Starting problem HELP!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswwarrior350

Reaction score
My quad has been starting slower and slower over the past month, to the point that makes it hard to start. Well i figured it was my battery and ill eventually replace it when it runs out. But what i noticed is that the lights didnt dim a whole lot when i was starting it and it seemed like it was fully charged. Well i was testing my quads suspension flex by riding through a washed out creek. Well while testing my ground clearence i got hung up on a log. After trying to break loose without getting off the quad i shut it off to jsut lift it up over the log, well i did taht and when i got back on it to start it it started turning over really really slow to the point where it wasnt turning over at all. All i am getting is one loud click from the cyleniod when i try to start it. Nothing else, if i am correct if the battery was low i would be getting a continous rapid clicking sound.Well i checked the battery and its at full or very close to full charge. So i checked the starter cyleniod i have 2 of tehm that were good. Neither of them fixed the problem, i crossed the poles on on the cylenoid and nothing happened. I am guessing the starter is burned up or something. If i tear apart the starter is there anything i can do to get it start a few more times, or to tell if its the problem for sure. I dont want to buy a new starter if its not the problem. Maybe just clean it with some electrical cleaner or contact cleaner? I want it to run soon, my edelbrock will be hear soon and i want to ride it with it on, i guess i can push start it if i have to. This sucks

Hey congrats on the edelbrock brother; check your wires to make sure one isn’t cut or damaged. If the Starter just doesn’t turn and your battery terminals are nice and tight and the battery is fully charged sad to say but it sounds like a bum starter. When/If you need to replace the starter buy it on ebay they go for about $98.00 - MUCH cheaper then a dealer price.

Yea i went down and messed with it a little more. I turned the motor over normal and it didnt do anything, i turned the motor over backwards and then it turned over a few times then locked again. Im guessing its the bearing in the starter because it makes a rattling noise when it turns over backwards. O well time to save my money up again, with this damn hurricane rain rolling over i havent been working that much. Cant bale hay in the rain which sucks. Just have to put the new pipe off a little longer thats all, at least i got the carb after 3 weeks of work, if it wouldnt rain i could have bought it in 2 weeks easy and had some money to spare. But its all good.

actually they are on sale right now on ebay for a buy it now price of 75 bucks plus 12 dollars shipping. 87 bucks! cheaper than i thought thats for sure. Well ill order that this friday cause i dont get paid till then, the edelbrock wont be here till about next tuesday anyway since i ebay'd it too.

Your battery might actually be shot. The quad would make only one tick when you try to start it, and then the idiot lights would go out. Your battery might seem to be charged, but it just cant crank out the correct amperage. If that doesn't do it try to clean out the starter with contact cleaner and rebuild it. That would be a good idea after riding through a bunch of water.

But i turned the headlights on and it was in neutral and when i go to start it, the lights dont even dim. They are brighter than ever now since i filled the battery up with new acid. The creek wasnt really that wet or muddy, it was pretty much just a little splash or 2 of water. Hmm it has to be the starter, i dont know what else it could be.

tore apart the starter. It was full of black **** and smelled like a mo-fo lol. Well i looked at the brushes at the bottom and tehy looked okay but the end that sits inside the brushes is what is messed up, there are 2 plates or ribs(dont know what they are called) that are burnt off. I guess its time to fork out 87 bucks for a starter. Anyone wanna buy a starter that doesnt work????

I don't think you have to buy a whole starter, just the component that's worn down. On albas OEM partfinder the parts are all sold seperate, and the whole assembly is sold also. I would just replace the brushes that are worn and the bearing if it is shot, save the extra bucks for another mod!!! ;D

Unfortunatly i think the parts i need are going to cost more or about the same as a whole new remanufactored starter. Thanks for the tip though, if i wouldnt have to buy the whole middle assembly then i would be alot better off like you said. Thanks anyway. If i had a digi camera id take some pictures of the messed up peice so you guys knew what i meant. Thanks for help guys. The peice i need is connected to the middle and i dont think they seperate anyway.

Back