Trail riding... what to expect/prepare for

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRK5892

Reaction score
hello,
So i am getting ready to gear up for our first experience trail riding... we are going to ride some Wisconsin trails... but i have a few questions... i have snowmobiled since I was a little guy. The law always turns their head when we ride thought town or up to a gas station... is that how trail riding is? can we pull up the a local watering hole on the quads and get food and then get back on the trail? anything in particular you would recommend i pack with me as i ride? just trying to get an idea of what the hell we are in for!

bring a tow strap. just do it lol. and police dont turn their heads very often to quads, so i dont suggest riding on the road. oh and if ya can pack an extra gallon of gas just in case if ya are going on a longer expedition.

Call the local sheriff department they should have a local trail map a
vailable with trails and road routes
as for things to watch out for animals and other oncoming riders deffinatly bring tow strap and a bag of the most commonly used tools for the warrior like 8,10,12,14mm wrenches and or sockets
plyers, screwdrivers

bring tow strap and a bag of the most commonly used tools for the warrior like 8,10,12,14mm wrenches and or sockets
plyers, screwdrivers

Yes and double yes! Also try and remember any tools that you may need that are not common. I have a separate bag packed every time I go wheel that has some stuff that my quad uses that most people probably won't have (shock pump, allen heads, axle wrenches, ect.)

If your doing a real day of riding, take everything you may or may not need, its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Also tyr and figure out your gas situation. I've been out with guys and there low on gas, have to head back and sometimes they don't make it.

Im an over packer though, its a good way to meed people too. I pack all kinds of tools, fluids, extras of levers and what-have-you-breakables, tire plugs, ect. I like top make sure there will be nothing to keep me out of commission besides a body break. If the Quad breaks, I'll fix it!

Keep a spare front and or rear tire in your truck. And some fix a flat. Would suck like a B if you have a flat. Trip = over.

Oh, and an extra fuse. Most harnesses have a slot for a second fuse. If not keep one in a sandwich bag under your seat.

I over pack too, but I've been one to drive an hr + just to have something break down and be a wasted day.

I usually take a back pack with me on long trips. I pack a a small 1/2 gallon jerry can with me, it fits perfect in the netting on the back of my pack. I bring a small 60pc ratchet set, extra plugs, jets, and WD40. Of course I pack a small length of chain, and 2 links just encase of an oppsie. Some tire in a tube, and a JB quick weld kit.

It all fits in my pack, and is less than 30lbs.

Get a Co2 tire repair kit from Wal-mart or offroad store. Works great! Small and compact, too.

For the love of god, bring extra clutch and brake levers AND (this is just as important) clutch and brake perch mounting clamps! You almost always have the tools just from the factory tool kit to take the 2 phillps or hex head bolts out, but you almost nvever have clamps. Whenever I part out a bike, or walk through the junk yard and spot a cycle, I grab them bitches!

you guys bring alot of stuff !!! ... i bring my master link key chain, yami tool kit and 1 gallon gas can .... that it ...... ITS A WARRIOR NOT A HONDA !!!!

Get a Co2 tire repair kit from Wal-mart or offroad store. Works great! Small and compact, too.
Thats what I meant by tire in a tube, or tire in a can. Whatever...
you guys bring alot of stuff !!! ... i bring my master link key chain, yami tool kit and 1 gallon gas can .... that it ...... ITS A WARRIOR NOT A HONDA !!!!
Lmao.. It's better to have it, and not need it.. If your 2 hours into the bush away from your truck, or any civilization. You wanna be prepared.

I only bring my fuel packs, master link, metric wrenches (tucked down infront of battery), factory tool kit, spark plug, tow rope, Co2 tire repair kit, I always make sure my spare fuses are in their holders and good, always check my oil before I start the ride, and I am going to begin carrying a clutch cable/ cable adjsuter/ lever/ clamp.

Btw, NONE of my Hondas have ever broken down. I've only ever seen Polaris, Arctic Cat, and a couple Zukes and Kawis broken down. Honda and Yamaha rarely need trail wrenching.

Hell just bring an entire parts warrior with you, make room and/or get a bigger trailer. lmao.

Hell just bring an entire parts warrior with you, make room and/or get a bigger trailer. lmao.

I bring my Fourtrax for a spare quad, when I go to hatfield. She's sat at camp twice now without even hitting the trails. But, she's there if I need her. Beats renting a quad.

Back