Cob knobbed warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenstein's-warrior

Reaction score
Hello all new here. As my name and the title suggests. I have a Frankenstein'd warrior. Bought it a few years ago for super cheap running. Got it home and wanted to straighten up the harness and get a new key as the previous owner lost the old one and "supposedly" bypassed it. Well that may have been true but there's a lot more bypassed on it. I ended up doing something at that time to make it stop running. Tried and tried to mess with it to get it running again to no avail. After sitting I've decided to mess with it again. I've done servicing to it, checked compression to make sure everything is still okay. Now onto the issues I'm here for. I bought a brand new 88 warrior harness as that's what the vin tells me it is. The issue lies in the cdi and I presume the stator also. It looks to have a 86-89 yfm250 cdi and possibly a 95+ warrior stator. Only the plugs are different compared to that stator. Wire colors match though. The quad was running before and since doing whatever I did before it's now not. I'll attach photos as well. I'm not sure how they bypassed all the safety features as there's only one plug in the cdi still and the other 4 ran directly to the stator. They backed into the old harness and tied nearly all the browns and some other wires together. My question is, is anybody mildly familiar with splicing in a cdi on this year since there so hard to come by. I don't feel like spending what the quad is even worth just in parts to get it back to what it should be. It's even cheaper just to buy everything id actually need from a newer warrior and convert it, cause it seems id need new cdi, stator, cover, flywheel, possibly rectifier/regulator and whatever else I might need. I had it where I thought it would run but I just couldn't get the cdi to fire the coil. Im not sure if the stator is toast or cdi is now or what. Stator wires coming out of my motor now are three whites that much original harness, red, white, green, brown. Cdi wires are red/white, black/white, black on a plug matching original harness. Wires that ran straight to stator are white/red, white/black, brown, black. The only wire still hooked up between the two was the brown wire so I do know that goes together. I believe the green on stator is for the charging coil as i get continuity between that wire and the motor so I put it to black on the cdi as if I recall I got ground through that by checking that to the black on the plug. Could be wrong on that and just guessing mostly. Also my start and killswitch worked before on the handlebar and now the plug controlling those doesn't have a plug anywhere since I bought a new one and I think they just had it spliced in. I did get my start to work at one point but it would only click the solenoid. It wouldn't allow it turn the starter. Also starter, solenoid, and coil are new. Any help for the mess is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-204156.png
    Screenshot_20231028-204156.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231023-091829.png
    Screenshot_20231023-091829.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
OK, post a good picture of all its wires and connectors and I can tell you what it is.

It's exactly like the pic I posted. It only has one 3 prong plug hooked up still thinking one was cut off. The plug that's still on there is red/white, black/white, black. Orange wire. And loose wires are white/red, white/black, brown, black. I can upload a pic tomorrow morning before work. As for stator, I don't have good access to wires on it but there's one 3 prong all white wire plug which matches original harness whites and then there's a red, white, green, brown that were ran straight to cdi

This is the cdi wires. Red/white,black/white,black on a plug. White/red,white/black, black brown I think should've been on a plug or plugs. Then the orange for the coil

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_184916259_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231030_184916259_HDR.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 0
Is anybody familiar with splicing in a different cdi? Or should I just opt to buy a 90s-2000s electrical for the quad.? The quad was running when I first got it so it can be done. Even after all the schematics I'm just not sure how to bypass the safetys which I'm presuming are preventing it from firing

It's probably easier and better off in the long run to just swap everything over with fresh new stuff. Youll eliminate alot of unknown variables being soneone made a puzzle of it for you already, youll never know if somethings actually broke or if its just not compatible with the rest of it.
plus, as you put it together you'll get a good understanding of what goes where as far as safety switches and whatnot so if you still have issues you at least know where to look

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back