Raptor 350 inner cam bearing removal

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaNutz

Reaction score
I'm not new to engines. I have the entire head stripped, but am stuck on the inner camshaft bearing. This is a 2007 with the inner ball style bearing. I have a inner bearing puller, and only have been able to move it around 1/8". I tried to heat the head up around it to 250+ degrees around the bearing. Also froze the head, then heated up the aluminum around the bearing again, and only got a tiny more movement. I did it quickly, as the puller and inner bearing still had frost on them.

It's a open unsheilded bearing, from what I can see. So I can't do the grease punch method. Also, I can knock the bearing back down, but it won't move up past where I was previously. Everything else came off with no effort. It's a low use factory head.

Next I'm going to try throwing it on an old pan in a grill and heating up the entire head to around 250.

Just trying to see if anyone found a better or easier solution.1000003666.jpg1000003665.jpg

I got it. I was only trying to heat around the bearing before, and I think it was cooling down too quick. I let the entire head heat up to around 260 and the bearing almost fell out. I hit the bearing puller once and it popped out.

I was nervous about heating the head and possibly making a valve seat come loose. I should have known better. More spread out heat was the key. I used a heat gun, localized on the backside of where the bearing is, and let it heat up more evenly. I have mostly worked on water cooled aluminum heads in the past. The fins ability to soak up heat threw me off.

View attachment 1000003720.jpg
View attachment 1000003721.jpg

Onto cleaning it up for rebuild. Still, if anyone has found a different method that works, like to hear it.

Back