Engine oil

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Reaction score
What's everyone running for engine oil?

I used to run Mobil 10w-40 which worked just fine. I found some Castrol 4Stroke motorcycle oil at PepBoys (of all places). I've found that my machine is much easier to shift when it's up to operating temp. It's a conventional oil.

Anyone here running a full synthetic? How do you like it?

the shifting is ok but i have to put in my clutch kit cause ofthe 25's

I run fully synthetic Mobile 1. However, I don't suggest this for the newer auto clutches - and by newer, I'm talking newer than '98 I think.

Why? Well, Mobile 1 5-30 has friction modifiers - this is hard on the clutch material of the machines I mentioned above. The older units have a auto clutch matrial that this won't harm.

Now, for those of you that pay attention, there are some oils that don't use friction modifiers - Yamalube in a full synthetic is one of those.

IIRC, 10w-40 (car/truck) oil does use friction modifiers.

I'm really tempted to try a full synthetic.

Oil

I've tried a number of oils from semi-to full synthetic. I always go back to Honda HP4. Never had a clutch problem, always seemed to make things shift easier. I've had full synthetic "fly out the pipe" on a Kawi 1100 street bike that was in good shape (Torco full synth...god it made that bike shift smooth...sigh). Some guys go to a semi/full synth and loose their clutch...my experience is that it usually isn't the oil's fault. If you go full-synth in a bike with high mileage/hours on it, and the clutch goes, you probably were going to need a new clutch soon anyway.

Arctic Cat 0w40 fully synthetic, starts so easily when 30 below outside, the oil starts moving almost instantly. Easy on the starter, all internal parts are lubricated earlier, easy on the rings, safe for the wet clutch, good stuff all around in my opinion.

How about Royal Purple Atv oil? I was thinking of giving it a try this time!, Anyone else used it :?:

Use the best!

I use Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil. Check it out, it's Awesome in my 1997 Wolverine! Go to my website below to check it out. Click on "online store" for info on the above 4 Stroke lube. Feel free to read about other lubes and opportunities.

Don

Any results with the royal purple atv oil? I use it in my Eclipse and love the stuff! It never breks down even at high speeds over long periods of time and never over heats. By the way I to run the YamaLube in my wolverine and like it but it can be hard to shift into first when its cold.

Back