decel backfire

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vet14tango

Reaction score
When I get heavy on the throttle and let off I get a loud gunshot backfire. Any ideas? Recently had the 200 mile service done and it started after that. Valves maybe?

What year? My 08 has pretty much done that from the day I bought it but not a real loud backfire but loud enough.

Its an 09. It didn't start until after the valves were adjusted. Also after the valve adjustment I have some power loss. Not a bunch but I can tell its not as powerful as it was before. Before about 53mph was pretty easy and after I have to get her wound out pretty far to attain 50mph. Any ideas school me up folks.

Do you know everything that they did during the service?

Yeah I would check with your dealer and let me know i HAVE NEVER GOTTEN MINE OVER 50.(CAPS)

I was starting to loose top end speed. Once I changed my belt, I got my top speed back again. How many miles are on your belt?

I'm running an EPI clutch kit and I think it stretched my belt and wore it out a little quicker than a stock set up would have. I changed mine around 5500KM's (3400miles). When I changed it, it was still within the factory specs. ...but it was enough to slow me down.

What does the belt have any thing to do with the backfiring? I have 1400 miles on my wolvy and the belt still looks brandnew.

My 06 450 was doing the same thing. It seem to be worst on hot days. I jetted my bike and put a hmf pipe on and it has not done it since. I think it's lean. Try jetting it. It worked on mine.

It seems that most machines are a bit "lean" from the factory these days to meet EPA regs. I'm betting that going up one size on the main would probably eliminate the backfiring.

running lean test

If you think your running lean, give it a little choke and see if it fixes it. If so your running lean, if not, then something else is wrong.

Back