02 blue warrior 350 running trouble

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louk

Reaction score
Hi guys hope u can help well here goes my 02 blue 350 warrior starts up and runs but sputters backfires like its lean until it warms up then its good. i thought it was a carb problem rebuilt carb and cleaned a bunch of times then i got a z400 carb rebuilt that bought brand new raptor intake manifold still runs the same way no change so i assume its not fuel related
now timing and valves are dead on stock exhaust and air box new piston and rings and gaskets and seals new ngk spark plug. now guys this is what i did i bought this 02 blue warrior 350 as a roller i have a 99 warrior 350 motor i put in i traced out the stator wires and pulser coil wires and soldered them in. like i said bike starts right up runs bad until it is totally warmed up i also did the clutch e-brake wire bypass. so my question is by using the early stator and flywheel from a 99 350 warrior in a 02 350 warrior would this cause my problem. let me know what u all think give me some input on this thanks in advance
Lou

yes the stators were different after 01 the 02 is a totally different stator and flywheel I blew my 02 motor and had a 92 that I swapped into it and had to use the stator and flwheel from the 02 motor to make it work with the 02 wiring harness I believe the cdi is different also

Hard to say. Are you sure your jetting is right? Some engines are just cold natured like that. The 3 hondas we have are like that at times. Give it throttl when cold and it has a bad flat spot. Get it warm and they are fine. Every now and then my warrior will do that. My dad's 300 honda 4x4 has been that way since new in 99. And, yes guys, it's jetting is stock and perfect for our altitude.

i have the 99 cdi box but i would need a 97 to 01 wiring harness now to make it work right
Lou

well i swapped 3 different cleanned carbs all run the same thats why i thought its a timing issue from mix matching parts
Lou

Also, I doubt it is electrical. If it were, it would do it no matter what the engine temp is. There have been instances when the stator starts to go, where it will be hard to start, and once warm it starts everytime. Some need to be pop started. But, I've never had to deal with that, personally.

Last edited:
it seems to idle and run better when its good and hot but when cold it sputters backfires even had the header pipe cherry red like its lean but 3 different carbs doing the same exact thing kinda hard to believe im thinking the cdi is getting wrong signals setting timing wrong thats why if some one had a 97 to 01 harness that would be a big help then i can run the 99 cdi and stator
Lou

well guys thanks for the quick responces gonna go to bed got work tommorow will check in after work good night guys
Lou

The ignition timing can do that. It's prob worth the time to get the correct year harness/cdi and see what it does. Since you've tried the carbs, and it gets hot enough to make the header glow, and if you have no rips or tears in the intake boots, the ignition timing is all that is left.

yeah that's exactly what he needs is the correct harness or the stator and flywheel from an 02 motor

so does any body have a 97 to 01 harness they wanna sell?
Louk

Hey Lou it`s Al. Glad those parts worked out for you if you need anything else let me know.

hey everyone the 02 350 warrior is fixed. here is the story ag2560 is a member here his name is Al he works on warriors and has a lot of parts he was advertising on the craigslist so i called him to see if he has a harness he said no but i got an o2 stator and flywheel so i drove an hour and met Al he's a real nice guy he sold me the parts and i also bought a flywheel puller from him great prices too got the flywheel and stator home and installed it and put back origional carb. and manifold on and it runs like a new bike i just got done ripping on it. idles nice no backfiring no stalling im verry happy now. thanks again Al ag2560
Louk

Sweet man, glad to hear it! I'm not well versed in the difference in the harness between the years. It was stupid that they changed them so often.

ag2560 aka Al lives in edison they change things to make more money i think anyway
Louk

Back