Rear brake help needed

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Reaction score
How the heck do you install the boots on the rear caliper slid pin? I fought with those for a good 25 minutes today with no luck. It looks like one part of the boot sits in the notch on the caliper...then once the pin is installed , the boot slides into the indentation on the pin.

I could get the boot installed on the caliper, but when I tried to install the pin, it would pop right out. :x

I really need to get these installed. My new rear pads have two rides on them....toasted...right down to the back plate. :roll:

Cant really help with the boots and all.

But what kind of brakes do you have in the rear? I put a new set of EBC HEavy duty's in the rear, and they lasted just over the winter , was not really impressed at all.

I replaced the brake pads on my Wolverine two years ago. The details are a little fuzzy in my mind but I do remember those little boots. If I remember correctly, I put the boots and the slid pin back. Then I used the pin to compress the boots. Once compressed, I used my fingers to rotate the boots and they fell back in place quite easily. I hope it helps.

Thanks Steve...I'll be playing around with those this weekend. If you hear someone swearing all the way up in Canada, it may be me. :lol:

With the assistance of some angled pick tools (they look like a dentist's pick, but with a larger handle) I got the rear slider boots in...and greased the slider.

I put new pads in all around. Again, the factory is stingy with the grease. My right front slider was a bit bound up. After freeing it up, I applied some BelRay waterproof grease. I did the same for the left side as well.

i do the same thing whenever I do a brake job on a car, always grease the slider pins.

Considering all the crud our ATV brakes are exposed to, a littl extra grease can go a long way.

Remember those rear pads I installed? Down to the backer plate already. I'm really confused here. I don't even use the back brakes all that much.

I guess I should check to make sure the E-Brake mechanism isn't somehow causing the caliper to drag.

Yep. I deleted the E-brake and still had issues. It wasn't until I replaced the caliper with one that had a block off plate that my rear premature pad wear went away. I believe the caliper was from a z400 and bolted right on.

Hi Glenn

I'm having the same problem. How the heck to get the boots and pin in at the same time. So did you put the boots on first and then slide the pin through them or did you put the pin in and then try to get the boots on? This is a real B****!

Thanks

Bill

Glenn said:
With the assistance of some angled pick tools (they look like a dentist's pick, but with a larger handle) I got the rear slider boots in...and greased the slider.

I put new pads in all around. Again, the factory is stingy with the grease. My right front slider was a bit bound up. After freeing it up, I applied some BelRay waterproof grease. I did the same for the left side as well.

Bill,
Basically, that's what I did. I put the boot in the caliper and used an angle pick to secure the boot to the caliper....via that little indentation in the calliper. A little greast on the inside of the boot helped the pin slide through without grabbing. I'm sure there are people at the factory who can do this in .5 seconds, but it took me a good 15-20 minutes of fumbling. LOL!

Back