeild a Much better return for your money vs. the headpipe.
~Bill

thanks every body but i tore it apart today and im just going to get the stock cam. Ever thing looked good we found all the broken off parts, but the guy im working with said it wouldnt be a good idea to put to much money into it right now untill you know it runs good. So im going to hold off on the upgraded parts untill i find out if the engine runs good or not with all the stock parts in it.

Thanks for everyones thoughts.

Back