hot start dificult

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venom

Reaction score
Cold it starts fine. but hot IT DOESNt, i cranck it almost to death and nothing, i jumped start it to get home although if i waited 10 min an let it cooled it wil start normal.
help?

Stator?? err i was more incline for fueling issues. But then again i have no experience in bikes... My bearing cluch is also shot ,i hear a clang, clang clang when cranking and on stopping. Bad stator also causes weak spark?
Since the exhaut upgrade jetting and no lid the bike is running very very good( although i think i a bit rich... 155 main) i already had these prob before the upgarde, but i think it wasn t so appearent.

yeah my 01 and 92 did the same thing they would fire right up cold but after they warmed up they wouldn't pop off unless I push started them or let them cool for 15-20 minutes
get a test light and when it won't start pull the plug boot off the spark plug and see if there is power going through it while cranking if not it's most likely the stator

I would get an OHM meter first and ohm thge stator to be sure before buying one.

here's the info on how to do it all you need is a digital ohm/multimeter
m-R06H5Vu6Vwz1Qjrvy7C-g.jpg

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

Along with what HAULER is saying test hot and cold, since it sounds like its only happening hot. If it ohms higher than specs hot youve found your problem. The pickup coil is mainly used in starting. Have you tried pop starting it while it is hot?

i have a multimeter :).
yes i did pop started it after i killed the batt...
thanks a lot its night right now but tomorrow will post resuls cold and hot
thanks a lot guys.
But if it is the stator then im having a weak spark and losing power , right?
its a 2000 model 3GD and lots of number and letters lolol

If it pop started hot after you killed the battery, Ill almost guaranty its the stator. If the pickup coil is going out of acceptable range hot then it will either not spark or at the wrong time. Then it will cool down down and go back into acceptable range. Running you may not notice anything since the pickup coil of the stator is mainly used on electric start.

My bike is doing exactly the opposite! I can crank for ten minutes cold then it will start or push start right up cold. But hot it starts right up every rotation! what are your thoughts? Don't mean to jack, but this seems kind of on topic?

Well ohm yours cold and compare to the specs that hauler posted. If your pickup coil tests out of spec cold you've found the problem.

Just finished mesuring.
The 3 white wires cold 0.9ohm, hot 1.3ohm No continuity to ground
Orange wire/green wire conector 295 cold 392 hot
red wire/white wire male conector 490 cold 612 hot

what do you guys think?
new stator?

Back