96 350 won't rev up

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollerstud98

Reaction score
My 96 350 does not rev up, hit the throttle and it starts to backfire and spit gas out the carb. Not sure what it could be. I cleaned the carb out real good because before it would just stall out when you touched the throttle or turned off the choke. Now it stays running but just won't rev up. Timing tensioner seems to be good so I'm not sure what else it could be as I have no knowledge of these bikes.

Where on the carb is the gas coming out of?

I have the filter housing off and it is spitting it out there, I guess it is backfiring when it does that.

Hmm sounds like it may have jumped pout of time, for whatever reason. Timing chain/sprockets may be worn.

I would pull it apart and check to see if everything is in spec.

Thats what we thought as well, when we align the T with the mark on the case on the bottom of the motor, the top alignment is about 1/2 a tooth off of TDC, not sure if that is enough to throw it off that much. Do these bikes need a battery to run? Right now I have no battery on it.

Could it maybe be something to do with the reverse switch or park brake causing the rev limiter to kick in?

wont rev up

hey i got the same problem with my wolvie...wont rev up , sputters, backfires and mist comming out of the air box side of the carb...it starts good and idles fine but wont rev. i checked timing as well looked fine marks match.. i havent got around to checking valve clearances i'll keep ya posted....

Try unplugging your park brake first, then see about grounding out the reverse switch, I read about guys having these problems pretty common. I haven't gotten around to doing anymore work on mine yet.

take the cover off the top of the carb in there is a long spring..it was broken on my 350 and caused similar issues. when u gas it the diaphram under the spring opens... no spring opens too quickly causing an air fuel mixture prob. spring was a couple dollars.

i am sure of the problem it has happened 2 me twice put the spring in and see for yourself

My spring isn't broken but thats not to say it isn't worn out either. I talked to the guy I bought my 350 from and he said he always had trouble with the reverse switch. Not sure what though.

wolvie idle problem

well finally got around to checking valve clearances on my 350 wolverine. i had to reset the exhaust back to .007" and the intake to .0035" . now she reves up nicely and does not sputter hopefully its problem solved.

my park brake was seized up and in the engaged position. was able to hit it with a hammer and move it enough that it revs now. next thing is to get some new front bearings and get the front end in order

Parking Brake Causing all Kinds of Problems

My 2002 started doing the same thing right after I got hung up with a large log that damaged the rear brake plate. Come to find out that it caused the Parking Brake Switch to engage. All it would do is idle but as soon as you gave it any throttle it would spit, backfire and die. I traced the wires from the parking brake switch at the handlebar and unplugged it at the white connector just under the handlebars. The problem went away. I have ordered a brake plate for the caliper and I am going to just completely remove the parking brake system.

Latest posts

Back