making a scooped hood!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1998yamahawarrior

Reaction score
well as most of you now im in the process of sprucing up my warrior. well my hood looks like **** so i figure why not try where so many have failed to finish. i am going to mold a scoop on to my original hood. im gonna take pics doing as many steps as possible, so that if someone wanted to recreate it they could. or if it turns out really good i may be willing to make custom ones for you guys.so heres a pic of it before i even do anything to it.

well i looked around for something i had that i could use as a base to lay the fiberglass on. it may be redneck but i found a 2l bottle that would work great, i also need to get rid of the damaged louvers. the piece that would normally be right behind the headlights may get cut out i will see as i go.

next i cut the bottle to a shape that i could glue to the hood atleast temporarily and used some tape to hold it in place til the glue dries. it wont end up be the final shape but a good base. i also checked to be sure it would fit over the lightbar on the frame, just in case i ever want to get a different hood and go back to the way it was i didnt want to cut it off.

trust me i will im trying to do this like a write-up so that if the mods want they can move it to tutorials for others to do

well we will see how it turns out, when i get mine done i wanna try to make a mold so i can do all fiberglass ones. the worst part is this is only one of the ideas i had to shape it. i may need to go buy some more hoods

Good luck man, I made a one piece fiberglass tail that has the seat moulded in and frenched tail lights for my XL600 . MANY MANY hrs. to build . Started from scratch . Ill send you some pics, feel free to ask for advice, I can tell you what NOT to do .

deadlastracing said:
You got an XL600?? You continue to surprise me man.
YEP ! Complete custom , all done by me . I started building it super motard style Way before anyone else ever thought it was cool .

Lets not rape this thread , Lets start a new thread - Name some of your past toys . NOT latex ! LOL.

well i got my first layer of fiberglass cloth on. i like the cloth to the matting cause ease of use and it makes for a stonger product with less layers. it looks a little rough in the pic but that will come out as i layer more. im also going to be putting alteast one layer on the underside to direct the air that comes through to go down to the header and motor. this is gonna be a slow process but i am good with fiberglass. on a side note 2000warrior350 should recognize the box im am using to set the hood on as the resin drys.
1269573787891.jpg

well got another layer on the top and a layer on the bottom. ill see how stiff it is and decide if i want any more layers, im trying not to add to much weight to it but still make it durable. if i dont need anymore layers itll be time for glazing putty and/or bondo depending on how it looks after a little sanding. by the way if anyone has a beat up hood laying around let me know cause im interested in making another couple styles to, but i would make a mold of it and modify the copy. heres some updated pics:
1269752787517.jpg

1269752757703.jpg

also i need a easy way to make a mold if anyone has any ideas. i wanna make a mold that could be used multiple times.

Back