Wolverine or Rancher 420 4x4 5 Speed

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsd250x

Reaction score
Hi all, I have long since graduated from the 250X and Warrior and now ride my second 400EX with Reverse, Holeshot 22" rears, 23" fronts, dropped the front sprocket one tooth to regain factory ratio, and full skids. I am having trouble deciding on my next purchase and have narrowed my choices down to Wolvy 350 or Rancher. I am 5'8" 220 and have ridden many Honda ATC's and ATV's with a few Yami and Suzuki sprinkled in over the past 22 years. The trails we ride are generally tight, hilly and very rocky. During the winters in the deeper snow, the 400ex does okay; and I can get through most stuff the Rincon and Timberwolf 4x4 go through on our trails. But, I am looking to get a 4x4 for the really nasty stuff I am going to start riding and need more ground clearance than I have with the 400ex. The swing skid plate is taking quite a beating. Here's a little about my preferences: I hate the feel of the Rincon. It's so heavy and large, it is down right dangerous taking it down some of the hills we ride. Something that big is just not an option. Sometimes, the owner gets off of it and walks the Rincon down the steep, uneven and rocky hills. I am also not looking to spend 7K on a new Rincon. Preferably about 3500 tops on a Wolvy. More preferably, 2500. I have ridden the Timberwolf 4x4 which is bulletproof, but looking for a bit more suspension, top speed and power. I rode an 05 Wolvy recently and liked it. There are some great deals and financing on new Rancher 420cc, 5 speed semi auto, EFI and factory 2x4 switch. I know about the Warn 424 for Wolvy, but I am not installing myself. I am not a huge jumper, at least I won't be on the 4x4 and I am looking for long term reliability, usability and versatility and fun. Yard work is way down on my priority list. I consider Yamaha and Honda equivalent in reliability. Reviews on the Rancher are good, but my guess is the Wolvy even in 4x4 will be considerably lighter and more tossable. I haven't ridden the Rancher, but it seems closer to the Wolvy than the Rincon to me. Does anyone disagree? I can squeeze the Wolvy into the shed rather than the more valuable garage space. I am looking for people who have ridden both and could give guidance especially on the price difference on a nice used Wolvy that would make it a better value than an 08 Rancher. I am partial to all Honda products and would be just as confident buying a Yamaha, but I am not considering any ATV's with CVT's or anything made by any other manufacturer. In the event that this has been already covered, my apologies, perhaps you can point me to the thread. Hope everyone has a great Halloween and holiday season. If you want to ride bright an early before the Cowboys on Thanksgiving and live in northern NJ, let me know.

If you shop around & stick with your $3500 tops price range, you can't go wrong on a great condition Wolvy 2005 or older. A Warn unlocker is a must for you & is worth the cost for this model. My 1998 is no torque monster but halls my 220lb. fat azz around just nicely. Considering new? Would definetly try a Honda 420 for a test. Semi auto, EFI, 4x4 selectable,water cooled, waranty. I think the electric shift upgrades to a instrument pod however my pal's e-shift will "fault", & think it needs new module. Keep it simple with the semi-auto & ride it like you stole it.
It would be interesting if you tried the new yamaha auto against the Honda semi-auto & let us know what you think. Anyone else----??

Thanks Rods

Really like the 05 Wolvy and will probably pick one up this weekend. Aside from engine and gear oil changes, any TLC you suggest before I take it out?

Nothing more than what you are used to-fuel, air filter etc..etc..Maybe you will be able to post some pics when you get your new ride. I havent posted pics only because I am digital technology impared. Maybe I will get my six year old to upload my Wolvy pictures. Hunting season has me shut down from riding right now. The forum has a treasure trove of excellant info for you to draw from. Have fun and welcome to the club!

Rods:

Thanks for the response and the warm welcome. Believe it or not, the deer and turkey are everywhere in northern NJ - 13 miles west of the Lincoln Tunnel!!

I took a radical turn and went with a new 700xx for a GREAT price on Sat. I decided fuel injection, water cooling, independent rear suspension, bigger engine, real clutch, 12 month warranty and 'new' factor was worth a bit more $$, and would provide enough enjoyment to compensate for the lack of 4x4. I suspect the stock tires will be useless in snow, but we'll see. Also, I couldn't believe 700xx is only 46 inches wide, giving me over an inch on each side to squeeze through the shed. Funny, Honda press says the 700xx is going after utility riders, and mentioned the Wolverine specifically. I guess this disqualifies me from Woodwarrior.com. However, I am still going to post some pics of the new ride as well as my impressions on this decision.

RADICAL--WOW--you doubled you'r $3500 tops price range! I think you will do just fine in the snow & muck. My riding pal put some Maxis Sure Trac tires on the drive of his KFX 400 & I was shocked at the places he could go. You got 10.5" of ground clearance to help & plenty of steam for a head start on those holes. Half the time he just pours the coal to it & chaws his way threw stuff. Looks like it may have radials on it?? Maybe you could up to a 25" tire on new rims then switch them back to originals in the summer? However a larger, heavier more agressive tire may cause a clutch issue. Looks like a nice bike.
I don't care what you ride, stick around & b.s. nobody else seems to be.

Thanks pal. When it goes through, I will let you know exactly how GREAT a deal it was. Not even close to double! Looking forward to feeling the torque.

Have a great day,

Ben

OMG!

It is going to take a while to get used to the speed. What a major difference from the 400EX. It hasn't been in the woods yet, but looking forward to it.

Back