American Star heims too tight

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaNutz

Reaction score
I found its a common issue on some ASR joints after some use. But never found an answer besides "try again" with another set. Mine are brand new. 3 of the 4 are way too tight. I tried cycling them with chain lube, and allowed it time to dry. It was a bit looser before the lube dried up, then just as tight as they started. I was nearly lifting the atv up by one wheel to get it to move with no shock attached on the side with 2 stiff joints. I tried more lube a few times over a few days, cycling them again, and no change. I tried riding the quad around a bumpy yard for a couple hours and it got worse. It has smoother up and down movement but I'm flexing the handle bars trying to turn it.

Steering stem is very free with tierods disconnected.

I got a response from ASR saying he personally uses wd40 after washing. So I tried that. Helps for a few minutes and then tightens right back up

I wanted to buy the sealed balljoints, but they sold out a couple days before I was going to buy them.

Anyone had any luck getting them to free up? Heat gun or hair dryer? Boiling? Maybe spinning them in a drill press and dropping in water to cool off?

You can't safely ride a atv at high speed if the steering is nearly locked-up.

Latest posts

Back