handling problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a brand new 05' 350 wolverine and have installed a 424 (of course) to help with the handling. Definite improvement, but the thing still has torque steer. The front end tends to wander where it wants to when driving it. It don't matter if its in 2 or 4 wheel drive either. I have driven other 350's and they all handle like this. It can be tiring during a long ride. I even installed a Denton steering stabilizer, helped some, but still sucks compared to other machines. Am I missing something or is this just a trail of the atv?!

I have the same trouble with mine. I'm thinking it may be toe-in causing mine. Haven't had time to experiment yet though.

Does anyone know what the factory spec is for toe-in?

Make sure the 424 is working properly. Put the machine up on an ATV lift and spin the tires. In 2wd, the 424 should be silent and the front wheels should not spin. When I got mine, I had to ajust the 424 a bit.

Torque steer is usually something associate with the front wheels (in front wheel drive cars). You'll point the wheel/bars one way, and the torque will try to turn the wheel/bars. Is that what's happening to your machine?

The 424 is working fine. "Torque steer" was the best way I could describe it. Its not like spinning the tires on a front wheel drive car torque steer, but rather the gearing inside the front wants to pull the machine to one side and then the other. I read about toe in and toe out somewhere and they said that toe in would help with the problem and toe out would increase it. Don't know really. I even tried different rims and tires, no help. Any other thoughts on what I could do??

That sounds like something that should only be happening in 4wd. The limited slip up front will sometimes hunt for traction a bit. I can feel it at times, but not as bad as you describe. I'm puzzled as to why that would happen in 2wd. Have you ever changed the front diff fluid?

I haven't changed the fluid yet, has less than 100 miles on it so far. I would like to go with a big bore kit to gain more power but without good handling what's the point.

I'm really stumped as to what's causing that. I've never noticed anything like that on my machine.

I would pull out the tape measure and check the toe in. Mesure from sidewall to sidewall at the front of the tire then at the back. I would take a guess its off a little which can be corrected by adjusting the tierods.

the 424 doesn't make a "true" 2 x 4 because it doesnt disconnect the front limited slip and you can experience some 4x4 feelings on hard pack

Well after months of guess work, I decided to start from scratch and remove the aftermarket rims and tires and put the stockers back on. As much as I dislike the 2 ply stockers they provide a MUCH better ride as far as comfort!! Ya know what? The torque steer has all but disappeared! The bike feels lighter and I now can ride it without being beaten to death from shock and "torque steer". Who would have thought it was that simple!? Sure I will need to fix a few more flat tires, but those stockers are far better on my body than the 6 ply bias tires I was running! How are all the 25" tires ride for those who have running them?? Might switch to 25's but they will have to be radials!!

Believe it or not, I was running ITP Holeshots XCR & XCT's in 22" on 10" rims!! I wanted a 6ply sport performance tire and the only way to get them is in 10". The only way that they would fit without hitting the disc brakes is to run 2 wheel spacers, looked great, rode like a buckboard! Live and learn I guess.

Ah, gotcha! Yeah, the spacers probably caused that funky handling. Glad you figured it out! And glad the spacers didn't toast the front bearings!

I am still running the 2" spacers in the back with the stock tires. The width in the rear is only slightly wider than the front by about an inch on either side max. The rear spacers do offer better off camber handling and cornering speed. The machine is much less likely to two wheel when turning. The spacers on the front with the stock tires didn't have the bad handling I experienced with the 6plys. I have no doubt that it was indeed the tires and not the spacers.

Latest posts

Back