weird noise when riding

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rylangrant

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm getting a weird noise when riding and I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction as to what I can check but I'll explain the back story.

I was out for a ride the other day going down a grassy trail and I felt the whole bike sink down (suspension pulled down). There wasn't any hole that I drove over so I got off to take a look, turned out there was some old barb wire coiled up in the grass. When I got back on to continue going I realized my shifter was "gone". I got off to look and it turned out that it wasn't gone but I think the barb wire happened to popup and hook it and bent it back under the foot pedal (see the attached picture). It was in 2nd gear and I couldn't move it up or down so I turned around and went home (approx 1km). I took the pedal off and straightened it out and everything is good with that.

After I fixed it, I took it out for a run and after a little while I noticed and intermittent squeek or chirp depending on how you describe it. I've never heard it before so I tried to do some investigating. It's intermittent, when riding its every so often (every 50-75 feet, maybe more), and when turning left it happens a lot more and pretty much non-existent when turning right. I also noticed that when on a hill tilted down to the right it makes the noise more often. It's not a big deal if it isn't anything important it just worries me that it just started happening after this incident with the shifter.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I should check to make sure there isn't any damage done as a result of that barbwire, or if the noise is even associated with that? The noise appears to happen in every gear but only when moving and functionally everything seems to work fine. I lifted it up in the garage the other night and tried to move the front two wheels by hand (there is a warn 4-2-4 on it so it was in 2wd), they moved fine and although I wasn't spinning them too fast. I started and ran the bike while it was off the ground and when I had it in 4wd I could hear the squeek but it was faint and not very often. Could it just be dirt on the brakes or something like that? I just bought it about 4 months ago but previous owner gave me a receipt for work done last year and I believe all of the wheel bearing, boots etc were replaced. Its a 2005 350

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm a newbie, thanks!

Attachments

• 2012-08-29 20.59.39.jpg
    2012-08-29 20.59.39.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back