How To: 400ex A-Arms Warrior 350 Long Travel Suspension!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duneracerweston

Reaction score
This is a tutorial on how to put 400ex a arms on your warrior to make it longer travel and a better ride quality.

Note: the exact spacing and a arms setup will not be the same on your machine/frame because mine has been tweaked out of shape slightly.

this is a fairly simple Mod

materials you will need:

Washers/aluminum spacer material
Aftermarket 400ex a arms with Yamaha ball joints

Tools:

17mm wrench
14mm wrench
8mm alen socket (for ASR A-Arms)
Red loctite
Cutting tool (if using spacer material)

the process is extreamly simple.

unwrap your new a arms. pout the joints in and set them on the machine. you will notice the lowers will not work as a direct fit, and the uppers will fit but there is a large gap on the outsides of the a arms and the shock mount on the a arm dose not line up correctly this is were the spacing comes into play here are a few pictures of how mine is spaced, remember you will need to do yours to match your frame.

front upper and lower mounts left side
IMG_20120106_114007.jpg

rear upper and lower mounts left side notice the missing aluminum spacer on the lower this is how you make the shock mounts line up correctly you may need to space it away from the frame but my frame is tweaked so i didn't need to
IMG_20120106_114042.jpg

Tie Rods

to have the correct tierod length refer to the following chart and the chart at the bottom of the page

Note: sizing is for the female type tierod not the male type/honda style tierods

warrior arm sizing vs tierod length
+2+0 = 12.25"
+2+1 = 12.25"
+3+0 = 13.25"
+3+1 = 13.25"
+4+0 = 14.25"
+4+1 = 14.25"
Ect.

Shocks:

Now that your a arms are mounted and spaced your next question you will have is, "shock, which one should i use?" well there is a couple different answers to that so we will go through each.

using ASR LT +2+1 400ex A-Arms:

this is the suspension setup i chose because it equates to a +4+1 A-Arm setup on a warrior. you will need a 17.5 inch shock like off of a YFZ450X this will bolt up and go with the propper shock stroke

Using any stock replacement type a arm from +0+0 - +3+1:

As long as these arms are aftermarket that were meant to use the stock 400ex shocks with Yamaha ball joints you can use any old style YFZ shock or 700 Raptor shocks that are 16" long these will work with this setup.

Fullflight +3+0 LT A-Arms:

Unknown as i do not have the specifics on these a arms. I will update this if i learn of the specifics.

IMPORTANT:

before ordering A-Arms they must have heim style joints on the upper and lower A-Arms all others if modified to fit voids manufacturer warranty

400ex arms VS. warrior arms
Oem length 400ex ARMS = +2+0 WARRIOR ARMS
+1+0 = +3+0
+1+1 = +3+1
+2+0 = +4+0
+2+1 = +4+1
+3+0 = +5+0
+3+1 = +5+1
ECT.

Last edited:
You can do this with stock 400ex a-arms? They have to aftermarket, correct?

you could but you would either need to changer the tapper in the spindals or change the arms over to Yamaha ends i will add the tierod info shortly

if you did this with stock 400ex a arm could you not just use the honda spindles and hubs?

Latest posts

Back