Which way to build her up.. ?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youll need an old decomp head for the pull conversion and do the 397. Also what exhaust are you running and do you have a good air filter set up

decomp head?? i dont have the slightest clue what that is.. ? lol

maybe i'll just get a new battery and a new starter, and solder the dang cables to the battery..

my problem is my wires keep fallin off.. ive tried everythign from lock washers with locktite, dbl nutting em, etc etc etc..

maybe.. just maybe.. Stover nuts, with locktite, dubble nutted AND soldered together...:???:

i have a K&N filter, was still running with the lid on tho.. and i had a supertrapp tuneable exhaust, but it spit the guts out on the trail one day.. a beer later it was cool enough to toss in my pack, but holy hell freakin noisy!!
20min ride = 2days of ears ringing.. seriously no bull!!!

the super trapp is alum, the pipe is steal.. so you can imagine the weld job that was on thier when i got it.. I managed to seal it, but the things trashed, time for something new... and then also the head pipe blew a chunk outta itself one day.. i got it patched, a piece of pipe welded over the hole, but yeah.. time for new..

basicaly, anything the air touches, goin in and outtat he machin, needs to be replaced.. from the airbox/filter, to the baffle.. the carb, the piston, teh valves.. hehe.. that sums it up perfectly! lol

whats the diff between the 379 and the 397.. power is lower in the rpms basicaly? lower rev limit.. correct? but there would be more power with 397.. correct?

now heres what i was wondering... if i go with say the 397, which lowers the power band, but does increase it overall from start to finish, would i wanna go with a cam for that lower power range, or would i wanna go with a cam for the higher range to improve the upper side of it.. kinda make the power more linear, as too opposed lots at the bottom and dieing off horribly towards the top end? (Thats kinda takin it to extreams but you get the idea..)

i plan on a cam to put the power in the middle kinda thing, but do i lean more towards bottom-middle, or middle-top end.. if ya get what im saying?

397 with a .430 will be a perfect set up. is the k&n clamp on, if not get a clamp on uni. decomp i mean by a head with the decompression lever. if you wanna get a new exhaust i might give a couple bucks for that supertrapp

397 with a .430 will be a perfect set up. is the k&n clamp on, if not get a clamp on uni. decomp i mean by a head with the decompression lever. if you wanna get a new exhaust i might give a couple bucks for that supertrapp

nah, you dont want it.. its seriously trashed.. not worth the cost of shipping.. lol theres no way to attach it to the pipe anymore.. it had been welded to the point of what looks like a combination of bird crap and a snake tangle, the holes to hold the plate section and baffle in are all tore out, bolts/screws all stripped etc etc etc..

I suppose a person could rebuild it with an aluminum welder and some fine craftsmanship.. hmm.. i should see if my cuz has access to an alum welder now that i think about it.. maybe i could fix it up.. but nah, seriously, it isnt worth it.. unless someone wanted to fix it up just to prove it could be done.. lol

that and after moving 3 times, it would take some serious effort to find the baffle n plate section.. im sure i still have it someplace tho.. lol:crazy:

~L~

379 stroker
no base gasket
+4 key
39mmFCR carb off of a yfz 450
A GOOD port job
FMF PB Header
HMF silencer
A GOOD intake setup IE UM racing FSR box and filter
14/40 gearing
+1 intake valve kibble spring set white GET THE TITANIUM VALVES
a .415 mega or .430 pow roll would be good cams

that would make something to hang onto right there :tup:

hehe, it just occured to me what FSR is.. :D

i havent been able to find any pics of that airbox tho.. lol

also was wondering, for some wierd reason, i been kinda leaning more towards the 397 stroker..

first what would be the diferences performance/ridability wise,
and 2nd, can you still eliminate the base gasket with the 397?

and also, whats involved with eliminating the base gasket? do you still put a film of sealant or something on there? have the mating surfaces machined to be flat? (Cant think of the proper word, you know where you kinda move it around on sandpaper and stuff as well to make it super flat/flush..)
any risk of leak it leaking, or if i say sink it in a river, is it gona get water in the crank etc?

i think after all the reading and searching etc, that this will likely be the way I go, although i was thinking maybe doin it with the 397 instead, and as for which cam, I'll get into some more indepth research.. gotta make me some of those circle charts of events n all that.. I ike those.. i can realy see and understand em n whats goin on, how they work out and effect it all.. lol

trying to read just posted numbers, kinda gives me a slight idea, but those charts do wonders for my comprehension level!

~L~

Back