Wolverine 450 complete power loss at 43 mph after clutch kit

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostbite

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm miffed! I installed the Fixx Powersports Wolverine 450 clutch/carb kit offered on E bay. Yes, it does pull harder in the mid range but the engine seems to use a BUNCH more RPM in doing so. Now it pulls pretty good to about 43 mph and then I hear an engine miss and a backfire and I lose all power. It sure seems like I'm hitting the rev limiter. I may very well be hitting the rev limiter but I'm not entirely sure.
I swapped out the K&N filter and put the stock one back in (interestingly the ATV seems to pull harder with the stock filter). I bumper up my main jet from the stock 131.3 to a 135 and it didn't help a bit. I raised the needle and it seemed to pul harder in the mid range but it didn't help the top end problem.
To complicate issues I have a GYT pipe arriving on Monday.

Does it sound like the rev limiter to you guys and does anyone make a performance CDI box or a rev limiter bypass (or something that allows adjustment) for the wolverine 450?

Thanks guys

Frostbite

pull your drain for the clutch housing, see if there is any oil in there. If so you need to see if you have diluted the grease in the primary clutch assembly(where the rollers are located)

sorry to add to this post but as of this moment noone makes a performance CDI unit for the wolverine.

Thanks for the repsonse, I'll check. I have called 15 places today to ask about a CDI box for the Wolverine 450. Dynatech was the only one that really showed any promise. Basically, it sounds like it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. We all need to bombard these guys with phone calls and tell them to make us a CDI box and I think they will.

I found I basically need heavier rollers. This will speed the shift up but lower the top RPM slightly (where I'm having issues).

Frostbite

I have some heavier rollers from the 660 Grizzly coming. I was going to get the 700 Grizzly rollers but they are twice as heavy as the 450 rollers, hence the 660 rollers.
What I plan to try first is to use 4 of the stock rollers and four of the 660 rollers equally positioned in the primary clutch. This should bring my shift speed (top RPM) down but increase the speed of the shift out (make it more aggressive on the bottom end). I'll let you know how it all works out.

PS: I put my GYTR pipe on last evening and now the Wolverine has a nasty bark! I like it! (so far).

Frostbite

I find this amusing.

Lots of 700 Grizz owners, myself included, are going to a combination of 4 - 450 Kodiak along w/ 4 - 660 Grizzly weights. That gives more grunt on low end w/ bigger tires and/or higher elevation.

Dalton makes a kit for the 700 that is basically this same thing...only about $50-$60 more!!!

I've not ridden my 700 since I changed the rollers so I can't somment on their effectiveness.

I would not think that heavier rollers would help your situation. Are you thinking that the different wiehgts will allow the belt to ride higher in the primary sheave? I don't think that's going to happen,tho' I could be wrong!

I did try the Wolverine with 4 660 rollers and then all 660 rollers. It seems a lot more sluggish with the heavier weights. The combination of 4 Wolverine and 4 660 Grizzly seems pretty good too.

It didn't fix my problem though. I was still hitting the rev limiter (if that's what''s going on) at about 47 mph indicated. I am going to try taking the stiffer coil springs out and use the stock springs and play with the rollers to see if I can get a little more top end.

I also went from the 131.5 main jet to a 135, a 138, a 140, 142.5, 145. 148.8 and it still does the same thing and my plug is still white in the electrode area. I don't get it at all.

Frostbite

Back