.450 camshaft

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missouritrailrider

Reaction score
would a .450 megacycle kill my bottom end on my bike with a je 10:1 piston and the port job?

shouldnt the added comp and porting work compensate and still make it have more torque than stock?

shouldnt the added comp and porting work compensate and still make it have more torque than stock?

No effence man but we've talked about this so much and if you read my reviews and about cams on this board you will find out why you will have LESS torque.
All race cams for are engines have more overlap. Which controls dynamic compression or cylinder pressure. When piston speed is slow dynamic compression is very low as a big cam is bleeding off compression as the intake valve is actually staying open for longer then say a smaller cam... Almost to the point where air is acutally starting to be pushed out the intake tract at lower rpms before the intake valve can close in time. This kills the low end as dymanic pressure is low. When you increase RPMs air flow dynamics start to take into effect then dynamic compression will start to come up as the air starts to build volecity and momentium also filling the cylinder better.
This is why you can run more compression and a bigger cam together and get away with it on pump gas as cylinder PSI or compression is lower...

Feels less at some RPM points then stock and I have my cam timing advanced 5 degrees to help low end.

ok man thanks for your help, unless I can get this for really cheap, i'm gonna go with the .415 or .430, how can I buy the .415 do I need to go to the manufacturer?

The .415" from megacycle is basically a torque camshaft made for more lower Rpms as its got less overlap then the rest.
The .430" is a racing cam shaft for mid to top end power from web. Almost as much overlap as the .450. These are two different cams in where they will provide you power.
You should read the camshaft thread in the turtorals section on this forum.

Comon guys me and Jason did a lot research and have had experience with about all the cams made for a Warrior, read the sticky we posted. Measure your Compression PSI, if your lower then 150 PSI with a stock cam then don't go with a racing cam, a torque cam will make better power.

Back