Are the bigger tires worth it?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storms

Reaction score
I have read alot of forums about people getting bigger tires for mudding. How much bigger than the stock tires 23" can you go before you start to lose some of the handling? What else needs to be done to the Wolverine after changing to a larger tire?

I honestly don't beleive in it. Some of my buddies ride big bore machines and if they feel a popwer difference, we'll certainly feel it on our machines.

I ride a lot in Massachusetts. I've ridden on 23" 489's for almost a year and a half. I tag a few rocks, but I invested in some good skid plates.

Another thing to remember is the Wolive isn't the ideal machine for mud bogging. I look at it is more of a sporty trail machine.

If you want bigger tires for the mud you should go for some 25s. I had 23s for a while but I got tired of getting stuck all the time. You won't need any mods for the 25s because the fenders have enough clearance. You should not really notice a power loss but depending on the tread of the tire, it will be a little harder to turn (but that is to be expected)
But if you are as serious as me in the mud, I went and bought a 2 inch lift kit and 27 inch dirt devils.... very rarely do i get stuck and ive never had that much power loss.... but overall if you are in some mud but you want it to feel as stock as possible I would recommend 25 inch mudlites, they should get the job done.

Wolvymudder said:
If you want bigger tires for the mud you should go for some 25s. I had 23s for a while but I got tired of getting stuck all the time. You won't need any mods for the 25s because the fenders have enough clearance. You should not really notice a power loss but depending on the tread of the tire, it will be a little harder to turn (but that is to be expected)
But if you are as serious as me in the mud, I went and bought a 2 inch lift kit and 27 inch dirt devils.... very rarely do i get stuck and ive never had that much power loss.... but overall if you are in some mud but you want it to feel as stock as possible I would recommend 25 inch mudlites, they should get the job done.

what year bike do you have? and what lift kit.... i would be interested in a lift ....did you get any ground clearence improvement? thank :D s

Yes you will gain frame ground clearance. but Your rear diff will still be at the same height unless you add bigger tires. because a lift kit will not raise the diff at all.

The year is either a 2000 or 2001. It was a good deal on ebay so i bought it. It is true that the rear diff doesnt gain any clearance but everything else does! I added the 27 inch tires and I instantly noticed a lot less drag in the mud...I would rather have just my diff drag through the mud than the entire bottom half boggin down in it!-Overall if you want to have the extra clearance for those big mud tires i would definitely do it.
Hope this helps Wolvymudder

Back