Warrior bogging problem?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inked_NTSG

Reaction score
Okay first off let me say I have read alot of posts and gathered alot of information and have searched but cant find the exact problem I am having. oh and first post, glad to be apart of the forum.

So I was inquiring about a warrior from a guy and it has an issue of bogging down while (in gear) at mid-high rpm and not gaining speed like its in limp mode.
When in neutral it will rev all the way up with no bogging and sounds great.

Not alot of info but this is what I know:

Yamaha Warrior 350
Jet: not sure if stock or upgraded. (dont want to buy the bike before i have more opinions as to where i dont screw myself over in the long run)
Exhaust: yoshimura
Air Filter: stock not too dirty but not new

Bike starts up idles fine, while in neutral it will rev high no bogging. Once put into gear it bogs at said rpms but does not die, it just stays at that rpm nor does it backfire. I can switch into any gear and it will do the same and it doesnt gain power or acceleration.

To my knowledge I would think off hand it is maybe that it has the wrong size jet (which im unaware of what size it is currently). The guy has told me that he took the carb apart about 10 times and cleaned it had the float set properly, but has no idea about having to size up jets when adding a pipe.

Sorry for the ramble but wanted to give the most info about it. Also I do not have the bike so I cant do any test, just want some opinions and feedbacks on what you may think before i shuffle out some cash.

im going through same problem right now... have a carb rebuild kit on the way but im worried its electrical almost like its not getting spark or running out of gas at high rpm.
Checked
-petcock
-cleaned carb
-adjusted float
-re did spark plug wire connections (coil and plug side)
-cleaaned spark plug
-adjusted valves
-bic pen spring trick

-about to do valve stem trick
-checking grounds today
-about to check oil filter (god i hope its not plugged up)
This thing ran exactly 12 months ago like a champ now its rough and wont go above 80% throttle after the first WOT blip then its like its in safe mode. Carb leaks from vents if i leave petcock on even though needle is clean and so is seat! :confused:

so i done the things i mentioned and no change noticed some metal shavings on the oil filter i just hope its cause of my loose timing chain :( my oil change plug is seized in place so to change the oil i have to tild the quad on its side oh boy.Think ill be going to a mechanic for the first time in my life

What's the plug look like? The plug is always the 1st thing to look at for a bogging issue.

golden brown.A very nice color i know its not that but will buy one when my carb kit arrives tomorrow just to be sure.it was in my bosses barn for almost 12 months. his quad is also having issues and it was in the same place so i guess humidity got to it.

Could be, always keep in mind that today's ethanol fuels have a 60-90 day shelf life so fuel and carb related issues are more relevant now than ever. Ethanol is basically alcohol fuel and just like alcohol it's prone to collecting moisture which causes corrosion 1st and foremost but moisture in fuel also is going to displace good fuel and also cause a lean bog. Very a good clean fuel system, plug and fresh fuel. Also check your intake boot for tears.

ye i just picked up some ethonal treatment and a bunch of stuff for it looks like im doing a rebuild more or less.

Sounds to me like it's the parking brake safety switch causing your problem

Last edited:
damn if that wasnt the worst case of thread jacking ive ever seen.

not thread jacking he has the same problem turned out it was my needle and seat bud fixed it today and my partking break is loose ziptied in front as it has always been

and considering not one of you responded till i did i was trying to help him out by explaining what ive tried sheesh

I'm having the same problem. Carb is BRAND NEW I put on yesterday thinking it was the carb causing the bogging when I hit a bump in 2nd or 3rd and then it catches... Idk what it is!! I cleaned airbox and air filter. All seals are tight all gaskets are good... It's not a carb problem! Someone please help!

I'm having the same problem. Carb is BRAND NEW I put on yesterday thinking it was the carb causing the bogging when I hit a bump in 2nd or 3rd and then it catches... Idk what it is!! I cleaned airbox and air filter. All seals are tight all gaskets are good... It's not a carb problem! Someone please help!
Id check the valve clearances... the "lash" as they call it. Check YouTube how to do this. Then i would raise the needle that goes into the main jet by moving the c-clip down one notch. That gives it more gas under a load. Never had a warrior but most yamaha carbs are pretty much the same unless it's fuel injected. If it bogs more.. raise the needle up one notch from the original setting. Also... could be a clogged exhaust pipe. My son's 1972 yamaha 100 that we rebuilt from bottom up was doing that... would idle fine but under a load it bogged down. Didn't know how to unclog the exhaust pipe on that old bike so I bought a used one. The damn thing took off like a rocket after that.

Amazing! I should have known something was up when it only bogged down after hitting a bump. I just re-read your entire original post now and saw that bit of info. So... the brake was actually being applied by itself at times. Wow! Glad you got it solved!

Latest posts

Back