04 piston for wolvy

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfigari

Reaction score
Anyone know where i can get a piston for my 04 wolverine 350. Also has anyone bored theirs over. What did you do?

jfigari said:
Anyone know where i can get a piston for my 04 wolverine 350. Also has anyone bored theirs over. What did you do?

If you want to bore yours over you will have to send your cylinder in to a machine shop so they can cut the cylinder to match the piston. Sometimes you can find package deals on eBay?Where you buy the piston from them and then send them your cylinder and they match it to what size you bought and send it back with everything you need (rings, piston, all that stuff). I have personally not seen one for yours but with a little e-net research I?m sure you can come up with something. If you just want to stay standard then you can get them at the dealership or order it from a parts house online.

04 piston

i have a 04 wolverine, and just bought a cylinder(90$), and a wiseco 10.25 to 1 compression .40 over piston. stock compression is 9 something. i plan to have that cylinder bored soon(30$) so i can install it. i baught the cylinder so i could keep my stock one. i know of at least three companys that make pitons, but everyone ive talked to recomends going with a high compression.

Higher compression is good - and bad.

The good is that you get more squish of the fuel and the air - which in turn, generates more power. The bad is that it causes more heat, takes more juice for your starter to turn over, and if high enough, can lead to detonation problems.

I didn't have any detonation problems once I dropped back down from my 11:1 piston to my current 10.5:1. The best offset for detonation is higher octane - which is more expensive and more of a pain to either mix or find.

Back on track. A good machine shop will only bore your cylinder to match it to the piston you provide them. If they say they'll just do it to whatever spec the book says, move on down the road and find another shop.

Boring won't decrease the longevity of the cylinder - it just reduces the number of times it can be bored later to clean up an out of round cylinder or some light scarring.

A 0.010" over bore is a nice cleanup and does require a new piston and rings. It can put most machines back into "as good as new" condition for the upper end. Keep in mind, you want to make sure your valves are in good sealing condition while yer in there. A nice lapping is pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back